ADVERTISEMENT

50 Yrs Ago the Condors become Extinct

I wonder how they would’ve fared had they never moved to Minnesota. Wasn’t alive at the time but I recall hearing the city gave them a lot of support that first season.

Perhaps the Pipers are playing in the NBA today? Ok, maybe not…

As kids, we used to love using the ABA ball, on the outdoor courts! Condor games were exciting, too. A typical Condor game: Brisker would drop 25-30 pts; then get ejected late in the game for fighting

Growing up in Farrell I remember when Hawkins played on the 24/7 courts at Farrell and he dominated. Never looked back.

i used to see the Hawk play @ Mellon Park, Ozanam, @Pitt & Duquesne in the 70's.
you'd wonder how great was he 10 years ago? And it wasn't just the Hawk; Kenny Durrett, Mike Barr, Mickey Davis, Lionel Billingy, Maurice Lucas, lots of great players!

I wonder how they would’ve fared had they never moved to Minnesota. Wasn’t alive at the time but I recall hearing the city gave them a lot of support that first season.

Perhaps the Pipers are playing in the NBA today? Ok, maybe not…
I actually think that if the Pipers/Condors would have kept winning (perhaps if they never left for Minnesota in the first place they would continued their success), while the Penguins mired in mediocrity for the first few decades, basketball would have won out and the Penguins would be playing somewhere else.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
As kids, we used to love using the ABA ball, on the outdoor courts! Condor games were exciting, too. A typical Condor game: Brisker would drop 25-30 pts; then get ejected late in the game for fighting
Yep had a red white and blue ball and net. The playground we played at had no nets so you had to bring your own and put it up and take it down.

I had an ABA ball too, probabl not "official" but red, white and blue. But I seriously don't remember the Pipers or Condors being on TV? At the time i was really into basketball, I definitely would of watched.

I had an ABA ball too, probabl not "official" but red, white and blue. But I seriously don't remember the Pipers or Condors being on TV? At the time i was really into basketball, I definitely would of watched.
I had that basketball as well. Vividly recall getting a Sports Illustrated that had Dr. J. On the cover in his Nets 32 uniform going up for a dunk with that ball…

Reactions: Pitt79
I actually think that if the Pipers/Condors would have kept winning (perhaps if they never left for Minnesota in the first place they would continued their success), while the Penguins mired in mediocrity for the first few decades, basketball would have won out and the Penguins would be playing somewhere else.
I don't know. As a kid growing up in Pittsburgh in the 1960's and early 70's, nobody really cared about basketball in general. Everybody played street hockey in my neighborhood. In fact, the fenced in basketball courts often were used more often for hockey than basketball.

As an aside, Condor series on EPIX is an excellent series. 2 seasons of it. William Hurt was in it before he died.

After a low-level CIA analyst returns from lunch to discover everyone in his office has been killed, he goes on the run trying to elude hit men and uncover the truth about who is behind the murders. Based on the film "Three Days of the Condor."

I don't know. As a kid growing up in Pittsburgh in the 1960's and early 70's, nobody really cared about basketball in general. Everybody played street hockey in my neighborhood. In fact, the fenced in basketball courts often were used more often for hockey than basketball.
That's interesting to me, in the area I grew up, nobody played, watched or thought about hockey of any kind at all ever, we all wished that Pittsburgh had an NBA team instead of the Penguins at least until the late 80s.

ADVERTISEMENT