ADVERTISEMENT

A question you never thought you would hear.

This town is such a bandwagon town it's silly. I can't wait for the Stillers to continue their collapse - n'at - and then hope upon hope the Panthers take off so people start coming to their games
Attendance increases for teams when they win. It decreases when they lose. This isn’t a Pittsburgh thing, happens everywhere.

This town is such a bandwagon town it's silly. I can't wait for the Stillers to continue their collapse - n'at - and then hope upon hope the Panthers take off so people start coming to their games
This is the definition of an ********* (insert anything offensive here :) )! I mean, wishing bad on someone else, because you're never good enough to deserve the spotlight on your own merit.

That's just not true. This town is bandwagon city. It's already showing with the Steelers. Did you see the attendance for Baltimore? It's already going down hill. Now that all the competent Rooney's are gone or no longer making decisions, this franchise will continue to fall. Thank the good lord

I don't live in Pittsburgh but I support the Steelers, PENS, and Pirates.
Pittsburgh is a bandwagon city.
There's nothing wrong with Bandwagon, its not a bad word, it provides teams and owners an incentive to win.
It's call Champ City, it's used to winning, when teams don't win fans don't attend games.
Other cities attract big crowds even when their teams are terrible.

Years ago we took our kids to a Phillies game, the Phillies were terrible that year, the fans came to the game to boo, the team. They yelled stuff like you guys su-k, plus some other catchy phrases all game long.
When the starting pitcher came off the mound after giving up 6 or so runs he gave the Phillies crowd the finger. Good fan team interaction.

The NY who play in NJ Giants, the Packers all get good crowds when the team is struggling.
Some cities don't support the team when they win?

Each city has its own identity but Pittsburgh is Bandwagon.
An out of the area viewpoint.

True true...I just can't wait for the Panther wagon to get full again. All a freaking board my dude
Something REALLY BIG needs to happen, ON THE FIELD, an 8-4 season or something like that won't do it, to really create excitement, you need 10-2 with a top 10 ranking or better.

Something REALLY BIG needs to happen, ON THE FIELD, an 8-4 season or something like that won't do it, to really create excitement, you need 10-2 with a top 10 ranking or better.
i remember the city really going nuts in 09 for pitt football before that national ND game. i know Notre dame brings attention regardless but this was a very Pro-Pitt buzz around the city. think there was a go pitt lights at the steel building and even that young mayor dude, the one who liked to get all busted up nightly in south side, declared it Pitt day.. i haven't seen that.

Of course we were like 7-1 and ranked in top 10 going into that game. add in Notre Dame on ABC at 8pm and it's a perfect storm. But yes, this city will embrace pitt if we have a great year. kind of stinks that it takes a great effort to get there but it is what it is.

For PITT a good season 9-3 or better and one or two "stars" who people want to watch each week. QB /wr combo, an exciting RB, lock down CB, or great safety like Paris Ford in combination with great team defense will bring them in too.

i remember the city really going nuts in 09 for pitt football before that national ND game. i know Notre dame brings attention regardless but this was a very Pro-Pitt buzz around the city. think there was a go pitt lights at the steel building and even that young mayor dude, the one who liked to get all busted up nightly in south side, declared it Pitt day.. i haven't seen that.

Of course we were like 7-1 and ranked in top 10 going into that game. add in Notre Dame on ABC at 8pm and it's a perfect storm. But yes, this city will embrace pitt if we have a great year. kind of stinks that it takes a great effort to get there but it is what it is.
Yup, I was at that game. And really we could of been 8-0, we where beating NC State until Russell Wilson brought them back! Then we lose to Cincy, after leading 31-10, finish with a close loss to WVU, went 10-3 that year, and really, a 12-0 regular season was seriously within reach, there was excitement that year on that level.

I am just curious how many stadiums are packed these days. We know OSU, PSU, Alabama, and others are always full. But I saw part of the Miami-Va Tech game and it looked worse than any Pitt home game and the same for the Duke-Pitt game. Even the Texas-WVU game had a lot of empty seats. I am just curious why Pitt fans get so upset when it is not just Pitt alone. There are so many factors that go into it when comparing Pitt to other places like PSU or WVU that Pitt has to deal with and those two never will. I know Pitt is not alone in this issue and I wonder what the difference is in how many stadiums are full during games and how many are not.

I am just curious how many stadiums are packed these days. We know OSU, PSU, Alabama, and others are always full. But I saw part of the Miami-Va Tech game and it looked worse than any Pitt home game and the same for the Duke-Pitt game. Even the Texas-WVU game had a lot of empty seats. I am just curious why Pitt fans get so upset when it is not just Pitt alone. There are so many factors that go into it when comparing Pitt to other places like PSU or WVU that Pitt has to deal with and those two never will. I know Pitt is not alone in this issue and I wonder what the difference is in how many stadiums are full during games and how many are not.
we are smack dab in middle with avg home game attendance. #s i saw were in '17 and the avg FBS attendance was 42k. We were actually at 37k but that was an ugly year. i think we are usually around 40k on average which is pretty much smack dab in the middle.

Schools in acc like va tech, Clemson will do better and the wake and Duke's will do worse.. we just dwell on it because some pitt fans who are at home watching it on tv(I'll ignore the hypocrisy there) don't like the opening scene with yellow seats in the background so they dwell on it.

So far, this year, we've had 47k, 42k, 42k and 44k in 4 home games. that's almost 44k per game. with our season, that number will grow. we will be above the avg this year in the FBS. but some pitt fan at home will see some yellow seats when the team runs out of the tunnel and complain about how we don't get enough at Heinz and how we don't get to our seats in time.. same old crap every year.

Maybe all of those at home watching who complain should by a ticket and just have a cardboard cutout of themselves sent to Heinz and placed in their seat during games so it looks more full.

we are smack dab in middle with avg home game attendance. #s i saw were in '17 and the avg FBS attendance was 42k. We were actually at 37k but that was an ugly year. i think we are usually around 40k on average which is pretty much smack dab in the middle.

Schools in acc like va tech, Clemson will do better and the wake and Duke's will do worse.. we just dwell on it because some pitt fans who are at home watching it on tv(I'll ignore the hypocrisy there) don't like the opening scene with yellow seats in the background so they dwell on it.

So far, this year, we've had 47k, 42k, 42k and 44k in 4 home games. that's almost 44k per game. with our season, that number will grow. we will be above the avg this year in the FBS. but some pitt fan at home will see some yellow seats when the team runs out of the tunnel and complain about how we don't get enough at Heinz and how we don't get to our seats in time.. same old crap every year.

What is your point?

Yeah and we'd get at least 45,000, which isn't bad for an urban campus.

Significantly better than Boston College or Rutgers, slightly better than Georgia Tech, just a tad behind Louisville, and really not all that far behind where "the U" or USC could end up this year (though their ceilings, especially USC's, are quite a bit higher on a good year.)

This is the definition of an ********* (insert anything offensive here :) )! I mean, wishing bad on someone else, because you're never good enough to deserve the spotlight on your own merit.
I'd rather root for any NFL demise if it will bring fans to the college game. The NFL has become a joke

Reactions: boseman7
I do believe, that if Pitt had 8-9-10 wins and the final game or 2 was for the division title, and they where ranked, with a decent ACC division opponent, like VT or Miami, you could get in the 50-60K range.
They've gotten that in the past vs a Miami team ranked high in a situation where if they win they win the division ....theyve gotten well over 50k in those instances

Difference is fans trust the Pens ownership in a rebuild so they will keep coming.....at least i would
I don't know if I trust the Pens owners in a rebuild? There's no luckier franchise in sports history! I mean they just happened to totally suck and bottom out just in time to end up with Lemieux, then they get Jagr, then they suck again, just in time for Fleury and Malkin, then they get to remain the worst 2 straight years because of a strike to get Crosby? Gimme a break! Hopefully they'll bottom out just in time for the next Lemieux/Crosby type generational player to be #1 in the draft?

I don't know if I trust the Pens owners in a rebuild? There's no luckier franchise in sports history! I mean they just happened to totally suck and bottom out just in time to end up with Lemieux, then they get Jagr, then they suck again, just in time for Fleury and Malkin, then they get to remain the worst 2 straight years because of a strike to get Crosby? Gimme a break! Hopefully they'll bottom out just in time for the next Lemieux/Crosby type generational player to be #1 in the draft?
I bet you believe in the mythical "Steeler way" too

Yup, I was at that game. And really we could of been 8-0, we where beating NC State until Russell Wilson brought them back! Then we lose to Cincy, after leading 31-10, finish with a close loss to WVU, went 10-3 that year, and really, a 12-0 regular season was seriously within reach, there was excitement that year on that level.

You have that backwards. Cincinnati was the last game of the year in early December, just above freezing. Seemed like a lot of Cincinnati fans there, all cheering in the bars after the game as they were heading to a BCS bowl.

Difference is fans trust the Pens ownership in a rebuild so they will keep coming.....at least i would

Pens fans may still be coming, but certainly not with the same fervor. I see tickets available on the secondary market for a mere $10, which can’t possibly be a good sign.

Pens fans may still be coming, but certainly not with the same fervor. I see tickets available on the secondary market for a mere $10, which can’t possibly be a good sign.

The Pens sellout “streak” is very manufactured and you have to wonder if it doesn’t end soon. And I remember going down to scalp tickets in those early-mid 2000s and having scalpers dogging me across the street as I passed up the offers for D-E levels and sought out better seats because they were so cheap.

Back on track, seems they were 10k under capacity for the MNF game vs Cincinnati. Against Miami, you’d figure it’d be a bit worse but probably too early for a lot worse. If they win Sunday it might be better.

Well,

As the OP, I suppose step 1 is in the books. Miami beat UVA.

I would think next is a Steelers loss tomorrow night.

But most of the lower bowl old geezer season ticket holders have always not come when they dont win...its just in a year where you start 1-4 the resell market suffers lol....

Devlin Hodges is the qb

there will be no wins -
Except Miami and cincy who are worse

If Rudolph comes back and is at least semi healthy this team is going to win some games, he can play and should improve with more reps.

That being said I don’t understand the line move on tonight’s game, the Chargers look shaky this season, but it’s Devlin freaking Hodges back there.

If Rudolph comes back and is at least semi healthy this team is going to win some games, he can play and should improve with more reps.

That being said I don’t understand the line move on tonight’s game, the Chargers look shaky this season, but it’s Devlin freaking Hodges back there.

there is something enjoyable about this season - because there is no anxiety -
Seeing the defense improve gives hope -
But the offense is lacking in talent from
The losses and injuries .

In retrospect I wish I would have had surgery instead of watching that game. How many PI's did Pitt have in one drive? Then the punt. Blew a huge lead. Miserable day!

Thanks that’s what I thought. I had surgery just before that gameband could not go.

ADVERTISEMENT