before about Hugley needing
help. If Hinson can play, and
play well it would give
us real balance. OK Capel,
you have depth, more talent
with Dior, and hopefully
some added momentum.
Let's see what happens.

The depth is important, but making shots is more important. If we can get a couple consistent shooters out of these 6, it would help big John a lot. There are other options is some are struggling.

These 6 do not even
include Santos. He was
supposedly a shooter. I
give last yr. a pass since
he was a true Frosh. He'll
more than likely be a
3/wing.

The others are possible
shooters. Burton looked
great in the win over St.
John's. Sibande ended the
20-21 season on a high
note. Great?...No. Were
they average D 1? So far
here at Pitt?...IMO, Yes.
The additions are key for
this team. They seem to
be at least decent shooters.
McNeilly (JUCO) was 44%
on his threes. We have
great depth in the back
court. Well, the bodies are
there. Now, can they shoot?

Last edited:
Reactions: Gunga_Galunga
These 6 do not even
include Santos. He was
supposedly a shooter. I
give last yr. a pass since
he was a true Frosh. He'll
more than likely be a
3/wing.

The others are possible
shooters. Burton looked
great in the win over St.
John's. Sibande ended the
20-21 season on a high
note. Great?...No. Were
they average D 1? So far
here at Pitt?...IMO, Yes.
The additions are key for
this team. They seem to
be at least decent shooters.
McNeilly (JUCO) was 44%
on his threes. We have
great depth in the back
court. Well, the bodies are
there. Now, can they shoot?
I wouldn’t be opposed to the idea of a redshirt for Santos and try to turn him into a stretch 4 type if he’s really 6’7. I feel like I remember him rebounding pretty well in limited action last year. He looks like he’s added some bulk in the pictures the program has put out this spring.

Reactions: FireballZ
I think this team will play a 3-guard line-up almost exclusively. That is where the depth is and most likely the talent. It is a guards game and we might have the depth and potential talent to play that way next year. It could mean some up and down times as we will rely heavily on shots falling and finding who is on that game might take a little time...but, it will be interesting.

My guess of a starting line-up would be:

D. Johnson
N. Cummings
J. Burton
B. Hinson
J. Hugely

I would guess that Johnson and Cummings play together a lot, but also one would be on the floor at all times during meaningful minutes and share the PG duties. If Johnson is as advertised and fits in on the team, I would assume he is running the point close to 28-32 minutes a game with Cummings taking the other minutes and then playing with him.

I think Burton's game will complement theirs very well. His ability in the 15-18 foot range and FT shooting will consistently get him points. I think Sibande gets consistent time as first guard off the bench playing the 2/3. Elliott is a designated shooter...if he is on he gets more time if others are not. McNeilly gets time to bring him along and also could be a designated shooter if on and might get some leftover PG time.

With this depth I do not see much of a role for Santos this coming year.

I think Hinson and Jeffress basically man the '4' spot and that should be ok. Most teams have '4's that all believe they are wings. I appreciate Jeffress sticking this out and his effort on D and on the boards at least will be a contributing factor. Hinson is a wildcard, but has a track record of production in the SEC.

Obviously Hugely is the C for this team. Fede, the twins...hopefully one of them can give 10 minutes a game to play D and rebound. If the twins shock us and are ready this year...then I can see one playing some 4 and the other some 5...I would hope they are more of a long term investment...but we know in this day and age everyone is on a two-way, one-year contract...

This team is definitely interesting and really has me not knowing what to expect. However, that seems to be the nature of college basketball. Hoping for 18 wins...I think this is a team that will be tough at home as they will be able to score points in their friendly confines of the Pete.

I wouldn’t be opposed to the idea of a redshirt for Santos and try to turn him into a stretch 4 type if he’s really 6’7. I feel like I remember him rebounding pretty well in limited action last year. He looks like he’s added some bulk in the pictures the program has put out this spring.
A redshirt for Jeffress should not be out of the question either.

I think this team will play a 3-guard line-up almost exclusively. That is where the depth is and most likely the talent. It is a guards game and we might have the depth and potential talent to play that way next year. It could mean some up and down times as we will rely heavily on shots falling and finding who is on that game might take a little time...but, it will be interesting.

D. Johnson
N. Cummings
J. Burton
B. Hinson
J. Hugely

I would guess that Johnson and Cummings play together a lot, but also one would be on the floor at all times during meaningful minutes and share the PG duties. If Johnson is as advertised and fits in on the team, I would assume he is running the point close to 28-32 minutes a game with Cummings taking the other minutes and then playing with him.

I think Burton's game will complement theirs very well. His ability in the 15-18 foot range and FT shooting will consistently get him points. I think Sibande gets consistent time as first guard off the bench playing the 2/3. Elliott is a designated shooter...if he is on he gets more time if others are not. McNeilly gets time to bring him along and also could be a designated shooter if on and might get some leftover PG time.

I think Hinson and Jeffress basically man the '4' spot and that should be ok. Most teams have '4's that all believe they are wings. I appreciate Jeffress sticking this out and his effort on D and on the boards at least will be a contributing factor. Hinson is a wildcard, but has a track record of production in the SEC.

Obviously Hugely is the C for this team. Fede, the twins...hopefully one of them can give 10 minutes a game to play D and rebound. If the twins shock us and are ready this year...then I can see one playing some 4 and the other some 5...I would hope they are more of a long term investment...but we know in this day and age everyone is on a two-way, one-year contract...

This team is definitely interesting and really has me not knowing what to expect. However, that seems to be the nature of college basketball. Hoping for 18 wins...I think this is a team that will be tough at home as they will be able to score points in their friendly confines of the Pete.
Basically I agree. I find
your starting lineup is
very likely. To me, the big
question is Hinson. He
has the size and also the
experience. If he can't go
Capel will have to find
someone who can help on
the inside. Fede will more
than likely be Hugley's
backup. The twins?....I
have no idea. After that
Santos and Jeffress?....I
don't like either of those
options. Hugley plus 4
guard/wings? I don't like
that option either. 1 big and
4 guard/wings could work
against certain match ups.

So....Capel now has many
options in the backcourt.
Sorry for sounding like a
broken record, but the
inside is still is a question.

D. Johnson
N. Cummings
J. Burton
B. Hinson
J. Hugely

The twins are pretty big wildcards because they can shoot. It is certainly possible both could find bigger roles if they can consistently knock down shots to give John more space to work.

He’s gonna be the starting 4 man for Christ’s sake! How could anyone talk about redshirting him???
Maybe for the first third or half of the season until all these newcomers get comfortable but if he's still starting at the 4 by the end of the season that will mean we are no better than last year. He already has an extra year due to covid so he won't be redshirting unless he gets hurt.

D. Johnson
N. Cummings
J. Burton
B. Hinson
J. Hugely

Good to see you … thanks for your thoughts.

Before Johnson committed, I said I was hoping for 16 wins. I have no problem bumping that to 18 wins now.

Has Jeffress improved or is that just based on default that he’s starting? I’d hope one of the new guys is good enough to beat him out for the 4 spot.
I would imagine he’s improved at least some. Until we hear Hinson clears the medical hurdles or one of the twins is killing it in practice I’m assuming his defense will start at the 4 by default.

just a guess though

Last edited:
Good to see you … thanks for your thoughts.

Before Johnson committed, I said I was hoping for 16 wins. I have no problem bumping that to 18 wins now.
Given what you said about needing a tourney appearance to save his job, Burton, Cummings, Johnson, Nike all gone and who knows who else after this season…

does 18 wins and an NIT bid save his job?

I’d say an NIT bid and a Top 25 type recruiting class gets him another year. Anything less than that and a change needs to be made IMO.

Reactions: FireballZ
Given what you said about needing a tourney appearance to save his job, Burton, Cummings, Johnson, Nike all gone and who knows who else after this season…

does 18 wins and an NIT bid save his job?
I’d say that would definitely save his job. You can’t reasonably expect much more in the first year after last year’s disaster. that being said I think Pitt can surpass that if they can avoid disastrous key injury.

I’d say that would definitely save his job. You can’t reasonably expect much more in the first year after last year’s disaster. that being said I think Pitt can surpass that if they can avoid disastrous key injury.
Lol, wow… you can’t reasonably expect much more in year 5?

Johnson is the only irreplaceable talent

I’m sure people could make the argument for Hugley but you can adjust without a dominant inside guy. You can’t adjust for a guy who will make everyone better from the point getting hurt or not playing

Last edited:
Most questionable lineup position is the 4-spot.

Hopefully, Jeffress either finally matches his hype coming out of high school, or Hinson is fully healthy, or one of the twins proves able to play the spot at a high level.

Questions remain for now.

Lol, wow… you can’t reasonably expect much more in year 5?

Johnson is the only irreplaceable talent

I’m sure people could make the argument for Hugley but you can adjust without a dominant inside guy. You can’t adjust for a guy who will make everyone better from the point getting hurt or not playing

Every year is pretty much year one for every coach now. There's a reason interest in college basketball dying and that reason is college basketball.

Every year is pretty much year one for every coach now. There's a reason interest in college basketball dying and that reason is college basketball.
So if Bill Self goes 5-25 Kansas can reasonably expect to fire him?

I understand what you’re going for but it misses the point. At some point, there’s enough data points to figure out someone isnt up to snuff for the job.

So if Bill Self goes 5-25 Kansas can reasonably expect to fire him?

I understand what you’re going for but it misses the point. At some point, there’s enough data points to figure out someone isnt up to snuff for the job.

As much as Self cheats- hell yeah....

I wasn't meaning that (year one) as a positive or negative. More like, it's going to volatile each year and the best "AAU styled" coach will win more than others.

I think this could be the first year where Capel and staff adopted the right approach to the new norm. IMO, he was trying build a program when the NCAA was already all about just building a team for that year. Big mistake on their part.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT