ADVERTISEMENT

ACC Baseball Tournament Thread

I have not see the game on Comcast, but the game is on WatchESPN on the ACCN Extra channel.

Just to update: Top of the 5th, UNC at bat. Man on 1st and 2nd, no outs. Still 3-3.

I lost the game on directv and watchespn. Has anybody else?

Damn this team has heart, Maldonado literally gave 110% and then some. Derek West with about as remarkable of a relief outing as you'll ever see. On to the ACC semifinals!

Reactions: We_All_We_Got
I watched it. I saw it. I’m still not sure I believe it. Pitt went to little used reliever Derek West as the third pitcher early and he shut down UNC the rest of the way.

In the bottom of the 7th, down 4-3, Pitt tied it up and then took the lead on a suicide squeeze. With a 5-4 lead, West set UNC down 1-2-3 in the 8th. As the announcer said, West wasn’t throwing to spots, he was throwing THROUGH spots. He got the lead off hitter in the 9th, then SS David Yanni made an error on a routine ground ball and you start wondering. A 6-3 FC got the tying run to 2nd with two outs. Then UNC’s Cleanup hitter hit a deep but playable fly to Maldonado in CF to end the game.

Pitt wins Pool A and now is in semifinals on Saturday.

The difference was defense. They showed replays of 4 great defensive plays by Pitt and then miscues by the 4 UNC players on similar plays. Perry had 2 great catches in RF; Maldonado made a great catch bouncing off the wall with 2 outs and the bases loaded. If he doesn’t catch it, it probably is an inside the ballpark HR.

I watched it. I saw it. I’m still not sure I believe it. Pitt went to little used reliever Derek West as the third pitcher early and he shut down UNC the rest of the way.

In the bottom of the 7th, down 4-3, Pitt tied it up and then took the lead on a suicide squeeze. With a 5-4 lead, West set UNC down 1-2-3 in the 8th. As the announcer said, West wasn’t throwing to spots, he was throwing THROUGH spots. He got the lead off hitter in the 9th, then SS David Yanni made an error on a routine ground ball and you start wondering. A 6-3 FC got the tying run to 2nd with two outs. Then UNC’s Cleanup hitter hit a deep but playable fly to Maldonado in CF to end the game.

Pitt wins Pool A and now is in semifinals on Saturday.

The difference was defense. They showed replays of 4 great defensive plays by Pitt and then miscues by the 4 UNC players on similar plays. Perry had 2 great catches in RF; Maldonado made a great catch bouncing off the wall with 2 outs and the bases loaded. If he doesn’t catch it, it probably is an inside the ballpark HR.

West isn’t a little used reliever, he's Pitt's number 4 starter. He started 9 games this year, 4th most on the team, including 2 starts in ACC games. Coincidentally, one of his ACC starts was against North Carolina, when both he and Pitt were pummeled.

Here are the highlights. I watched the game. PITT's defense, particularly in the outfield, was extraordinary. West pitched lights out. Wait to you see the suicide squeeze play...wow! H2P!

That bunt was one of the most impossible but necessary bunts ever. Incredible defensive plays.

Reactions: HOF Coach
Pirates are on at 4 on Saturday, Pitt is at 1 so att sports net should be showing the pitt game.

The Pirates might be a Fox National Game and not on AT&T sports based on that start time.

Could be wrong though.

I watched the replay of the game late last night, and toward the end of the game I was squirming in my chair - even though I knew the outcome ahead of time.

The squeeze bunt that went Pitt’s way was one of the few genuine breaks that a Pitt sports team has gotten lately. Usually we’d expect the runner from third to collide with the batter at the plate - then get tagged out before he could score.

Reactions: TJFAIRLIE
Fox has a national window at 7, which is why the Pirates game starts at 4.

Interesting... I didn't realize that. I looked at the schedule just now and they have a ton of 4:05 games on Saturdays.

Did that just change this year? I thought the Fox national game was always afternoon on Saturdays in past years.

ADVERTISEMENT