ADVERTISEMENT

A Few Observations

cruzer

All Conference
Jul 27, 2001
Just a few post game observations:

1. We won but it wasn't pretty.
  2. The defense played well again. That said, we still haven't played anyone. Syracuse is terrible. Their offensive line can't block anyone. 16 sacks in two games? They're horrible so it's hard to say just how good the defense is having played two crappy teams.
  3. Our offense really needs work. Run blocking isn't very good. Our RB's are very pedestrian. Why AJ Davis ever sees the field is beyond my comprehension. He's not strong, can't make you miss, can't break tackles and has bad hands. Vince Davis is better but he's not much to watch either. Sibley is another very average guy. What Abanikanda didn't play (at least I didn't see him) is a mystery.
  4. We were extremely sloppy today. Many penalties and at least 2 or 3 were illegal procedure penalties for 5 guys in the backfield. Jeez, getting lined up correctly is pretty basic. What the heck are these guys doing in practice all week?
  5. Pickett played pretty well most of the game. One thing he really needs to work on is touch on the short swing passes. Several times he gunned the ball high. That's the kind of ball that results in a pick 6.
  6. Kessman should change his name to Messman.... he was simply terrible. He better find some accuracy because you can't leave 9 points on the field against a good team.
Louisville looks beatable, but we'll have to play way better than this week.

Cruzer

Pickett was fine today, except for still being a little skittish when he had pressure or guys were covered. Give him 3 of the 4 or 5 drops and he's 28 of 36 for 250+

They need to find someway to run the football.

You have to get Kessman fixed and that's only going to happen by him kicking FGs. He's their kicker.

Reactions: BPKY

2. The defense played well again. That said, we still haven't played anyone. Syracuse is terrible. Their offensive line can't block anyone. 16 sacks in two games? They're horrible so it's hard to say just how good the defense is having played two crappy teams.
  3. Our offense really needs work. Run blocking isn't very good. Our RB's are very pedestrian. Why AJ Davis ever sees the field is beyond my comprehension. He's not strong, can't make you miss, can't break tackles and has bad hands. Vince Davis is better but he's not much to watch either. Sibley is another very average guy. What Abanikanda didn't play (at least I didn't see him) is a mystery.
  4. We were extremely sloppy today. Many penalties and at least 2 or 3 were illegal procedure penalties for 5 guys in the backfield. Jeez, getting lined up correctly is pretty basic. What the heck are these guys doing in practice all week?
  5. Pickett played pretty well most of the game. One thing he really needs to work on is touch on the short swing passes. Several times he gunned the ball high. That's the kind of ball that results in a pick 6.
  6. Kessman should change his name to Messman.... he was simply terrible. He better find some accuracy because you can't leave 9 points on the field against a good team.

Cruzer
Good observations. However, these observations could’ve been posted in September 2019. All these things needed fixed then As they do now. Our coaching staff can’t fix it.

Reactions: cashisking884
Pickett was alright today. He had a few drops from the TEs/WRs but also got off target when he was on the move. He just gets happy feet too easily. I agree we need to get the ground game going and that will help the passing game, though, it looked very good on the third touchdown drive. I'd also like to see them try to get Addison in the open field or hit him in stride on a pass.

Also, I've watched a ton of games with marching bands. The ACC/Pitt/whoever needs to find a way to get Pitt's band in the stands. It adds a ton to the gameday atmosphere

Cruzer
Regarding Abinikanda, I can only think that they were concerned about turnovers and blocking assignments. The only way Cuse was going to get back into the game is if we gave it to them.

Reactions: gary2
I rewatched the game and certain plays a handful of times.
  1. We won but it wasn't pretty. AGREE
  2. The defense played well again. That said, we still haven't played anyone. Syracuse is terrible. Their offensive line can't block anyone. 16 sacks in two games? They're horrible so it's hard to say just how good the defense is having played two crappy teams. We have a lot of talent and speed. DL/LB/DB. Ford was the person responsible for Cuse touchdown. I rewatched the play 5 times.
  3. Our offense really needs work. Run blocking isn't very good. Our RB's are very pedestrian. Why AJ Davis ever sees the field is beyond my comprehension. He's not strong, can't make you miss, can't break tackles and has bad hands. Vince Davis is better but he's not much to watch either. Sibley is another very average guy. What Abanikanda didn't play (at least I didn't see him) is a mystery. A lot to comment on here. The RT position is BAD. Grade transfer was really bad. Kradel (my guy) struggled early and got better late. Warren is better than last year, but will not be all acc anytime soon. I see why we move the pocket so much. Izzy got to play I saw 1 play and he blew his job in pass pro. I personally like AJ Davis after rewatching the game (still like Sibley the most). Vincent davis is good in space, but kills the pass game cause he can't block anyone (rewatch makes this painfully obvious).
  4. We were extremely sloppy today. Many penalties and at least 2 or 3 were illegal procedure penalties for 5 guys in the backfield. Jeez, getting lined up correctly is pretty basic. What the heck are these guys doing in practice all week? Agree
  5. Pickett played pretty well most of the game. One thing he really needs to work on is touch on the short swing passes. Several times he gunned the ball high. That's the kind of ball that results in a pick 6. I think part of the problem is not having time and the back don't run great routes.
  6. Kessman should change his name to Messman.... he was simply terrible. He better find some accuracy because you can't leave 9 points on the field against a good team. Not worried he will win us a game or 2 this year.
Mentioned this on another post. We are 1 stud running back away from being really good. Honestly a completely different offense.
Cruzer

Good observations. However, these observations could’ve been posted in September 2019. All these things needed fixed then As they do now. Our coaching staff can’t fix it.
Or the players they have can't be fixed. The penalties can be blamed on the coaches but you can't blame them for pickets lack of touch or the drops.

Whipple insists on going sideways with wide outs and lousy swing passes (as opposed to jet patterns). Syracuse needed only to defend within 7 yards of the line of scrimmage.

Rewatching a quick version of the game:

I think the lack of execution and stupid penalties is what is really most disheartening.
You can delude yourself into thinking that the talent is going to get a lot better. It can always be upgraded. Get everything else right, and that will be the final piece. I disagree that the talent is really getting any better, but fine.

But so many on this board all off-season told us what an advantage it was that everybody was coming back, from players to coaches. Having to install anything new in a shortened time period, would be too difficult. So all of these teams doing it are at a disadvantage to us.

And in theory that is probably right. But you have to keep it in theory, and not bother to look at our actual coaches. Because nothing about us is a prepared team. Nothing about us is a team that benefits from continuity. Because the continuity is a staff that is always unprepared and has an undisciplined team. We look like the team that had 4 weeks to install a new system with new players.

And in Year 6, with an upperclassmen laden team, why would that ever change if it doesn’t change this year?

It was sloppy but I never felt nervous about the win. They looked more like a good team playing sloppy than a bad team to me. Louisville is an important game. These are strange times. How will this team react to a different atmosphere on the road? I'm really liking this team. I think we grab a close win.

Too many plays sideways (or backwards). Never gonna find a running game with nothing downfield

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I thought that was a beautifully played defensive game.
Not sure why the need to call wins ugly or bad. We won by 11 and doubled up their yardage. Enjoy it, we have a ridiculously hard schedule ahead.

Regarding Abinikanda, I can only think that they were concerned about turnovers and blocking assignments. The only way Cuse was going to get back into the game is if we gave it to them.

Was he on the sideline?

I'm going to be patient. I mean...yes...some of the same mistakes. What were the coaches doing during spring ball and training camp. Oh wait....

Rewatching a quick version of the game:

I think the lack of execution and stupid penalties is what is really most disheartening.
You can delude yourself into thinking that the talent is going to get a lot better. It can always be upgraded. Get everything else right, and that will be the final piece. I disagree that the talent is really getting any better, but fine.

But so many on this board all off-season told us what an advantage it was that everybody was coming back, from players to coaches. Having to install anything new in a shortened time period, would be too difficult. So all of these teams doing it are at a disadvantage to us.

And in theory that is probably right. But you have to keep it in theory, and not bother to look at our actual coaches. Because nothing about us is a prepared team. Nothing about us is a team that benefits from continuity. Because the continuity is a staff that is always unprepared and has an undisciplined team. We look like the team that had 4 weeks to install a new system with new players.

And in Year 6, with an upperclassmen laden team, why would that ever change if it doesn’t change this year?

I dunno, most people predicted 6 or 7 wins. Not sure many expected a potent offense, but certainly one that was better than last year. I was more disheartened by the inability to run the ball. Penalties and mistakes can be corrected, but lack of OL push isn't easily corrected.

We have talent on defense, need to upgrade talent on offense. We'll have a better idea of where we are in a few more weeks.

I dunno, most people predicted 6 or 7 wins. Not sure many expected a potent offense, but certainly one that was better than last year. I was more disheartened by the inability to run the ball. Penalties and mistakes can be corrected, but lack of OL push isn't easily corrected.

We have talent on defense, need to upgrade talent on offense. We'll have a better idea of where we are in a few more weeks.
It does look alarmingly like we once again don't have a running game. The O-line is suspect and the backs look pedestrian. Nothing looks very dynamic offensively so far other than a couple of the young receivers. And Pickett simply isn't good enough to put this team on his shoulders, he's just not that kind of player.

The defense has not been tested but definitely looks legit as expected. My gut feeling is the D will do its job against Louisville. But if the O can't stay on the field.....

Pitt's not gonna outcoach too many teams.

Still very early during a weird year for all of college football, the next couple of weeks should tell us a lot more about what kind of team we have this year.

I think that’s a separate conversation though.

I had us at 5-6 before the season started. And much of that was because I just don’t like Whipple and I don’t like the offensive talent. I didn’t see much of a ceiling to both of those things. So I’m not criticizing the offense for sucking per se, I expected it to suck. Criticisms and a discussion why it sucks, and what parties are to blame, is its own discussion.

But where you can be at with talent and scheme, is separate from whether the team is constantly putting itself in bad spots due to poor execution and stupid mistakes. At some point that becomes a top down, culture problem.

This is the year, whatever other limitations one might expect due to talent and scheme, you would expect the stupid and disorganized stuff to be gone. It’s Year 6 and the team is largely upperclassmen. Everybody returned, from players to coaches. If it’s still happening now, why would it ever be fixed? Even if in theory it can be. That’s like saying Les Miles can eventually stop calling low % game day strategies. Sure, in theory he could stop it at any time. Yet, two weeks ago I just watched him go for 2 while down 11. At this point, it’s just who he is and what his teams will do.

ADVERTISEMENT