ADVERTISEMENT

3/31 Podcast: Was Dixon Pushed Out?

smenges

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Nov 12, 2005
Chris/All,

I liked today's podcast but I disagree with the idea that Pitt needed to give Dixon a raise and/or extension for him to stay. Jamie's contract had 7+ years remaining so I believe that was irrelevant.

I think Jamie felt he had earned trust, support and empowerment from Pitt for his 17 years of actions and his body of success (and I believe Barnes knew he felt that way).

By publicly stating Jamie had to change his scheduling philosophy and the likelihood that he was also being pressured to make changes to assistants, etc., Barnes was not showing him the trust, support and empowerment he felt he deserved. I think Dixon felt he was essentially starting over at Pitt and therefore then considered other options.

If they would have instead just communicated that their job was to now provide him absolutely everything possible for recruiting and on-court success (i.e. bigger recruiting and staff budget), I believe he would have stayed and likely been open to private discussions about possible scheduling and staff changes.

Barnes effectively scolded publicly Pitt's incredibly successful coach and school representative, and also put him on double secret probation. I'd start looking too if it was me.

He easily would have stayed without a raise if he got trust, support and empowerment but Barnes wanted his own guy and thought he could upgrade when Dixon reacted the way he did to how he was treated IMO-

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News