ADVERTISEMENT

A note on the women’s team...

MajorMajors

All American
Sep 29, 2002
Spoke to AD Heather L. at the Pitt- Duke FB game and one of the topics we touched on was the women’s BB team. I said I was glad to see Coach Suzie bringing in so many reinforcements for this season, and how unusual it is for Pitt to have 14 scholarship players (the women’s team is allowed up to 15 scholarships).

She said that coaches generally worry about having a bigger roster because you can’t play so many, but she said she believes if you have the scholies you should use them.

I don’t remember Pitt having over 10 or maybe 11 scholarship players in the past. But since we misfire on a lot of our recruits, (not to mention the transfers-out) it makes sense to me to load up the roster and let the competition sort things out.

Anyway, I like HL encouraging/approving the way Coach Suzie has overhauled the women’s team...

(BTW, this year’s team will have one senior and 5 true freshmen on the roster...)

Go Pitt.

I think lots of women's hoops teams historically haven't kept their rosters at 15 since the lack of sufficient PT issue tends to increase the likelihood of transfers out. Other than say, at UConn, younger players won't be willing to wait their turn. Also, for some reason, players in women's hoops have seemed to me, at least, to be more likely to transfer than in men's hoops. Of course, that trend seems to be changing the last couple of years with an increasing transfer rate in men's hoops.

When you only hit the mark on maybe half of your recruits - which teams like Pitt tend to do - then it's awfully tough to put together a starting 5 and a couple of good backups when you're only working with a total of 10 players.

Bringing in 14 or 15 will cause problems with playing time, but, seems to me, you have a much better chance of ending up with a couple more better players... And there is the likelihood of those who don't play transferring out. Hell, at Pitt, we've seen those who do play transfer out...

Go Pitt.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT