ADVERTISEMENT

A couple of comments from Zeise on realignment

It's literally the best example of the competition they will be facing, as it eliminates the G5 and FCS games from the equation. In fact, the schedules will actually get a little tougher because no one is looking to add programs like Rutgers and Washington State to these expanded conferences. I think I make plenty of sense. As for you understanding... well.
The current records are completely irrelevant to the future records because, yes, the competition will be better. But the teams outside the Big 2 may or may not have tougher schedules (likely easier since they won't play the Big 2 but maintain their OOC as is). Those teams will get ranked ahead of Big 2 teams because that is what rankers do. They will get access to the playoffs because the networks will demand a true national champion.

This is my thought as well, I think many underestimate the egos and lust to appear dominant that drive so many big money College football boosters. They are Type A on steroids. After decades of steering their programs to double figure wins and permanence in the Top 10, the slippage to mortal status is going to be a tough adjustment. And ‘regular’ fans are going to be underwhelmed by the decent to parity and the ordinary matchups in the CFP. There’s always a lot more drama with two 12-0 teams than they will be with 9-3 playing 8-4.

Pitt fans especially can’t come to grips with this, because our own boosters were long since neutered by the Pitt admin.
That's exactly right. What will be even worse if teams with records like that get a rematch in the playoffs. Who will care (despite those here who believe just being in a playoff spurs interest)?

Reactions: pittdan77
The current records are completely irrelevant to the future records because, yes, the competition will be better. But the teams outside the Big 2 may or may not have tougher schedules (likely easier since they won't play the Big 2 but maintain their OOC as is). Those teams will get ranked ahead of Big 2 teams because that is what rankers do. They will get access to the playoffs because the networks will demand a true national champion.

Nah, ESPN and FOX will be running the show. So, just let 4-loss Texas was ranked ahead of 1-loss UCF, they'll take SOS into account and see to it that all their teams are spoken for. More than likely, however, is that they're in an entirely separate league altogether, which is the assumption I've been working off.

Also, I feel like you're moving goalposts, because this entire discussion hinged off whether or not 4-loss teams would be in the playoff in this super league.

Nah, ESPN and FOX will be running the show. So, just let 4-loss Texas was ranked ahead of 1-loss UCF, they'll take SOS into account and see to it that all their teams are spoken for. More than likely, however, is that they're in an entirely separate league altogether, which is the assumption I've been working off.

Also, I feel like you're moving goalposts, because this entire discussion hinged off whether or not 4-loss teams would be in the playoff in this super league.
I haven't moved any goalposts because I continue to disagree that the Big 2 would be the sole participants in the playoff. And, as I've already said, the networks will make that call. They will want a true national championship and the Big 2 won't have exclusive rights. Then the 4-loss teams will fall out.

I haven't moved any goalposts because I continue to disagree that the Big 2 would be the sole participants in the playoff. And, as I've already said, the networks will make that call. They will want a true national championship and the Big 2 won't have exclusive rights. Then the 4-loss teams will fall out.
You know something? If he is right and the powers that be would only want to decide the NC from the SEC and B1G, it's pretty likely that they would each have a conference championship game and the winners would just play each other ala the old BCS.

Fans don't adjust. They leave.
I understand the sentiment -
But where would pitt fans actually go?
Fans root for the laundry - other than the bandwagon Walmart “fans”- who just pick a team who wins .

I’ll root for pitt regardless
I’m under no illusion we have a path to a national championship
But I’ll cheer and attend regardless

You know something? If he is right and the powers that be would only want to decide the NC from the SEC and B1G, it's pretty likely that they would each have a conference championship game and the winners would just play each other ala the old BCS.

Lol, yeah. They would hate all the extra money that came with an expanded playoff, and they definitely didn't try to vote for an 8-team playoff last year so they could get more of their own teams in. Maybe they'll just flip a coin to decide the winner. Yes, that is what they will do!

😂

Lol, yeah. They would hate all the extra money that came with an expanded playoff, and they definitely didn't try to vote for an 8-team playoff last year so they could get more of their own teams in. Maybe they'll just flip a coin to decide the winner. Yes, that is what they will do!

😂
Proposal was a 12 team playoff that no 8 win team would ever sniff but you're new to college football so I'll give you a pass.

I understand the sentiment -
But where would pitt fans actually go?
Fans root for the laundry - other than the bandwagon Walmart “fans”- who just pick a team who wins .

I’ll root for pitt regardless
I’m under no illusion we have a path to a national championship
But I’ll cheer and attend regardless
They won't attend, donate, or watch TV games as much. They'll go to the lake, golfing, or something else while maintaining a peripheral interest in their school.

Reactions: bobfree
Proposal was a 12 team playoff that no 8 win team would ever sniff but you're new to college football so I'll give you a pass.

Again, 8 wins under the current format is not the same as 8 wins in a super league consisting of two conferences that only play each other. But if you want to keep embarrassing yourself, be my guest.

They won't attend, donate, or watch TV games as much. They'll go to the lake, golfing, or something else while maintaining a peripheral interest in their school.
So nothing changes
The 30k of us who do care will continue to
The rest of you have no skin in the game

I can tell you that the conference alignment and playoff system have destroyed bowl season and football season for me. Each year comes with new bs I just don't care about. The product has been burdened with too much non football drama. When do people get to enjoy football? Just football? It's now just constant conference and revenue crap. I enjoyed watching college football, bowl season and moving on with my life until the following August.

Now I've been told the bowls are meaningless. Only the semifinals and championship matter...but that who gets to play in those games and be in those conferences is a 365 day soap opera. The musical chairs of conference membership and greed-whoring go on and on. When do people just get to enjoy football and forget about all this BS? And the soap opera continues for years. Just more shit every day. I guess I'm saying I have a saturation point for drama. I'm guessing many are supersaturated.

Reactions: BPKY
Every year almost all bowls have been meaningless. The fact that some clever marketing people were able to convince some people otherwise doesn't mean that they were, it means that clever marketing people know how to do their jobs.
Some people are so close to finally putting this all together - but the truth scares them so they retreat into “tradition “ and “pageantry “

Reactions: WVUinColumbus
Lol , the Pitt fans left will be like the remaining bucco fans. If this clear separation happens, they’ll be quashed, ridiculed and beaten down locally. 2nd tier status in writing a death knell.

Lol , the Pitt fans left will be like the remaining bucco fans. If this clear separation happens, they’ll be quashed, ridiculed and beaten down locally. 2nd tier status in writing a death knell.
Exactly. It will turn onto baseball where folks attend games just "for the experience". I watch a cumulative hour of Stillers each year. And maybe a full half or game if they are in the playoffs. Yet I'll always root for the Stillers. I never watch other team games any longer. I'll probably turn that way for college too if things continue to devolve.

Reactions: Dan1911
Exactly. It will turn onto baseball where folks attend games just "for the experience".
Only, Pitt football absent any meaning for the games offers very little unique football game ‘experience’ that can’t be obtained at a Steelers game that actually means something, in the same place. Or by driving a couple hours east, west or south for a ‘college’ experience. PNC Park offers some cool things for which it doesn’t matter that the tenant is never going to compete for a championship. Heinz Field offers…trough urinals.

Only, Pitt football absent any meaning for the games offers very little unique football game ‘experience’ that can’t be obtained at a Steelers game that actually means something, in the same place. Or by driving a couple hours east, west or south for a ‘college’ experience. PNC Park offers some cool things for which it doesn’t matter that the tenant is never going to compete for a championship. Heinz Field offers…trough urinals.
Precisely my point. Thanks for explaining it better. 👍

I think the ACC will be okay. They are not going to make the money the Big 10, and SEC will be making, but at least the Grant of rights they signed till 2036, will keep them together.

Reactions: Dan1911
History says they probably will with OK being the ceiling. They weren’t left out of the old Bowl Alliance or the BCS autobid or the P5. But it’s perilous again. I can see why folks have one foot out the door with this and NIL and all for a jumbled unbalanced mess that leads to nothing.

You missed the point of my posts then. As usual.
Your point was you think college football is a macro entity
It’s not
It’s a collection of micro fanbases
Those fanbases won’t walk

but as noted - those who care will care and will continue to attend and cheer
Those who don’t - like plenty on those forum - won’t - but will still watch on tv and whine

you’re thinking you’re being smart by saying vague doom and gloom

Reactions: cashisking884
Your point was you think college football is a macro entity
It’s not
It’s a collection of micro fanbases
Those fanbases won’t walk

but as noted - those who care will care and will continue to attend and cheer
Those who don’t - like plenty on those forum - won’t - but will still watch on tv and whine

you’re thinking you’re being smart by saying vague doom and gloom
You have no idea what I think. As usual, you're wrong about this - both about the micro/macro point and about fanbases walking as I described the term.

If you had even half a brain and thought about what you said, you would realize that you are wrong.
Nope
Like I said -
See the Pitt fanbase for 30 years -
No actual chance at a national title -
The 30-35k diehards who attend and financially support will continue to do so - regardless of the grander college football landscapes

The experts with no skin in the game, like plenty on this forum - will watch on tv, whine , and complain online how things were better “back in the day “ when they were ignorant

No. The discussion began with Zeise saying he doesn't see the ACC going anywhere. You jumped the rails and started talking about Wisconsin missing the playoffs despite having 10 win seasons and moved the goalpost a few times to save the argument. I might have had years of repetitive blows to my brain but I can still use the back button.
Quite the pissing contest in this thread with many piling on the Werewolf. As a neutral observer reading this thread late, I have to agree with the Wolf. He’s been pretty consistent in his argument about if it comes down to a couple super conferences with 40-some teams and an expanded playoff field, 3 or 4 loss teams will get into the playoff.

Don’t understand what you are all jumping on him about that, sure seems like a plausible scenario to me.

Reactions: WVUinColumbus
Quite the pissing contest in this thread with many piling on the Werewolf. As a neutral observer reading this thread late, I have to agree with the Wolf. He’s been pretty consistent in his argument about if it comes down to a couple super conferences with 40-some teams and an expanded playoff field, 3 or 4 loss teams will get into the playoff.

Don’t understand what you are all jumping on him about that, sure seems like a plausible scenario to me.
He’s correct.

Nope
Like I said -
The 30-35k diehards who attend and financially support will continue to do so - regardless of the grander college football landscapes

The experts with no skin in the game, like plenty on this forum - will watch on tv, whine , and complain online how things were better “back in the day “ when they were ignorant
Completely irrelevant to my bigger point. No surprise there, though.

That's only true if the playoff is limited to the Big 2. My disagreement with him is that limitation won't occur and other non Big 2 teams will get in over a 4-loss Big 2.

Reactions: pittdan77
Completely irrelevant to my bigger point. No surprise there, though.
You have no “bigger point “
Other than you mistakenly believe the landscape of college football as an enterprise will somehow scare off fans of specific programs
You keep saying it - then denying it - only to repeat it -
And it continues to be wrong

Nope
Like I said -

Pitt may not have fielded teams competitive enough to win a national title, but that is far different than being not being part of a system where a national title pursuit is theoretical possible. And the possibility was evidenced by the fact that even WVU had a shot at it when they were in the Big East, if not for 13-9. Heck, Pitt wasn't that far from a playoff bid this past season. If not for WMU, they might have gotten in, or at least been very much more in the discussion.

If Pitt isn't part of the perceived upper echelon, I think many diehards will fade away, because being in that upper eschelon, whether teams on the field were good or bad, is what has been historically expected of Pitt. Pittsburgh does not easily embrace teams of minor league status, which is what a conference of left overs may become perceived as.

Pitt may not have fielded teams competitive enough to win a national title, but that is far different than being not being part of a system where a national title pursuit is theoretical possible. And the possibility was evidenced by the fact that even WVU had a shot at it when they were in the Big East, if not for 13-9. Heck, Pitt wasn't that far from a playoff bid this past season. If not for WMU, they might have gotten in.

If Pitt isn't part of the perceived upper echelon, I think many diehards will fade away, because being in that upper eschelon, whether teams on the field were good or bad, is what has been historically expected of Pitt. Pittsburgh does not easily embrace teams of minor league status, which is what a conference of left overs may become perceived as.
How would that be any different than I’ll point out 30 years ?
Buddy the diehards who buy season tickets and donate aren’t going away .
They haven’t gone away yet with no actual or realistic path .

You have no “bigger point “
Other than you mistakenly believe the landscape of college football as an enterprise will somehow scare off fans of specific programs
You keep saying it - then denying it - only to repeat it -
And it continues to be wrong
I deny saying that because I never said it. Find that in any of my posts and I will admit that I'm wrong.

I deny saying that because I never said it. Find that in any of my posts and I will admit that I'm wrong.
So “fans will walk”is in reference to what ?
Perhaps rather than talking yourself into pretzels-
Spend a bit more time learning how to actuall make a distinct point clearly .

or just stfu
Either way

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT