ADVERTISEMENT

A really dumb team

Absolutely horrible
Other than Elliott’ VERY streaky shooting, he is awful. Not athletic enough for this level (looking at you also Cummings), does not play any defense, can’t put ball on floor to get to the rim, and no basketball sense at all as he doesn’t see the floor!
For the life of me, are we the only team that has 5th and 6th year seniors (Elliott, Burton, Cummings) who make the dumbest mistakes imaginable, particularly at the end of the game.
I say let’s roll with the twins, Hinson, Federico. Hugley, (when they get back) and maybe Sibande and see what happens.
We certainly can’t do any worse than this cluster!

Greg Elliott picked the wrong night to play this bad.
So true!
Elliott had a bad game,
true.....But when we had
a 4-5 pt lead late, he killed
us.
1. Drove baseline when it
wasn't there. He got stuck
and forced a God awful
diagonal 20 foot pass to
Hinson that was easily
picked off.
2. He soon after, got beat
off the dribble out front
and his man easily drove
for an easy layup.
3. If that wasn't enough.
when our lead was cut
to two, he threw an even
worse 3/4 court pass
into double coverage
that also was picked off.
All of this resulted in
pts. the other way.

He was supposed to be
our three pt. shooter?
Wake me up when either
he or Santos, for that
matter starts hitting 3's
Hitting em against Clarion
and Edinboro don't count.

Last edited:
Reactions: sonofabit and gary2
Other than Elliott’ VERY streaky shooting, he is awful. Not athletic enough for this level (looking at you also Cummings), does not play any defense, can’t put ball on floor to get to the rim, and no basketball sense at all as he doesn’t see the floor!
For the life of me, are we the only team that has 5th and 6th year seniors (Elliott, Burton, Cummings) who make the dumbest mistakes imaginable, particularly at the end of the game.
I say let’s roll with the twins, Hinson, Federico. Hugley, (when they get back) and maybe Sibande and see what happens.
We certainly can’t do any worse than this cluster!
Totally agree on Elliot.
I just posted above how
he personally killed
us at the end when we
had a slim lead and a little
momentum.

His defense is non existent.
He gets beat out front
continually off the dribble.
Burton and Cummings do
make the mistakes you
mentioned, but at least
they give us hustle and
some production. Elliott?
Nothing, Zero, Zilch.

Was gonna ask the board when anyone saw Elliott get in the way of an opponent’s pass this year but I think I have enough intel to kinda guess.

Was gonna ask the board when anyone saw Elliott get in the way of an opponent’s pass this year but I think I have enough intel to kinda guess.
The sad part is a healthy Sibande oils play the majority of minutes at that spot and Elliot oils come in for O. But, Sibande just doesn’t look right and who knows, he may not ooook right the rest of the year.
Calling Dior to man the PG spot—I know, unlikely!

Reactions: pittjas
Saw enough tonight to be convinced we should not have Hugley and 4 guards/wings as our primary lineup. Hugley plus the twins and 2 smaller guys could very well the best lineup we could put on the floor. Just my opinion. There would be synergy then.

Reactions: Gep Dawg
Good point!
I'll tell ya what else,
Despite everything
he did wrong the last
3 -5 minutes, he could
have been the hero. He
missed the front end of
a 1 and 1. He missed an
open three. He drove
the lane, beat his man
and missed an open
3 footer in the lane,
after/during these
miscues.Again, his
defense is non-existent.

The sad part is a healthy Sibande oils play the majority of minutes at that spot and Elliot oils come in for O. But, Sibande just doesn’t look right and who knows, he may not ooook right the rest of the year.
Calling Dior to man the PG spot—I know, unlikely!
True about Sibande.
Obviously something
is wrong there. Knee?

Saw enough tonight to be convinced we should not have Hugley and 4 guards/wings as our primary lineup. Hugley plus the twins and 2 smaller guys could very well the best lineup we could put on the floor. Just my opinion. There would be synergy then.

Since the first game of the season until now, the guards and point guard position have been by far the biggest problem on this team on both ends of the floor.

If Capel is fortunate enough to get another year and the only reason he may is because of the recruiting class he currently has, his first step of self reflection should be to start recruiting true point guards and stop playing silly games with combo guards / 2 guards who want to try to be point guards in a new system.

The combo guard experiment from X, Femi, Cummings, Mcgowens, etc. should be over by now. Get multiple true point guards/ leader on the team.

And 1 player next year that is a point guard in Jaland Lowe is not enough, because with our bad luck with team injuries something will happen to where he wont even get to play and then we get stuck with more combo guards that cant run the point guard position effectively.

Ive seen enough of Cummings to know he isnt a point guard at this level. An undersized 2 maybe he would be average at this level, but he certainly is not a point guard for an acc team.

Reactions: gary2
Since the first game of the season until now, the guards and point guard position have been by far the biggest problem on this team on both ends of the floor.

If Capel is fortunate enough to get another year and the only reason he may is because of the recruiting class he currently has, his first step of self reflection should be to start recruiting true point guards and stop playing silly games with combo guards / 2 guards who want to try to be point guards in a new system.

The combo guard experiment from X, Femi, Cummings, Mcgowens, etc. should be over by now. Get multiple true point guards/ leader on the team.

And 1 player next year that is a point guard in Jaland Lowe is not enough, because with our bad luck with team injuries something will happen to where he wont even get to play and then we get stuck with more combo guards that cant run the point guard position effectively.

Ive seen enough of Cummings to know he isnt a point guard at this level. An undersized 2 maybe he would be average at this level, but he certainly is not a point guard for an acc team.
If we are all fortunate enough, then Capel won’t get another year.

Good point!
I'll tell ya what else,
Despite everything
he did wrong the last
3 -5 minutes, he could
have been the hero. He
missed the front end of
a 1 and 1. He missed an
open three. He drove
the lane, beat his man
and missed an open
3 footer in the lane,
after/during these
miscues.Again, his
defense is non-existent.
Yeah I said this on the pay board. This was a nightmare game for Elliott. If he just had a bad game, we probably win. But it was worse than bad.

He will have better days.

Reactions: gary2
Capel is bringing nothing to the table to keep him another day at Pitt. Forget the recruits. They're not in Pitt uniforms and not playing for Pitt yet, so they don't exist. He lacks any small hint of coaching ability, he doesn't prepare his teams for game situations, and he can't coach in gametime situations at all. Why is he here?

I can’t imagine anyone needing to be “coached” to not throw that ridiculously awful inbounds pass that basically cost us the game? Who needs to be told to not do that? How is protecting the ball better not… instinct when you have a lead?

Just for the record and not that it matters--since final was 67-71 we weren't out scored 13-0. Wasn't 13-0, it was 13-7 from 60-58 to final score.
Okay
From our 4 point lead with 2:22 to play until VCU built their 5 point lead to control the game we were put scored 13-3 in less than 2 minutes of game time

I mean it was another utter collapse

Okay
From our 4 point lead with 2:22 to play until VCU built their 5 point lead to control the game we were put scored 13-3 in less than 2 minutes of game time

I mean it was another utter collapse
With the way the game was being called, working the ball would have resulted in foul shots.

Hinson is currently our best option. The ball should have been going to him. Hopefully he would have done something with it other than shoot threes.

I don't think they had anyone good enough to handle Hinson.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT