ADVERTISEMENT

A couple of things about sports...

YourPittDanceTeam

Sophomore
Dec 8, 2010
-About the Steelers..This is really his REAL test as head coach of the Steelers. He will no longer have his future HOF QB ben roethlisberger running his offense. Yes, roethlisberger sucked the last couple of years, but before that he was one of the best QB's in the NFL for quite some time. The Steelers offense will struggle this year, regardless if who the QB is.Matt Canada's offense is a "gimmick offense". At Pitt, it was new and something different for most defense's to play against. Now that it's been around for a couple of years, DC's have adjusted and now can prepare to face it.
Speaking of Canada, his time in Pittsburgh will be short. His offense will struggle in the NFL.
-About the Pitt football team...As long as Kedon Slovis is ok, the offense will be very good. I'm not expecting another season like last year, but finishing with at least 9 wins would make me happy.
About Pat Narduzzi,,,I've said it before and I'll say it again, Pat Narduzzi is the PERFECT coach for the Pitt football team.
A solid individual, who seems to be able to earn the trust of his recruits and their families. I'll take 8, 9 wins with him as the schools head coach over winning 10. 11 games with a douche like Saban.
-About MLB managers...Why is it that ALL of them look miserable all the time? They work 8-9 months a year and get paid at least a million a year, why not smile?
About soccer...What a horrible sport. It is like watching a musical play for 90 minutes. The constant diving by the goalies on any ball kicked towards the net is ridiculous. The ballet that is performed by the players on the "pitch" when they do their fake falls is makes me LOL. I love it when they do catch the ball and then lie on the ground hugging it like they are about to make live to it. Also, the "offside" rule needs to go.
-About jordan addison...He made a HUGE mistake. The numbers he will put up at USC this year pale in comparison to what he did at Pitt last year and what he would have done this year if he had stayed. The best QB in the USC program, is now at Pitt. addison's decision says a lot more about him as a person then it does about the Pitt program.
That's all. Enjoy!!!

Last edited:
-About the Steelers..This is really his REAL test as head coach of the Steelers. He will no longer have his future HOF QB ben roethlisberger running his offense. Yes, roethlisberger sucked the last couple of years, but before that he was one of the best QB's in the NFL for quite some time. The Steelers offense will struggle this year, regardless if who the QB is.Matt Canada's offense is a "gimmick offense". At Pitt, it was new and something different for most defense's to play against. Now that it's been around for a couple of years, DC's have adjusted and now can prepare to face it.
Speaking of Canada, his time in Pittsburgh will be short. His offense will struggle in the NFL.
-About the Pitt football team...As long as Kedon Slovis is ok, the offense will be very good. I'm not expecting another season like last year, but finishing with at least 9 wins would make me happy.
About Pat Narduzzi,,,I've said it before and I'll say it again, Pat Narduzzi is the PERFECT coach for the Pitt football team.
A solid individual, who seems to be able to earn the trust of his recruits and their families. I'll take 8, 9 wins with him as the schools head coach over winning 10. 11 games with a douche like Saban.
-About MLB managers...Why is it that ALL of them look miserable all the time? They work 8-9 months a year and get paid at least a million a year, why not smile?
About soccer...What a horrible sport. It is like watching a musical play for 90 minutes. The constant diving by the goalies on any ball kicked towards the net is ridiculous. The ballet that is performed by the players on the "pitch" when they do their fake falls is makes me LOL. I love it when they do catch the wall and then lie on the ground hugging it like they are about to make live to it. Also, the "offside" rule needs to go.
-About jordan addison...He made a HUGE mistake. The numbers he will put up at USC this year pale in comparison to what he did at Pitt last year and what he would have done this year if he had stayed. The best QB in the USC program, is now at Pitt. addison's decision says a lot more about him as a person then it does about the Pitt program.
That's all. Enjoy!!!
Interesting rant. Lol. Any late night beverage involved? Some good takes, some not…but interesting for sure.

About soccer...What a horrible sport. It is like watching a musical play for 90 minutes. The constant diving by the goalies on any ball kicked towards the net is ridiculous. The ballet that is performed by the players on the "pitch" when they do their fake falls is makes me LOL. I love it when they do catch the wall and then lie on the ground hugging it like they are about to make live to it. Also, the "offside" rule needs to go.
That's all. Enjoy!!!
Dry pancakes and pickle juice!

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
The thing about the Steelers? Yes, it's a true test, how many coaches run a team for 15 years and NEVER have to address the QB position. and YES, BAD, OLD, STIFF, NOODLE ARM BEN was still a better starting QB than at least a dozen others, and WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY better than Mason Rudolph, so yes it's going to be interesting.

Ny01MTA4LmpwZWc.jpeg

Couple points:

* For 18 months between mid 1983 and all 1984, this was one of only 5 number one albums. Can you name the others (without looking up!)

* The group (with a different name then, and Lewis only playing harmonica in the band) backed Elvis Costello for his initial album. So, pretentious music snobs here, stop your mocking.

Reactions: caleco's
Couple points:

* For 18 months between mid 1983 and all 1984, this was one of only 5 number one albums. Can you name the others (without looking up!)

* The group (with a different name then, and Lewis only playing harmonica in the band) backed Elvis Costello for his initial album. So, pretentious music snobs here, stop your mocking.

without google, I will say...

Prince Purple Rain
Michael Jackson Thriller
Bruce Springsteen Born in the USA
Madonna Like a Virgin

That's all. Enjoy!!!

i did enjoy, thanks!

But....I will take 10,11 win seasons with a d-bag coach than "nice guys" like Foge

Narduzzi, yeah I had my doubts after WMU. Needed a top 25 finish and he delivered. Seems to understand the environment here with navigating around the aura of the Steelers and the idiocy of the local media. Coming from MSU and dealing with Michigan prepped him well for dealing with PSU. Still wish he was a little stronger recruiter, but he is definitely the top coach since Sherrill.

For 18 months between mid 1983 and all 1984, this was one of only 5 number one albums. Can you name the others (without looking up!)

That isn't quite right. While Thriller was number one earlier in the year, at the end of 1983 it was only number one the last two weeks of the year. The Police, Quiet Riot and Lionel Richie had the number one albums from September through mid-December.

And by February of 1985 Madonna knocked Springsteen out of number one and ended the run. So it didn't last 18 months, it was "only" just under 14 months.

But yeah, I would have gotten the three obvious ones, but I never would have guessed Huey made it to number one, and like you say, the other one I never would have guessed either, but after having seen it, yeah, sure, makes sense.

There is nothing more ignorant than yinzer takes on soccer.
With all due respect to you wvkeeper, I am not a yinzer. I played the game for 4 years while my father was stationed in England. Honestly, it was boring to me then and it is even more so now. The 0-0 and 1-0 scores do not help the sport at all. Everything about the sport is done to keep the scores low. With low scores in any sport, boredom follows quickly.
It's okay if you have a different opinion on the subject, but what I said about the sport is not wrong. I so believe that most people would agree with what I said after watching a soccer game.

Another thing about MLB managers (specifically Pirates manager Derek Shelton) hwy don't you let your starting pitchers stay in the game longer then 5 or 6 innings? Tonight, Keller was pitching a good game and had a 5-2 lead, why take him out of the game? Brad Keller is a 27 year old professional athlete, in the prime of his life, why remove him and bring in a relief pitcher who is not as good as Keller? The constant babying of professional baseball players is annoying.
Give me pitchers like Bob Gibson, Nolan Ryan, Greg Maddux, Randy Johnson and the like any day of the week.

Reactions: Atlanta Panther
With all due respect to you wvkeeper, I am not a yinzer. I played the game for 4 years while my father was stationed in England. Honestly, it was boring to me then and it is even more so now. The 0-0 and 1-0 scores do not help the sport at all. Everything about the sport is done to keep the scores low. With low scores in any sport, boredom follows quickly.
It's okay if you have a different opinion on the subject, but what I said about the sport is not wrong. I so believe that most people would agree with what I said after watching a soccer game.
Most people? Considering it’s the biggest sport in the world, I would say most people would not agree with you. If you want to add selection bias to your poll of people, then I’m sure you’ll get a result that shows what you want.

Soccer has its flaws, as every sport does. The score argument is just an ignorant point though. A ball doesn’t have to cross the line and go into the net in order for there to be offense. I watched my favorite team lose in the spring in penalties after a 0-0 draw and 120 minutes played. It might have been the most exciting game I saw all year and that includes all other sports. Then I watched them play this past weekend and the game was a snooze. That’s sports.

I could sit here and list the things that’s wrong with American football, or we could discuss why the average age of a baseball fan is like 60 and increases each year. But it’s pointless because we like what we like and sports need to keep adapting and changing…or else a once national past time will become an afterthought like boxing and horse racing. Anyone here old enough to remember when the three biggest sports were baseball, boxing and horse racing?

Most people? Considering it’s the biggest sport in the world, I would say most people would not agree with you. If you want to add selection bias to your poll of people, then I’m sure you’ll get a result that shows what you want.

Soccer has its flaws, as every sport does. The score argument is just an ignorant point though. A ball doesn’t have to cross the line and go into the net in order for there to be offense. I watched my favorite team lose in the spring in penalties after a 0-0 draw and 120 minutes played. It might have been the most exciting game I saw all year and that includes all other sports. Then I watched them play this past weekend and the game was a snooze. That’s sports.

I could sit here and list the things that’s wrong with American football, or we could discuss why the average age of a baseball fan is like 60 and increases each year. But it’s pointless because we like what we like and sports need to keep adapting and changing…or else a once national past time will become an afterthought like boxing and horse racing. Anyone here old enough to remember when the three biggest sports were baseball, boxing and horse racing?
Well "most people" around the world, you only have soccer it is going to be huge. Everyone talks about how huge the EPL is or the German League, but there are no other really popular sports leagues in Europe. At least Western Europe. So you are accepting of crap because it is all you got. I am not saying soccer is crap, but I am saying and you know this, many teams just completely "dumb it down", they are the 1995 New Jersey Devils or 2000 Anaheim Ducks who don't care about scoring, just so they don't score. Hell, we saw Pitt fall victim to this in the Final 4.

That makes alot of the games boring and unwatchable. Just hoping almost for an "own goal" or fluky goal and not attacking at all. Now I am not advocating 8-7 games just like I don't in hockey, but those teams (I think Italy was noted for this) to just pack it in and play passive "futbol" is boring.

Well "most people" around the world, you only have soccer it is going to be huge. Everyone talks about how huge the EPL is or the German League, but there are no other really popular sports leagues in Europe. At least Western Europe. So you are accepting of crap because it is all you got. I am not saying soccer is crap, but I am saying and you know this, many teams just completely "dumb it down", they are the 1995 New Jersey Devils or 2000 Anaheim Ducks who don't care about scoring, just so they don't score. Hell, we saw Pitt fall victim to this in the Final 4.

That makes alot of the games boring and unwatchable. Just hoping almost for an "own goal" or fluky goal and not attacking at all. Now I am not advocating 8-7 games just like I don't in hockey, but those teams (I think Italy was noted for this) to just pack it in and play passive "futbol" is boring.
That’s an interesting point. I often wonder how supporters of these bad clubs do it. How do they accept a lifetime of misery supporting a miserable club? It’s because they don’t know any better and you’re right they don’t have anything else. Basketball and hockey just can’t rise to any real level of popularity. They were groomed to be a supporter of a terrible club since they were young and they now have a lifetime of heartache watching bad football. Lol.

You also bring up these teams as being a version of the New Jersey Devils. That’s because they have no choice. They can’t compete any other way. And that’s a problem with soccer. Euro football is essentially MLB. They are a few haves, and a majority of have nots.

Soccer ain’t for me. But why does that bother those who like it so much? I never go trolling on #SoccerToo web sites preaching on why football is so obviously better.

Soccer ain’t for me. But why does that bother those who like it so much? I never go trolling on #SoccerToo web sites preaching on why football is so obviously better.
I don’t think it bothers anyone and where are people saying soccer is obviously better? As I said above, we like what we like. But why are people so bothered by soccer that they go on football boards to tell everyone they don’t like soccer? It’s weird.

I don’t think it bothers anyone and where are people saying soccer is obviously better? As I said above, we like what we like. But why are people so bothered by soccer that they go on football boards to tell everyone they don’t like soccer? It’s weird.
It definitely bothers the soccer fans. And it is weirder for soccer fans to preach about it on football boards (which this is, even though it often doesn’t seem like it). The world loves the game, for whatever reason, but it does so shouldn’t you be happy with that?

It definitely bothers the soccer fans. And it is weirder for soccer fans to preach about it on football boards (which this is, even though it often doesn’t seem like it). The world loves the game, for whatever reason, but it does so shouldn’t you be happy with that?
No one came here to preach but the OP did. The OP brought up soccer on a football board a day and a half ago. If anyone was bothered by his post, they’d probably have preached a response the minute they saw it yesterday. I saw it yesterday and I didn’t feel the need to discuss it because it was the OP’s OPINION and his feelings. But once the discussion evolved, and his opinions were stated as facts, I chimed in. And I did so in a non threatening way acknowledging that soccer has its own issues.

there have been 100’s of soccer discussions on these boards through the years and because of them I have a pretty good grip on who all the fans of the sport are. They are many of them here. And an overwhelming # of them could care less who likes the sport and who doesn’t. And no one told you that you should like it. It’s your choice.

Last edited:
Another thing about MLB managers (specifically Pirates manager Derek Shelton) hwy don't you let your starting pitchers stay in the game longer then 5 or 6 innings? Tonight, Keller was pitching a good game and had a 5-2 lead, why take him out of the game? Brad Keller is a 27 year old professional athlete, in the prime of his life, why remove him and bring in a relief pitcher who is not as good as Keller? The constant babying of professional baseball players is annoying.
I don't know who Brad Keller is. Is he related to Mitch?

I don't know who Brad Keller is. Is he related to Mitch?
He pitches for the KC Royals. I had to look it up because I swear I knew of a Brad Keller from somewhere. @YourPittDanceTeam must really like baseball if he had a royals pitcher on his mind. That’s impressive. I might be able to name 5 American leaguers if I tried hard.

No one came here to preach but the OP did. The OP brought up soccer on a football board a day and a half ago. If anyone was bothered by his post, they’d probably have preached a response the minute they saw it yesterday. I saw it yesterday and I didn’t feel the need to discuss it because it was the OP’s OPINION and his feelings. But once the discussion evolved, and his opinions were stated as facts, I chimed in. And I did so in a non threatening way acknowledging that soccer has its own issues.

there have been 100’s of soccer discussions on these boards through the years and because of them I have a pretty good grip on who all the fans of the sport are. They are many of them here. And an overwhelming # of them could care less who likes the sport and who doesn’t. And no one told you that you should like it. It’s your choice.
Agree. Personally I do not care if others like or don’t like soccer. To each his own.

But to NFL and college American football fans there may be a coming threat. A high school here in Northern Virginia with an enrollment of about 1100 just dropped football because not enough kids came out for the team. This school has so many immigrant kids enrolled that they have too few kids with any interest in American football. Secondary Problem here—you will need to have such a school field multiple soccer teams to give enough kids an opportunity to compete equal to the numbers typically on an American football team.

Agree. Personally I do not care if others like or don’t like soccer. To each his own.

But to NFL and college American football fans there may be a coming threat. A high school here in Northern Virginia with an enrollment of about 1100 just dropped football because not enough kids came out for the team. This school has so many immigrant kids enrolled that they have too few kids with any interest in American football. Secondary Problem here—you will need to have such a school field multiple soccer teams to give enough kids an opportunity to compete equal to the numbers typically on an American football team.
Even the large schools in western PA have 60-70 kids trying out for the soccer teams. They typically keep 35-40. So those kids who can’t quite make it have to migrate to cross country, Lacrosse, etc.

Even the large schools in western PA have 60-70 kids trying out for the soccer teams. They typically keep 35-40. So those kids who can’t quite make it have to migrate to cross country, Lacrosse, etc.
They only had 11 kids total show up to tryout for the American football team—just an FYI.

They only had 11 kids total show up to tryout for the American football team—just an FYI.
That’s depressing. I like the fact that we have a sport that we can call our own that the rest of the world can’t find appealing. I really hope our football doesn’t fail.

"I watched my favorite team lose in the spring in penalties after a 0-0 draw and 120 minutes played. It might have been the most exciting game I saw all year and that includes all other sports. Then I watched them play this past weekend and the game was a snooze. That’s sports."

i think you just proved his point. 120 minutes with no completion of the primary outcome ( a goal) and no decision on THE ONLY REASON pro sports are played, a "w" or an "L"
120 minutes of nothing. did they get participation ribbons after the game.
btw soccer is the most widely played sport in the world because of socio-economic reasons not becasue its awesome. It is literally the cheapest sport to play in the history of man and can be played anywhere at anytime with a $5 ball

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT