ADVERTISEMENT

A couple of future questions for anyone who may know some answers

ChiefJusticeMarshall

Freshman
Gold Member
Jun 14, 2020
1) What type of player is Papa Kante? He is thicker, bigger than our current bigs? Does he have any offensive presence down low? Is someone who will be on the roster next year?
2) Marlon Barnes? Is he someone that will be able to contribute? What are his strengths? Where would he fit in?
So adding on to this, I remember years ago, we heard about the absolute battles between Brandin and some Redshirt guard sitting out named Carl Krauser. So has anyone heard anything about these guys from workouts or practices?

Just curious. It is almost tighter within the Capel program than North Korea, where we had alot more information back in the 2000's.

Anyone?

1) What type of player is Papa Kante? He is thicker, bigger than our current bigs? Does he have any offensive presence down low? Is someone who will be on the roster next year?
2) Marlon Barnes? Is he someone that will be able to contribute? What are his strengths? Where would he fit in?
So adding on to this, I remember years ago, we heard about the absolute battles between Brandin and some Redshirt guard sitting out named Carl Krauser. So has anyone heard anything about these guys from workouts or practices?

Just curious. It is almost tighter within the Capel program than North Korea, where we had alot more information back in the 2000's.

Anyone?

1) Kante- 6'10 235lb pf / center with a 7'5 wingspan. Very physical, relentless motor with tenacity. Scores most of his points close to the basket but has some but limited ability to shoot from both the midrange and from 3 and knock it down. Gets after it on the glass, is Elite on the hedge, and is a big time defensive presence. Very close to the Pitt coaches which is why he chose Pitt over many other power programs. Very good teammate, well respected, and is ready to contribute. He's a workhorse that just outworks people on the floor. You ask for 100%, he will give you 150%.

2) Barnes- Athletic, pretty darn good defensive player, really raw offensive player. His specialty is catch and shoot 3's. He's a lot close to a 3 / 4 tweener as an undersized player than a 2 / 3 tweener. Has similarities to Jeffress, but has the potential to make 3's at a far better level than Jeffress. Very limited with ball control and beating players off the bounce. I have nothing on Barnes as practice reports.

1) Kante- 6'10 235lb pf / center with a 7'5 wingspan. Very physical, relentless motor with tenacity. Scores most of his points close to the basket but has some but limited ability to shoot from both the midrange and from 3 and knock it down. Gets after it on the glass, is Elite on the hedge, and is a big time defensive presence. Very close to the Pitt coaches which is why he chose Pitt over many other power programs. Very good teammate, well respected, and is ready to contribute. He's a workhorse that just outworks people on the floor. You ask for 100%, he will give you 150%.

2) Barnes- Athletic, pretty darn good defensive player, really raw offensive player. His specialty is catch and shoot 3's. He's a lot close to a 3 / 4 tweener as an undersized player than a 2 / 3 tweener. Has similarities to Jeffress, but has the potential to make 3's at a far better level than Jeffress. Very limited with ball control and beating players off the bounce. I have nothing on Barnes as practice reports.
Thx Vader

Anyone?

Barnes is going to transfer out. He cant play at this level. Maybe when he's a junior or senior, he can transfer back to a P5

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ

If this is accurate Kante is exactly what we need. We need a big kid who can get position, rebound and dunk the bitch finish on the rebound or entry pass. I don't want another 6'10" plus kid enamored with the three. Not that I don't mind anyone who can make them and I love the Spaniards all around game. But we need that bully down low. We need an Oscar. T.

I’m confused as to how if Barnes is such a good catch and shoot 3 player he isn’t available to play right now. That’s literally exactly what they need. Someone who can catch and shoot 3’s, open more space and play over Jeffress and Austin.

I’m confused as to how if Barnes is such a good catch and shoot 3 player he isn’t available to play right now. That’s literally exactly what they need. Someone who can catch and shoot 3’s, open more space and play over Jeffress and Austin.
Well I am wondering if he is a Nate Santos or a Gerard Drumgoole? Because I am suspecting he is somewhere in that range and afraid it might be the latter.

I think a reasonable projection for Kante is “Fede’s limited offense and strong rim protection but a significantly better rebounder.” Fede has exceeded expectations, but the rebounding is what it is at this point, and that’s been Kante’s calling card. I still think Kante’s probably mostly a rim running, lob threat, pick and roll sort of big versus a back to basket post move sort of offensive threat.

I don’t have a feeling on Barnes. My thought with him coming in was a longer, but less athletic version of Sibande’s skillset. An undersized 3 and D wing, but an oversized 3 and D guard. But him not really being part of the picture this year is a little troubling, especially for a team that’s so desperate for shooting. Maybe he just was so physically undeveloped that his redshirt isn’t because of his skillset…but this is a team with a scrawny Jaland Lowe playing 15-20 minutes a night.

You can't expect Barnes to really help against any type of press or trap defense on offense because of his ball skills / passing. Brush got crushed last year against quality teams with attacking defenses with pressure as the guards were too weak and Barnes does not have a good enough handle to help and the guards constantly turned the ball over. In the half court defense, Brush and Barnes were extremely tough and made life difficult on opponents, including high level teams and players.

Its TBD how good of a shooter he would have been this year to help, but the staff probably felt from the practice reports he wasn't making them at a high enough rate to offset his other offensive weaknesses and limitations.

I think Barnes has the potential to be a good college player but he could also easily bust. There is enough to him that he could be an Audiese Toney type in time as a wing and undersized 4. He plays hard on defense and is quite athletic to make good defensive plays and force turnovers. He's respectable on the glass. But on offense, he often would rather pass to teammates except in catch and shoot 3s and a little midrange action. He lacks killer instinct on offense and confidence. And lacking confidence can be a killer, see Nate Santos his first 2 years at Pitt.

On defense, I think he could of helped if we were to use a press / trap in end of game situations to force some turnovers to try and come back. But with the way we lost games this year by the scoring margins, it still wouldn't have helped.

You can't expect Barnes to really help against any type of press or trap defense on offense because of his ball skills / passing. Brush got crushed last year against quality teams with attacking defenses with pressure as the guards were too weak and Barnes does not have a good enough handle to help and the guards constantly turned the ball over. In the half court defense, Brush and Barnes were extremely tough and made life difficult on opponents, including high level teams and players.

Its TBD how good of a shooter he would have been this year to help, but the staff probably felt from the practice reports he wasn't making them at a high enough rate to offset his other offensive weaknesses and limitations.

I think Barnes has the potential to be a good college player but he could also easily bust. There is enough to him that he could be an Audiese Toney type in time as a wing and undersized 4. He plays hard on defense and is quite athletic to make good defensive plays and force turnovers. He's respectable on the glass. But on offense, he often would rather pass to teammates except in catch and shoot 3s and a little midrange action. He lacks killer instinct on offense and confidence. And lacking confidence can be a killer, see Nate Santos his first 2 years at Pitt.

On defense, I think he could of helped if we were to use a press / trap in end of game situations to force some turnovers to try and come back. But with the way we lost games this year by the scoring margins, it still wouldn't have helped.

I think he transfers and this was a way of saving his eligibility so he has 4 years at Cleveland State. Even if he doesn't want to transfer, can you afford to bring him back instead of getting a plug and play MM transfer?

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ

On defense, I think he could have helped if we were to use a press / trap in end of game situations to force some turnovers to try and come back. But with the way we lost games this year by the scoring margins, it still wouldn't have helped.
I don’t expect him to. I expect him to replace our terrible black hole 3’s who can’t score and bring limited defense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT