Oct 30, 2001
Pittman (Ark) 4-0
Aranda (Baylor) 4-0
Tucker (MSU) 4-0
Kiffin (Miss) 3-0
The šŸ (BC) 4-0

Norvell (FSU) 0-4

Reactions: therod
I was looking at that this weekend. Arkansas finally got it right. Aranda is impressive. Baylor seems like they have been consistent with every coach they have hired(football and basketball) in the last decade. I canā€™t believe their AD isnā€™t at an SEC program by now. Tucker has really surprised me. Kiffin may have finally matured, Iā€™ll wait and see how he handles the meat of his schedule. Hafley is getting the most out of his talent(more than any coach in D1. Whatā€™s impressive there is the current QB was the starter before Jurkovec transferred and didnā€™t enter the transfer portal. Cignetti doing great things with a run first offense. Norvell might be not make it through the season.

I was looking at that this weekend. Arkansas finally got it right. Aranda is impressive. Baylor seems like they have been consistent with every coach they have hired(football and basketball) in the last decade. I canā€™t believe their AD isnā€™t at an SEC program by now. Tucker has really surprised me. Kiffin may have finally matured, Iā€™ll wait and see how he handles the meat of his schedule. Hafley is getting the most out of his talent(more than any coach in D1. Whatā€™s impressive there is the current QB was the starter before Jurkovec transferred and didnā€™t enter the transfer portal. Cignetti doing great things with a run first offense. Norvell might be not make it through the season.
I really like Jeff Hafley, but BC really hasn't played anybody yet, and I don't think they are very good. Mizzou would make Pitt's running game look great.

Baylor isn't very good either.

There is a lot of substance with Arkansas and Ole Miss, imo. It will be interesting to see what they do this weekend.

Reactions: chirurgo
I really like Jeff Hafley, but BC really hasn't played anybody yet, and I don't think they are very good. Mizzou would make Pitt's running game look great.

BC and Pitt have had extremely similar schedules:

Both beat UMass, both beat a bad SEC East team. Both beat an FCS team. BC won at Temple. Pitt lost to Western Michigan.

Reactions: Jim Z
BC and Pitt have had extremely similar schedules:

Both beat UMass, both beat a bad SEC East team. Both beat an FCS team. BC won at Temple. Pitt lost to Western Michigan.
I'm not saying Pitt is a good team either.

We're 4 weeks in now. It's fairly obvious there isn't a good team in the league this year.

There is a lot of substance with Arkansas and Ole Miss, imo. It will be interesting to see what they do this weekend.
I predict that Arkansas gets its reality check this Saturday.

I'm not buying Ole Miss either, but if they do get rolled by Bama, that won't be the barometer to judge them by.

Norvell was a truly bad hire; fans disliked him from the start, he's done even worse than expectations, and now FSU can't really afford to fire another coach after only two years.

Really a pretty unique microwave mess for a team that was top 10 like five years ago.

It's week 4. Most schools haven't played many quality games yet and we don't know if some of those wins are any good, yet. Does anyone want to argue that Michigan State has achieved anything yet? Northwestern lost to Duke and Miami is nearly 1-3. Seems like Arkansas had a nice win Saturday but I'm not sure A&M also struggled with Colorado.

It's way too early to make any pronouncements on these guys.

I predict that Arkansas gets its reality check this Saturday.

I'm not buying Ole Miss either, but if they do get rolled by Bama, that won't be the barometer to judge them by.

I think UGA will thump Arkansas. I wouldn't be too surprised if Ole Miss beats Alabama.

Norvell was a truly bad hire; fans disliked him from the start, he's done even worse than expectations, and now FSU can't really afford to fire another coach after only two years.

Really a pretty unique microwave mess for a team that was top 10 like five years ago.

The neutral site Bama game broke them.

It's week 4. Most schools haven't played many quality games yet and we don't know if some of those wins are any good, yet. Does anyone want to argue that Michigan State has achieved anything yet? Northwestern lost to Duke and Miami is nearly 1-3. Seems like Arkansas had a nice win Saturday but I'm not sure A&M also struggled with Colorado.

It's way too early to make any pronouncements on these guys.
I agree with this take too.

Pittman has done an amazing job at Arkansas. To go from what they have been the last 4 years to where they are now is quite an accomplishment and it's good for their loyal fanbase. That said, they still might get thumped a few times this year.

Kendall Briles and Barry Odom were excellent hires for Pittman. The Hogs are working with a veteran group with many super seniors on the roster this year, including some from the transfer portal. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see this past Saturday as the high water mark for their program for a while. I still think the SEC West is too tough for the Hogs to ever be a serious player & long term, I think Pittman will eventually get devoured in the SEC coaching woodchipper.

Reactions: pittdan77

It is a mess down there but I think FSU would certainly can someone if they don't like the direction its going; even less than two years in. They can because they are FSU.

It is a mess down there but I think FSU would certainly can someone if they don't like the direction its going; even less than two years in. They can because they are FSU.
I can't comment on the finances but I think their AD has made it clear he's not going to fire someone again so quickly. So it'd only be likely if administration had big money lined up to replace both positions and was willing to look like the overly impatient program to potential coaches.

Reactions: docpanther26
A lesser man would go find the thread where people on this board were trying to tell me that Mel Tuckerā€™s seat was hotter than Narduzziā€™s.

Those coaches are two years in. How good should their teams be right now based on what they took over?

Reactions: pittdan77
There's also a bunch of second year HCs treading water. It's hard to hire a good coach.
This is always the first thought before you fire a coach. Who are you bringing in that will do better? I mean, look at what the revolving door did to Kansas? Unless you're a program with big money donors that are willing to pay for buyouts, you have to be careful with this when your program is okay but not great.

This is always the first thought before you fire a coach. Who are you bringing in that will do better? I mean, look at what the revolving door did to Kansas? Unless you're a program with big money donors that are willing to pay for buyouts, you have to be careful with this when your program is okay but not great.
Of course coaching matters a lot, but ultimately Les Miles is a great example of how the program (and the revenue supporting that program) matters more: at Oklahoma State he was "average". At LSU he was a national champion. At Kansas he was "bad". I am sure the guy didn't forget how to coach, so...

Of course coaching matters a lot, but ultimately Les Miles is a great example of how the program (and the revenue supporting that program) matters more: at Oklahoma State he was "average". At LSU he was a national champion. At Kansas he was "bad". I am sure the guy didn't forget how to coach, so...
You're not wrong. Miami is a program with a ton of support and look at how it's going. I guess the point is, it's easier to get these things wrong than it is to get them right.

Reactions: Gunga_Galunga
I can't comment on the finances but I think their AD has made it clear he's not going to fire someone again so quickly. So it'd only be likely if administration had big money lined up to replace both positions and was willing to look like the overly impatient program to potential coaches.

Their boosters covered Taggarts buyout (I think). But you can only go to that well so often before it is dry.

BC has played a bad Temple team, Colgate, Missouri and UMass so take into context the opponents. Baylor Texas State Texas Southern Kansas and beat Iowa State. Take a look at the schedules first. Pitt usually has a tough non-conference schedule. Next year is a tough one.

You're not wrong. Miami is a program with a ton of support and look at how it's going. I guess the point is, it's easier to get these things wrong than it is to get them right.
They have a lot of local talent and history and generally I think Miami could get good again. But are they even top 30 in revenue and attendance? Last I saw, they were a pretty distant third to Clemson and FSU in the ACC, which itself is a pretty big financial step back from the SEC and Big 10.

They have a lot of local talent and history and generally I think Miami could get good again. But are they even top 30 in revenue and attendance? Last I saw, they were a pretty distant third to Clemson and FSU in the ACC, which itself is a pretty big financial step back from the SEC and Big 10.
It's relative. There are schools that get blindly supported by fans and alumni regardless of performance. Then there is everyone else. If Miami finds a way to be a winner again, they'll have plenty of support.

ADVERTISEMENT