ADVERTISEMENT

#9 Illinois @ #1 Purdue on a Friday night

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Why is everything so hard for the ACC? The Big Ten plays every day except Mondays. The ACC only plays Mon, Tue, Wed, and Sat. This means ACC fans don't get to see enough of other teams play because their team is usually playing in a crowded window. I get that coaches dont like playing on Sundays, Thursdays, and Fridays because you have some quick turnarounds but isnt this about TV? Next year, with 17 teams including 3 outside of the Eastern time zone, there is no reason this shouldn't be the weekly lineup

Monday
7PM ESPN

Tuesday
6:30 ACCN
8:30 ACCN

Wednesday
7:00 ESPN2
8:30 ACCN

Thursday
6:00 ACCN
8:00 ACCN
10:00 ACCN (Cal or Stanford home game)

----‐---------------

Friday
7:00 - ACCN (teams who played Monday or Tuesday)

Saturday
noon - CW
2:00 - ESPN
4:00 - ESPN2
6:00 - ACCN
8:00 - ACCN
10:00 - ACCN (Cal, Stan, or SMU home game)

Sunday (teams who played Wednesday or Thursday)
Bring back ACC Sunday Night Hoops
Games at 5 and 7

There were lots of ACC games on last night (Thursday).

There were lots of ACC games on last night (Thursday).

Women's maybe. Here's a women's schedule for you:

Monday
6 ACCN
8 ACCN

Wednesday

Friday
9:00 ACCN

Saturday
Noon ACCN
2:00 ACCN
4:00 ACCN

Sunday
Noon ACCN

Women's maybe. Here's a women's schedule for you:

Monday
6 ACCN
8 ACCN

Wednesday

Friday
9:00 ACCN

Saturday
Noon ACCN

Sunday
Noon ACCN
Of course it was women. Your listing seems to be a bit off since games were televised last night and are scheduled for ACCN next Thursday.

The point is that it seems reasonable for a conference to highlight different sports on different nights.

Of course it was women. Your listing seems to be a bit off since games were televised last night and are scheduled for ACCN next Thursday.

The point is that it seems reasonable for a conference to highlight different sports on different nights.

I dont think you are understanding what I am saying. ACC Men's Basketball should be playing 6 days per week like the Big Ten and preferably everyday. They stack too many games on top of each other. Thursday is a great TV night and there arent many other games on. They shouldn't reserve it for women's games.

I dont think you are understanding what I am saying. ACC Men's Basketball should be playing 6 days per week like the Big Ten and preferably everyday. They stack too many games on top of each other. Thursday is a great TV night and there arent many other games on. They shouldn't reserve it for women's games.
I don't think you are understanding what I am saying. The ACC should limit men's bb to 3/4 days per week and allow other days to be focused only on women's bb.

I don't think you are understanding what I am saying. The ACC should limit men's bb to 3/4 days per week and allow other days to be focused only on women's bb.
They do limit MBB to 4 days as I have said numerous times. And I'm saying they need to do what the B10 does and play 6-7 days per week. This would actually bring eyeballs to women's games as lets say a NC State vs Clemson men's game on ACCN can provide lead-in to a Pitt vs VT women's game. I avoid ACCN on Thursday nights like its the plague because I know its wall to wall women's hoops. But if I'm watching a men's game and I see a promo for the Pitt women's game coming up next, I'd probably leave it on. Devoting Thursdays and Sundays EXCLUSIVELY to women is the worst thing they can do. People arent seeking out those games. What the Big Ten is doing isnt some crazy idea. It makes perfect sense. The ACC shouldn't stack all its men's games on top of each other.

Feel like it’s a smart call for the ACC to try and carve out Tuesday as the primary ACC night on ESPN. Last week you had Pitt/UNC and Syracuse/Duke. Next week you have Missouri/Kentucky, and then Pitt/Duke.

Wednesdays and Fridays are frequently big NBA nights for ESPN, and it looks like Thursday is frequently a hockey game on the flagship. It’s smart to not stack too many primary ACC games on a night when ESPN is going to commit the flagship to the NBA and relegate your good matchup to ESPN2 or the ACCN anyway. But even then, next Wednesday you’ll have UNC/NC State leading into Nuggets/Jazz.

And ESPN hasn’t really devoted many resources to Monday night for basketball since they let the Big East go and picked up MNF and built it off with the simulcasts and the Manning stuff. Again, same logic - you’re going to get relegated until mid/late January anyway because of football.

When the NFL postseason condenses down enough that ESPN doesn’t have MNF anymore, you see Wake/UNC on 1/22 on ESPN, the first Monday that ESPN doesn’t have the NFL, and then Duke/VT on ESPN on 1/29

They do limit MBB to 4 days as I have said numerous times. And I'm saying they need to do what the B10 does and play 6-7 days per week. This would actually bring eyeballs to women's games as lets say a NC State vs Clemson men's game on ACCN can provide lead-in to a Pitt vs VT women's game. I avoid ACCN on Thursday nights like its the plague because I know its wall to wall women's hoops. But if I'm watching a men's game and I see a promo for the Pitt women's game coming up next, I'd probably leave it on. Devoting Thursdays and Sundays EXCLUSIVELY to women is the worst thing they can do. People arent seeking out those games. What the Big Ten is doing isnt some crazy idea. It makes perfect sense. The ACC shouldn't stack all its men's games on top of each other.
I don't care that people aren't seeking women's games out. I realize you're all (and only) about money. College sports is not for you if that is your view. It is not all about the money. Your sexist view belongs in the 50's.

Reactions: joeydavid
I do think SMF is on to something. I don’t think ACC Men’s games on Fridays necessarily have to be at the expense of women's games or other sports. What happened to the ACC Sunday Night game on The U? That used to be an awesome way to finish the sports weekend.

So you are advocating for the ACC to play more games on the least watched television night of the week on Friday to increase exposure and you want them to shove the women back into the kitchen on Thursday nights...got it, but kind of off the mark for such a caring progressive chap as yourself...

So you are advocating for the ACC to play more games on the least watched television night of the week on Friday to increase exposure and you want them to shove the women back into the kitchen on Thursday nights...got it, but kind of off the mark for such a caring progressive chap as yourself...

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Next year the ACC will play 16 league games per week. Of course, at least 3 of those 16 games should be on Thursday, Friday, and Sunday. Yes, Friday night sucks for TV but the average college basketball fan's ass is on the couch on Friday night, not at the club. The Big Ten isnt doing something completely wacky here. Are they really that stupid? Or is it maybe good business to play every day instead of 3 (plus a few Big Monday games when football ends)?

The WORST thing they can do for women's basketball is throw it on night all by themselves because no one will watch. Play them at 9PM after the men's games on Thursday and Friday. Maybe a 5PM Friday before the men. This is super easy, guys. The ACC is old school thinking and its why its basketball league sucks and the football league is done

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Next year the ACC will play 16 league games per week. Of course, at least 3 of those 16 games should be on Thursday, Friday, and Sunday. Yes, Friday night sucks for TV but the average college basketball fan's ass is on the couch on Friday night, not at the club. The Big Ten isnt doing something completely wacky here. Are they really that stupid? Or is it maybe good business to play every day instead of 3 (plus a few Big Monday games when football ends)?

The WORST thing they can do for women's basketball is throw it on night all by themselves because no one will watch. Play them at 9PM after the men's games on Thursday and Friday. Maybe a 5PM Friday before the men. This is super easy, guys. The ACC is old school thinking and its why its basketball league sucks and the football league is done
Again, the ACC’s partner in ESPN doesn’t want to have ACC games on Friday because Friday night is a big NBA night for them. The Big Ten and Fox don’t have those obligations.

Again, the ACC’s partner in ESPN doesn’t want to have ACC games on Friday because Friday night is a big NBA night for them. The Big Ten and Fox don’t have those obligations.

That aint why. ESPN and the NBA arent fearful that Wake/GT is going to eat into NBA ratings. ACC coaches only want to play on Saturdays and then Tue/Wed for rest/practice/preparation reasons and neither the ACC nor ESPN care enough to do anything about it. And if ESPN forbids Friday play, what about Sunday and Thursday?

That aint why. ESPN and the NBA arent fearful that Wake/GT is going to eat into NBA ratings. ACC coaches only want to play on Saturdays and then Tue/Wed for rest/practice/preparation reasons and neither the ACC nor ESPN care enough to do anything about it. And if ESPN forbids Friday play, what about Sunday and Thursday?
It is why. When they’re coming up with the schedule, both ESPN and the ACC want the flexibility to put ACC men’s basketball games on ESPN, all the way down to ACCNX. What sense does it make to set a hard ceiling on the exposure by scheduling games on nights when ESPN already has defined obligations on the flagship?

If ESPN says to the ACC, “we paid a lot of money for our contracts with the NHL and NBA to put a showcase NHL game on Thursday night and two showcase NBA games on Friday night, and if you schedule games on those nights, we’ll have to put them on ACCN at best even if it’s a good game,” why would they schedule games on those nights? Versus maximizing exposure by having Tuesday and Wednesday nights, and then Monday nights, too, when the NFL ends?

My 2 take aways from this game: Ethan Morton is still terrible; and without Edey, Purdue is a very average hoops team….any game in which he gets in foul trouble is a game Purdue can very easily lose….expecting another early ncaa exit by this over rated Big Pretend outfit.

Last edited:
Reactions: mas1021
If ESPN says to the ACC, “we paid a lot of money for our contracts with the NHL and NBA to put a showcase NHL game on Thursday night and two showcase NBA games on Friday night, and if you schedule games on those nights, we’ll have to put them on ACCN at best even if it’s a good game,” why would they schedule games on those nights? Versus maximizing exposure by having Tuesday and Wednesday nights, and then Monday nights, too, when the NFL ends?

Of course the Friday game would be on ACCN. Maybe the Thursday games too. I'm not asking for these games to be on ESPN.

Here's the schedule for the next weeks:

Tuesday
7ACCN
9 ACCN
9 ESPN

Wednesday
7 ACCN
7 ESPN2
8 ESPN
9 ACCN

Saturday
noon ESPN
noon CW
2 ESPN2
2:15 CW
3 ACCN
5 ACCN
7 ACCN

Part of your argument is that ESPN wants to maximize ACC games on ESPN and not relegate them to ACCN on Thursday or Friday (or Sunday). Ok, cool. Easy. I'll redo this week:

Tuesday
7 ACCN
9 ESPN
9 ACCN women's game (great lead in from men's game)

Wednesday
7 ESPN2
7 ACCN
8 ESPN
9 ACCN women's game

Thursday
7 ACCN
9 ACCN women's game

Friday
7 ACCN
9 ACCN women's game

See what I did there? I took 2 9PM ACCN games from Tuesday and Wednesday and moved them to 7 on Thursday and Friday. Better for TV, better for attendance and great lead-in for the women's games. I'd also make sure that those 9PM women's games featured one of the colleges from the 7PM game. Example

7PM Pitt men @ Wake
9PM Pitt women @ ND

That is how you get people to the women's game.

Ohio State vs Michigan. Noon on a Monday. MLK day but still. The Big Ten uses every possible TV window. ACC? Shove everything on Saturdays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays along with a couple Big Monday games.

Ohio State vs Michigan. Noon on a Monday. MLK day but still. The Big Ten uses every possible TV window. ACC? Shove everything on Saturdays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays along with a couple Big Monday games.

That game is not on a Monday at noon because the Big Ten came up with some great scheduling strategy. They are playing at noon on a Monday because that's when Fox told them to play.

You really don't understand that, do you?

Do you think that if ESPN asked the ACC to play a game tomorrow afternoon that they would have said no?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT