ADVERTISEMENT

3 1st and Goal at the 1s: story of the season

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
If you want to simplufy the reasons we had a disappointing year (given the easy schedule), I think all you have to do is look at the 3 1st and Goal at the 1s we had. PSU, Miami, BC. We managed 2 FG's and lost all 3.

Last edited:
Reactions: lilspainishflea
There were 4 this year. In the UCF game we went for it and got a TD. We won that game.
Pitt had a first and 10 at the 11, and scored on 4th and 2 from the 3, so the situation was different.

If you want to simply the reasons we had a disappointing year (given the easy schedule), I think all you have to do is look at the 3 1st and Goal at the 1s we had. PSU, Miami, BC. We managed 2 FG's and lost all 3.
Exactly - All those posters who want to blame Pickett, the OL or the RBs need to digest this.

The problem is with the OC. He refuses to score the easy way.

Play calling brought those results, not talent or lack of talent.

Exactly - All those posters who want to blame Pickett, the OL or the RBs need to digest this.

While 2 of those losses was the lack of talent. No reason to even be in those situations with Miami and BC.

He tried to do the qb sneak against bc and matthews was taking his time getting to his spot. Picket would have scored on that play

He tried to do the qb sneak against bc and matthews was taking his time getting to his spot. Picket would have scored on that play

But they did the sneaky rush up to the line and snap it thing and Matthews wasnt set. Sure that's on him but did Whipple have to get that cute? It was FIRST DOWN! Just run the effing ball 4 times and if you cant get in, so be it.

Don't blame Mathews. Why was Mathews wide?

Please don't tell me it was to take a defender away from the play.

That would be another example of over thinking things.

Reactions: Mikefln
If you want to simplufy the reasons we had a disappointing year (given the easy schedule), I think all you have to do is look at the 3 1st and Goal at the 1s we had. PSU, Miami, BC. We managed 2 FG's and lost all 3.
This alone should get an OC fired.

Who can argue otherwise. Particularly galling was the PSU series. This stuff isn't rocket science.
Line up under center and run the effin QB sneak four downs.

Especially with Wheeler as FB. Just have Wheeler push. It’s crazy.

The PSU game was the only bad call. The only bad call... and it was disastrously bad. No excuse to the OC and no excuse for Narduzzi to kick.

UCF... I mean we had no choice it was 56 seconds left in the game, there wasn’t a decision. Was 1st and goal from the 11

Miami... the absolute smart and right move. was 1st and goal for the 7. And we were down one in the fourth, of course you kick it.

BC... was 1st and goal from the 5, so the title is incorrect. And was a false start. So can’t blame the coaches. 100 percent on Matthews.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Especially with Wheeler as FB. Just have Wheeler push. It’s crazy.

The PSU game was the only bad call. The only bad call... and it was disastrously bad. No excuse to the OC and no excuse for Narduzzi to kick.

UCF... I mean we had no choice it was 56 seconds left in the game, there wasn’t a decision. Was 1st and goal from the 11

Miami... the absolute smart and right move. was 1st and goal for the 7. And we were down one in the fourth, of course you kick it.

BC... was 1st and goal from the 5, so the title is incorrect. And was a false start. So can’t blame the coaches. 100 percent on Matthews.
Bull - No need for hurry up - No need for a WR split out

Totally on the OC

Bull - No need for hurry up - No need for a WR split out

Totally on the OC

Absolutely, totally on the OC to create havoc on the defense quick snap and get the td. Hey everyone on the team but theWR was ready.

I agree, great clutch call by the OC there

Absolutely, totally on the OC to create havoc on the defense quick snap and get the td. Hey everyone on the team but theWR was ready.

I agree, great clutch call by the OC there
There is absolutely no need to create havoc for anybody.

It is near impossible not to score a TD there.

He foolishly created "havoc" for his own team. Can you really argue against that?

Reactions: Large Panther
Yes and no. They still went for the win, that is the main point.
They really had no choice, down 6 points with less than a minute to play. 3 points in that situation were useless. The point of the original post was not scoring a td with first and goal, this situation had nothing to do with that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT