ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Olympic qualifying is in June

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
At least there's some type of substitute for the World Cup this summer.

The Concacaf U20 Tournament for players born in 2003 or after is in June. The top 4 go to the 2023 U20 World Cup and the top 2 go to the 2024 Olympics.

I realize that the pandemic has changed the calendar a ton but I wonder how much say the US had in getting this tournament changed to the summer when they can call in their best players. That said, its possible the US end up facing Honduras in Honduras for a spot in the Olympics and they'd probably be the underdog down there despite the talent they can bring in.

Potential players

Ricardo Pepi
Caden Clark (Leipzig on loan to RBNY)
Justin Che (Bayern on loan to Hoffenheim)
Kevin Parades (Wolfsburg)

Unfortunately, Reyna and Musah were born in November 2002 and Busio in May 2022. But they and 2001 birth years are eligible for the Olympics if they miraculously qualify.

2001s
Matthew Hoppe
Konrad DeLa Fuente
Johnny Cardoso
Tanner Tessman

Joe Scally
George Bello

Off topic but there’s a 17yr old American 2004 goalkeeper who plays for Chicago Fire and has yet to give up a goal in like 15 MLS appearances (last I checked). Before the sanctions against the Chelsea owner, the club was set to sign him for $5 million.

Last edited:
Off topic but there’s a 17yr old American 2004 goalkeeper who plays for Chicago Fire and has yet to give up a goal in like 15 MLS appearances (last I checked). Before the sanctions against the Chelsea owner, the club was set to sign him for $5 million.

Gabriel Slonina, I have watched him play a game this year, he beat DC United, he's a big kid, 6-3, but he has given up goals, he played 11 MLS games as a 16 year old.

I was kind of shocked he was only 17, he's pretty big, but when they did a closeup he looks like a kid.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Thanks to FK for starting a new thread on this as I completely forgot about this tournament.

Looks like we need to beat Nicaragua (easy), Costa Rica, then Honduras in Honduras to make the Olympics. We always lose to Honduras in the semis in the US so cant imagine us beating them in Honduras.

Looks like the Nicaragua game Saturday is on Concacaf's YouTube channel. Surprised FS2 or someone didnt pick it up.

It will be interesting to see 16 year old Obed Vargas join the team in the group stage. He is getting regular minutes in Seattle and that isn't easy to do in MLS with all of the 2nd tier South Americans gobbling up all the playing time across the league which is why most of these U20s dont play much in MLS which should be a crime. Nice of Seattle to release him. Remember Atlanta wouldn't release Miles Robinson for the Tokyo qualifers. Vargas was the 3rd youngest player in MLS history last year. He'll have a decision to make soon as like many USMNT guys, he can play for another country.....Mexico in his case. The best path to the national team is to grow up in the US in an immigrant household or grow up in Germany with an American military dad and German mom. If you grow up in the US in a non-immigrant household, you have almost no shot.

Last edited:
I was kind of shocked he was only 17, he's pretty big, but when they did a closeup he looks like a kid.
Poland was making a strong push for him, even going as far as lining him up for a roster spot in Qatar. I do believe though he stated he would stay with the U.S.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT