ADVERTISEMENT

6 Pitt players in the upstart AAF league

PittSqueak

Scholarship
Dec 1, 2004
The Alliance of American Football league began today. It's minor league football that isn't trying to compete with the NFL, and they have a few different rules, notably no kickoffs and only 2-pt conversions after TD's. It's new and the offenses still haven't gelled, but it's football in the spring full of college players you've heard of.

If you want to support former Panther players, there are 6 of them!

San Diego Fleet
WR Dontez Ford
OL Brandon Hodges
DT Shakir Soto
P Ryan Winslow

San Antonio Commanders
OL Jaryd Jones-Smith

Orlando Apollos
TE Scott Orndoff

Reactions: anon_4dfwm2pijbr0a
The Alliance of American Football league began today. It's minor league football that isn't trying to compete with the NFL, and they have a few different rules, notably no kickoffs and only 2-pt conversions after TD's. It's new and the offenses still haven't gelled, but it's football in the spring full of college players you've heard of.

San Diego Fleet
WR Dontez Ford
OL Brandon Hodges
DT Shakir Soto
P Ryan Winslow

San Antonio Commanders
OL Jaryd Jones-Smith

Orlando Apollos
TE Scott Orndoff

Whats the deal with assigning players to teams based on their college. That sounds interesting but most of the teams seem to be in the south.

I'll tell you what, if you had an 9 team league geographically based on what college you went to, I would watch it and be a fan of the Pitt team

Hartford - New England, NY, NJ, PA, Del, MD

Raleigh - NC, SC, Kentucky

Orlando - FL, GA

Birmingham - AL, MI, Louisiana

Memphis - TN, AR, MO, KS,

San Antonio - TX

Salt Lake - OK, NE, UT, CO, etc

San Diego - Pac 12 besides UT, CO

Columbus - OH, MI, IN, IL, WI, MN

Thanks, was literally about to make a post asking if anyone knew if former Pitt players were on AAF rosters. This is great, I'd gladly still watch Pitt players at this level. And the AAF is generating some serious excitement

Reactions: paulbl99
The Networks and the NFL are behind the AAF, so it has a chance to work out. Vince McMahon’s XFL will be their rival next year.

San Diego Fleet
WR Dontez Ford
OL Brandon Hodges
DT Shakir Soto
P Ryan Winslow

San Antonio Commanders
OL Jaryd Jones-Smith

Orlando Apollos
TE Scott Orndoff
If nothing else those are 3 good places to call home.

The Networks and the NFL are behind the AAF, so it has a chance to work out. Vince McMahon’s XFL will be their rival next year.

I was reading about this some. One guys suggested that the XFL has the right cities, and the AAF has the right idea with rules. Best thing to do is to combine the leagues so that all the talent is in one. I think it's time they get this right so you can keep milking the fans for football even after the Super Bowl.

I’ve been following the San Diego Fleet got a while now, because I live in San Diego and there are 4 Pitt guys on the team. The offenses have looked bad across all teams, but that’s to be expected after only a month of training together.

I might go to a few games wearing Pitt gear, lol

I’ve been following the San Diego Fleet got a while now, because I live in San Diego and there are 4 Pitt guys on the team. The offenses have looked bad across all teams, but that’s to be expected after only a month of training together.

I might go to a few games wearing Pitt gear, lol

Ford in their preseason game had 11 catches for 114 yards and a TD.

Whats the deal with assigning players to teams based on their college. That sounds interesting but most of the teams seem to be in the south.

I'll tell you what, if you had an 9 team league geographically based on what college you went to, I would watch it and be a fan of the Pitt team

Orlando - FL, GA

San Antonio - TX

It was alpha order. The D's, F's,H's, O's, S's, & W's are always grouped together.

Last edited:

Orlando - FL, GA

San Antonio - TX

Way way back in the day the NBA had some sort of limited regional drafting....Cousey and Tommy Gun to Boston and Big O / Lucas to Cinncy were a couple under that scenario....

And of course Montreal in the NHL always had 1st pick of any French Canadian. They put that one to good use you can bet that....

'
How long do you give this league?
If this serves as a start of a minor league for football that's a good thing.
The Fan reported about a week ago that one of the QB's was picked up by an NFL team.

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

I think it could survive if they stick to the business plan and not try to compete with the NFL. I watched it and while they seemed rough so far, it wasn't stupid at all. And don't award Donald Trump a franchise and have him file a law suit against the NFL so he can play in the fall :)

I think they'll be around for awhile, the league is positioning itself as a football version of Triple A Baseball which was sort of needed and once sports betting gets approved in more states interest in the league will grow even more.

I can't see the XFL2.0 lasting beyond two seasons purely on Vince McMahon doing all the carny b.s. he did in XFL1.0 again.

Way way back in the day the NBA had some sort of limited regional drafting....Cousey and Tommy Gun to Boston and Big O / Lucas to Cinncy were a couple under that scenario....

And of course Montreal in the NHL always had 1st pick of any French Canadian. They put that one to good use you can bet that....
It was regional for a longtime. Eddie Gottlieb of the Warriors selected Wilt when he was in H.S. That brought him to Philly after Kansas & the Trotters.

Reactions: paulbl99
I think they'll be around for awhile, the league is positioning itself as a football version of Triple A Baseball which was sort of needed and once sports betting gets approved in more states interest in the league will grow even more.

I can't see the XFL2.0 lasting beyond two seasons purely on Vince McMahon doing all the carny b.s. he did in XFL1.0 again.
Actually, from the start, McMahon should coordinate with the AAF, he has 8 different cities, he needs to play straight up football with no wrestling crap and maybe they can have their champs play each other in some minor league Super Bowl? Both leagues will have 8 teams. Both 10 game schedules.

I think it's gonna last. The officiating was pretty good. Attendance seems good for minor league football. It's not trying to knock off the NFL, but work with it.

I thought the tv coverage was good also. They need to get better at announcing penalties with tv was really my only gripe in the 2 games I watched.

I wish they would drop some of the FUN KILLING annoying, nit picky rules, I'd go CFL motion rules and eliminate all formation penalties other than having 5 O-lineman, Nothing annoys me more than a great, entertaining play, like Memphis' reverse flea flicker TD pass out of the wildcat is nullified because "the tackle wasn't covered". something, NOBODY, ABSOLUTELY NOBODY would notice or care about if it wasn't called.
Seriously fun killing! And if you eliminated those types of penalties, that's like 8-10 stoppages every game that we aren't depressed by.

The lack of kickoffs, at first I didn't notice and felt like well, at least the Steelers won't block someone in the back and start at the 5. But then I thought, we'd never see a big return again either, so I'm torn on that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT