ADVERTISEMENT

About the NC loss

pittbb80

Chancellor
Oct 9, 2004
no doubt that loss still looks really bad but here’s a couple of things overlooked

First off Pitt had a tough game against a GT team that is difficult to prepare for. Going from a GT to an NC team isn’t an easy transition. And they also had the UCF game the next week

IUNC has tell weeks to prepare

And finally the team still hadn’t gelled yet. This is not the same team that played UNC. If they played again I have no doubt Pitt would win handily

I mostly agree. we would be favorites in a rematch clearly. but UNC is the sort of offense we've struggled against for years as well.

Reactions: FireballZ
no doubt that loss still looks really bad but here’s a couple of things overlooked

First off Pitt had a tough game against a GT team that is difficult to prepare for. Going from a GT to an NC team isn’t an easy transition. And they also had the UCF game the next week

And finally the team still hadn’t gelled yet. This is not the same team that played UNC. If they played again I have no doubt Pitt would win handily

That and we cant stop the Spread Tempo teams. We did a good job vs Syracuse but besides that, we've never really stopped it and guess who we play Saturday?

Pitt was still holding to the convention that they needed to be "balanced" on offense. Hall and Ollison combined for only 18 carries that game. Other than Albany, where Davis was sharing time, the only game they got that few touches was UCF.

I agree with what you’re saying about being a better team now, however you can’t lose to a UNC team that lost earlier in the year to East Carolina. Other teams have scheduling trap games that they have to overcome.

Having said that, I am pleased how well Pitt has played recently, especially the last two games. Hopefully we can keep it going and win the division.

Teams typically struggle the week after playing GT. I’ve seen a stat on it, but I am too lazy too look it up.

Reactions: DruidTM
Pitt was still holding to the convention that they needed to be "balanced" on offense. Hall and Ollison combined for only 18 carries that game. Other than Albany, where Davis was sharing time, the only game they got that few touches was UCF.

To be specific, pickett threw 38 passes, completed only 57%, and threw for 174 yards in the UNC game.

Teams typically struggle the week after playing GT. I’ve seen a stat on it, but I am too lazy too look it up.
I remember that stat ... teams who beat Navy or GT (let’s be honest it’s the same team) usually and I cannot remember the percentage lose the following week.... I do remember a stat on that but don’t remember the actual percentage other than they lose more often than not.

People can play the "what if" game all day. The point is there is no guarantee that if we won the UNC game we would not have lost a game along the way. You can just as easily say that if we won the UNC game we could have easily lost the Syracuse game.

I'll tell you this, I still wouldn't bet Pitt -7 versus UNC if we played tomorrow. I need to see us be able to defend their spread once or twice successfully before I become a true believer that we've made any serious defensive philosophy changes.

I’ve said it a hundred times... if a Hugh Green/ Dan Marino led squad and a Tony Dorsett / Matt Cavanaugh led squad couldn’t beat UNC in Chapel Hill no Pitt squad will.

Just forget it. It will never happen.

I’ve said it a hundred times... if a Hugh Green/ Dan Marino led squad and a Tony Dorsett / Matt Cavanaugh led squad couldn’t beat UNC in Chapel Hill no Pitt squad will.

Haha. 2020 isn't far off.

Pitt beat them in Charlotte in front of many Blue seats. That has to count for something.

if-ifs-and-buts-were-candy-and-nuts-wed-all-have-a-merry-christmas.jpg

Reactions: Springfield Panther

Only thing of some merit in your post is the last paragraph-we hadn’t gelled yet or in other words we’ve improved a good bit as a team since then. That’s definitely a positive.

Everything else you say before that are excuses for losers. At that point in the season, a good coach and a good team overcomes those challenges.

For a combined 184 yards & 2 TDs with an 8.666666666666667 average per carry. Kenny ran 13 times for 37 yards. Too many for him & not enough for Hall & Ollison.

To be fair, that was either Billy Daniels or Bob Medwid at QB in that 1974 game. It wasn't until 1975 when Cavanaugh saw action, and even then, I think, Robert Haygood was still The Man.

I’m not sure what took OCSW so long to figure out this offense.

Any schlep with any football knowledge knew the bread and butter was the running game after watching the first half of the State Penn game.

Reactions: FreeportPanther

Sorry, you can't lose that one. Pitt has gotten better but they were better than UNC when they played.

is it coincidence that the only 2 victories in the past 40 years against UNC were when Pitt was coached by a Pitt man?

It's like playing with house money....bet heavily on UNC next year.

The way the NC, Duke, and Cuse games progressed was similar. We fortunately executed when critical and won out at the end of the latter 2. Maybe being at home and conditions were the differences. There's no 'curse' over us for UNC. Unless bad defense can be considered a curse.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT