ADVERTISEMENT

A question you never thought you would hear.

Las Panteras

All Conference
May 11, 2014
Pitt takes care of business next Friday. Possibly ranked at 5-2, lots of positive media locally and nationally and certainly lots of buzz for the Miami game.

The question: which game will draw better

Pitt Miami on Saturday at HF?

Or the Steelers Dolphins on Monday night?

Steelers...not even close.
As it should be! So they're having a down year, after 15 straight winning seasons that included 2 Super Bowl trophies, so yes, even if Pitt is ranked and 5-2, they still don't deserve the attention the Steelers get... at least win 10 games in a season and be ranked higher than 20-25, then after that, MAYBE you can claim you MIGHT deserve more attention than a Steelers team having a bad season.

Pitt can be 9-2 and if the last game of the year was at home they would struggle to get 40k there.
if it meant something, like if we win we get coastal crown, i think we'd get a real nice crowd, 46-49k type crowd, i really do. But you have a valid point i believe. Pitt fans seem to dwindle as season goes on. a lot of that is due to a few losses mid season and the significance of games don't mean much..

But i think you are being overly pessimistic with this statement. these late oct/early nov games mean something, we'll get decent crowds. not steeler crowds but mid 40k crowds which are respectable IMO.

I don't think the difference will be as great as some are making it out to be. That Steeler game is going to draw about 52 at the most. People don't go on Monday Nights even when the team doesn't suck and isn't facing a terrible opponent. Still, I'd say the Pitt game with max out somewhere in the 40-45 range.

Lots of people not a fan of the prime time games on a work night, but hard to see more than 10-15k empty seats for that MNF game. Late December might be a different story.

if it meant something, like if we win we get coastal crown, i think we'd get a real nice crowd, 46-49k type crowd, i really do. But you have a valid point i believe. Pitt fans seem to dwindle as season goes on. a lot of that is due to a few losses mid season and the significance of games don't mean much..

But i think you are being overly pessimistic with this statement. these late oct/early nov games mean something, we'll get decent crowds. not steeler crowds but mid 40k crowds which are respectable IMO.
I do believe, that if Pitt had 8-9-10 wins and the final game or 2 was for the division title, and they where ranked, with a decent ACC division opponent, like VT or Miami, you could get in the 50-60K range.

Reactions: caleco's
Lots of people not a fan of the prime time games on a work night, but hard to see more than 10-15k empty seats for that MNF game. Late December might be a different story.
oh man, i disagree there. i remember MNF games being an "event" but those days are long gone. MNF in Pittsburgh is very detrimental to attendance. was it only a few years ago where the commissioner contacted rooney on how bad the crowd looked at Heinz for a MNF game. a steeler team doing bad, having a game on Monday night at 8:20, that crowd will be sparse..

Reactions: magadog

There will be at least 5,000 - 8,000 no-shows by virtue of it simply being a Monday Night game. Add in the circumstances of this season, and 15-20 seems very plausible to me. The only reason that number won't be even bigger is because a lot of people who normally don't get to go to games are going to be picking up tickets for either free or dirt cheap.

Pitt takes care of business next Friday. Possibly ranked at 5-2, lots of positive media locally and nationally and certainly lots of buzz for the Miami game.

The question: which game will draw better

Pitt Miami on Saturday at HF?

Or the Steelers Dolphins on Monday night?
Steelers-Dolphins, no doubt.

Who wouldn’t want to see the sequel to this 2007 Monday night thriller? :rolleyes:

There will be at least 5,000 - 8,000 no-shows by virtue of it simply being a Monday Night game. Add in the circumstances of this season, and 15-20 seems very plausible to me. The only reason that number won't be even bigger is because a lot of people who normally don't get to go to games are going to be picking up tickets for either free or dirt cheap.
you guys watching these steeler games lately? There are over 8k no shows now, for a steeler / raven game.. Rooney would love only 5-8k no shows. there is going to be a heck of a lot more than that for a MNF game where the steelers are out of the playoff run..

oh man, i disagree there. i remember MNF games being an "event" but those days are long gone. MNF in Pittsburgh is very detrimental to attendance. was it only a few years ago where the commissioner contacted rooney on how bad the crowd looked at Heinz for a MNF game. a steeler team doing bad, having a game on Monday night at 8:20, that crowd will be sparse..
I agree! Nowadays, I never really watch MNF, unless the Steelers are playing. Yes, even this bad Steeler team, I'll watch them play over KC/NE, that's just who I am. But I don't really watch any other teams on these Prime Time games. I just don't care that much. I went to a MNF game at 3Rivers in '99, vs. the Falcons. It was fun, but I'd never go if I didn't take Tuesday off work. I've been to a couple TNF games as well. One in Nashville and one in Heinz Field. Yeah, these games where an "event", like when Dandy Don and Howard Cossell where the announcers, to me that's how long it's been since it was an event, in those days, I'd watch every week, now, I doubt I watch 2 hours total of MNF games that Don't include the Steelers for the entire season.

I agree! Nowadays, I never really watch MNF, unless the Steelers are playing. Yes, even this bad Steeler team, I'll watch them play over KC/NE, that's just who I am. But I don't really watch any other teams on these Prime Time games. I just don't care that much. I went to a MNF game at 3Rivers in '99, vs. the Falcons. It was fun, but I'd never go if I didn't take Tuesday off work. I've been to a couple TNF games as well. One in Nashville and one in Heinz Field. Yah, these games where an "even", like when Dandy Don and Howard Cossell where the announcers, to me that's how long it's been since it was an event, in those days, I'd watch every week, now, I doubt I watch 2 hours total of MNF games that Don't include the Steelers for the entire season.
MNF really has jumped the shark. Sunday night games are still huge and i think these new thur night nfl games are bigger than MNF. kind of sad too cause it wasn't that long ago that MNF was the thing to watch if you even remotely liked football..

i think college football is slowly surrendering thur night games and taking over Friday night. yes, they still play thur night but if you compare the matchups vs Friday night games this year, the Friday night games are much bigger with P5 matchups. Thur night for college football is still gonna happen but go to the NON P5 matchups. give them an opportunity to be the main game..

Reactions: Mikefln
you guys watching these steeler games lately? There are over 8k no shows now, for a steeler / raven game.. Rooney would love only 5-8k no shows. there is going to be a heck of a lot more than that for a MNF game where the steelers are out of the playoff run..

I think you're misinterpreting what I'm saying. Even in the past few years, when we've had a competitive team, there have been 5,000+ no-shows on Monday Night. This year, under these circumstances, I'm expecting 15-20. I go to a pretty fair amount of the games, and it's always been a big deal when there have been 5,000 no-shows. It's not quite as rampant as you're making it seem. Our average attendance this season has been 62,353. At a 65,500 official capacity, that leaves only 3,147 no-shows per game so far.

Edit: I think official capacity might actually be closer to 68,000 now that they've added those end zone seats. So it might be closer to 6,000 no-shows/game. I would guess the Cincy game has played a large role in that if so.

You notice also, that the MNF announcers are really pretty much NOBODIES! Used to be they wanted celebrities and football royalty. They'd hire HUGE NAMES, Broadway Joe, OJ, with the best of the best play by play guys, treat it like it was the biggest stage, now, it's just run of the mill dudes.

You notice also, that the MNF announcers are really pretty much NOBODIES! Used to be they wanted celebrities and football royalty. They'd hire HUGE NAMES, Broadway Joe, OJ, with the best of the best play by play guys, treat it like it was the biggest stage, now, it's just run of the mill dudes.
uh yes, i discovered that fact last Monday with this booger clown. i never pay attention to announcers either and he was painfully bad.

Reactions: Mikefln and Pitt79
Another question that I thought that I'd never hear is:

Who's got the better defense (adjusted for level of play, of course) - Pitt or the Steelers?

So as of this morning, the majority say the Steelers game.

We should revisit this question in 2 weeks. A combination of a Pitt win Friday with a beatdown in San Diego Sunday night may change a few minds.

I happen to think it will be very similar and would not be surprised to see a bigger Pitt crowd.

Thus further proving we are as much a front runner town as anyone else.

Reactions: bubba31
So as of this morning, the majority say the Steelers game.

We should revisit this question in 2 weeks. A combination of a Pitt win Friday with a beatdown in San Diego Sunday night may change a few minds.

I happen to think it will be very similar and would not be surprised to see a bigger Pitt crowd.

Thus further proving we are as much a front runner town as anyone else.

In fairness, why wouldn't you be a front-runner? Why would anyone sit through a Monday Night Game pitting the 1-5 Steelers against the 0-and-whatever Dolphins? You'd have to chain me to the seat to watch that.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
Why do we always have to compare Pitt's attendance with someone else's?

I'll go a step further. If Pitt ever had a chance to capitalize on the crummy state of Pittsburgh sports and become a local darling, that time is now.
i may be in the minority but i really don't think one effects the other. i don't think the steelers sucking will effect a pitt crowd.

a lot of people seem to lump these two groups into one and it's illogical to be honest. like there is a sports fan out there and he has the time and money to follow one team so he picks the steelers over pitt. but, if the steelers were bad enough, he'd take his limited resources and start going to pitt games. like he has to go to one game at Heinz a weekend and better Saturday than sunday..

this is a silly notion and when you actually type it out and read it, it sounds sillier.. we as yinzer sports fans have the ability to watch pitt and the steelers, go to games on Saturdays AND sundays. it's not either/or.

i think we have a small base of devoted fans and a larger casual fanbase. fans that will watch us on tv and jump on bandwagon but don't prioritize going to a game over other weekend duties.. to get over that attendance hump, to get a consistent 47k over the 39k attendance, we need to give reason for those fans to go to games, to be excited enough to get the kids in the car and drive down to north shore. steelers being 1-4 with a guy called the Duck starting at qb wont effect that as much as winning a lot of games will.

I'd put Tomlin at 70% and Narduzzi at 100%.
No, The Rooneys are TOO STUPID to fire Dumlin! They think their stupid "never fire the coach rule" is so damn important to follow, fire coordinators though, or cut players, but why? Why I ask? Can't it be possible, at least a little possible? That the HC IS THE PROBLEM? It makes no sense.

No, The Rooneys are TOO STUPID to fire Dumlin! They think their stupid "never fire the coach rule" is so damn important to follow, fire coordinators though, or cut players, but why? Why I ask? Can't it be possible, at least a little possible? That the HC IS THE PROBLEM? It makes no sense.

Fire yes, get a suckers haul from the Redskins ...
*waits hopefully*

Hell I'd take a 6pack and it don't even have to be cold

Edit: Damn spellcheck

i may be in the minority but i really don't think one effects the other. i don't think the steelers sucking will effect a pitt crowd.

a lot of people seem to lump these two groups into one and it's illogical to be honest. like there is a sports fan out there and he has the time and money to follow one team so he picks the steelers over pitt. but, if the steelers were bad enough, he'd take his limited resources and start going to pitt games. like he has to go to one game at Heinz a weekend and better Saturday than sunday..

this is a silly notion and when you actually type it out and read it, it sounds sillier.. we as yinzer sports fans have the ability to watch pitt and the steelers, go to games on Saturdays AND sundays. it's not either/or.

i think we have a small base of devoted fans and a larger casual fanbase. fans that will watch us on tv and jump on bandwagon but don't prioritize going to a game over other weekend duties.. to get over that attendance hump, to get a consistent 47k over the 39k attendance, we need to give reason for those fans to go to games, to be excited enough to get the kids in the car and drive down to north shore. steelers being 1-4 with a guy called the Duck starting at qb wont effect that as much as winning a lot of games will.

No, you're right. Pitt will never skim Stiller fans of the top. I think a lot of Yinzer's have a passing fascination with Pitt and will support them when they're successful. They're just not CFB fans and probably won't ever be.

I agree with most. The Pitt game isnt going to be attended well. They can rank us all they want, but most Pitt fans arent going to feel Pitt has done anything to deserve the ranking... If Pitt beat PSU and they were 5-2 and dominated a few of their wins then they would have interest... Pitt isnt consistent enough.
I dont think many people view the ACC coastal as much better than the MAC either, and Cincy beating UCF hurts our perception. Pitt is going to have to not just win, but play attractive football and look the part to get attendance up.

Reactions: PittPanthers90
Steelers.

Pitt could win 5 national championships in a row and still draw less than a mediocre steelers team.

Reactions: Pitt79

Well, Pitt hoops benefited from the Pens collapse pre-Sidney. Winning games in the BE became a hot draw. Capel needs to seize the moment in the next 18 months.
The Steelers might be heading for a dark era, but that won't change the perception of Pitt FB. Winning will do that. The Bucs won't draw flies next year. Doesn't help Pitt at all.

Reactions: PittPanthers90
Well, Pitt hoops benefited from the Pens collapse pre-Sidney. Winning games in the BE became a hot draw. Capel needs to seize the moment in the next 18 months.
The Steelers might be heading for a dark era, but that won't change the perception of Pitt FB. Winning will do that. The Bucs won't draw flies next year. Doesn't help Pitt at all.

Pens may be headed for a dark era, too. Yes, time to seize the moment.

This town is such a bandwagon town it's silly. I can't wait for the Stillers to continue their collapse - n'at - and then hope upon hope the Panthers take off so people start coming to their games

Steelers.

Pitt could win 5 national championships in a row and still draw less than a mediocre steelers team.
That's just not true. This town is bandwagon city. It's already showing with the Steelers. Did you see the attendance for Baltimore? It's already going down hill. Now that all the competent Rooney's are gone or no longer making decisions, this franchise will continue to fall. Thank the good lord

ADVERTISEMENT