ADVERTISEMENT

ACC/Big 10 challenge picks

Bethlehemjohn

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Jul 6, 2001
We did this a few years ago, but didn’t do it last year. Pick the game straight up and vs the spread.

Tonight’s games:

Minnesota at Virginia Tech, VT -12.5
Pitt at Northwestern, NW -7.5

We did this a few years ago, but didn’t do it last year. Pick the game straight up and vs the spread.

Tonight’s games:

Minnesota at Virginia Tech, VT -12.5
Pitt at Northwestern, NW -7.5
I’ll go first:

VT straight up and VT -12.5
Pitt straight up and Pitt +7.5

By the authority deemed by me. I herefor declare the final ACC/B1G Challenge over and all remaining votes, (clears throat).... games are fraudulent games so we are stopping the counting. ACC wins the challenge.

You can all go home now. It's over.

Dickinson pushed and then elbowed a dude and that dude with a bloody mouth fouled out on that play

You got Pikiell but I dont remember yoi saying anything about Forbes until after the fact. What did you think of Payne and Mike Young?
Payne was a huge miss. They should’ve spent every dollar they had. It’s Louisville basketball, a top 8ish job. To hire a guy whose never been head coach because he played there is asinine. We are not close to their level of prestige, interest, resources etc and 90 percent of the fan base would revolt if BK got the head job because it would be a mistake.

No one thought Mike Young would do as well as he would early but he’s been about average since. Any job that you hire someone like a VT, Pitt, Rutgers… you have to hire a COACH. The recruiter label isn’t gonna work. Mike Rice was an excellent hire by Rutgers until he went off the rails because he could COACH. Mark Schmidt who would’ve been hated by the fan base simply because he’s a boring old white guy would have had Pitt in the tourney 1/2 years he would’ve been here. We need a boring COACH. No slogans, no flashy videos. Just coaching

Reactions: Drew1208
Ya think? This despite a
certain poster telling us
how much easier the ACC
schedule is going to be
for Pitt.
Yeah, tonight’s the big night though. Nobody’s gonna care about the ACC winning the downstream games if the B1G sweeps the ranked on ranked matchups.

Reactions: cabe23 and Drew1208
The one everyone whiffed on and it scares me to death is Keatts. If who is rumored to want that job wants it based on the power vacuum on Tobacco Road they could be the best team in the ACC next year if they move on Keatts

Payne was a huge miss. They should’ve spent every dollar they had. It’s Louisville basketball, a top 8ish job. To hire a guy whose never been head coach because he played there is asinine. We are not close to their level of prestige, interest, resources etc and 90 percent of the fan base would revolt if BK got the head job because it would be a mistake.

No one thought Mike Young would do as well as he would early but he’s been about average since. Any job that you hire someone like a VT, Pitt, Rutgers… you have to hire a COACH. The recruiter label isn’t gonna work. Mike Rice was an excellent hire by Rutgers until he went off the rails because he could COACH. Mark Schmidt who would’ve been hated by the fan base simply because he’s a boring old white guy would have had Pitt in the tourney 1/2 years he would’ve been here. We need a boring COACH. No slogans, no flashy videos. Just coaching

Especially right now with players transferring every year, you definitely have to hire the best X and O coach/tactician. But pinpointing that guy is hard.

You joke about a search firm but what do these firms actually do? Let me give you an example. When Duquesne was in the process of hiring Jim Ferry, I posted on their message board it was a bad hire because his success was mostly due to 2 non-recruited Texas HS teammates that he hit the Powerball with. It was extreme luck. He had no ties in NYC. It wasnt like he assembled a NY Catholic League all-star team. He got really lucky with 2 Texas kids who had no D1 offers. Do search firms look at the reasons for success? You know how I say to stay away from the Vermont and Murray State coaches (best job in their league). Do search firms take that into account?

The one everyone whiffed on and it scares me to death is Keatts. If who is rumored to want that job wants it based on the power vacuum on Tobacco Road they could be the best team in the ACC next year if they move on Keatts

I am guessing Ryan Odom. Also it wouldn't take much to rise to the top of the ACC. 1 good hire and you can be #4 behind UNC, Duke, and UVa in Year 1

Especially right now with players transferring every year, you definitely have to hire the best X and O coach/tactician. But pinpointing that guy is hard.

You joke about a search firm but what do these firms actually do? Let me give you an example. When Duquesne was in the process of hiring Jim Ferry, I posted on their message board it was a bad hire because his success was mostly due to 2 non-recruited Texas HS teammates that he hit the Powerball with. It was extreme luck. He had no ties in NYC. It wasnt like he assembled a NY Catholic League all-star team. He got really lucky with 2 Texas kids who had no D1 offers. Do search firms look at the reasons for success? You know how I say to stay away from the Vermont and Murray State coaches (best job in their league). Do search firms take that into account?
I think you know what search firms do. They take care of their buddies

Rick Pitino. Please tell SMF. He would LOSE IT

Yea that's what I'm thinking. BTW, Houston has to be so embarrassed about hiring Kelvin Sampson. They went to the Elite 8 last year and are ranked #1 right now but its not worth the stain on their institutional reputation, right? Houston grads now cannot get jobs. Academic foundations have cut grant funding. Chik Fil A pulled out. The Sampson hire has been a disaster. What an awful person he has proven to be. Houston will never recover. The same can be said for Auburn.

Yea that's what I'm thinking. BTW, Houston has to be so embarrassed about hiring Kelvin Sampson. They went to the Elite 8 last year and are ranked #1 right now but its not worth the stain on their institutional reputation, right? Houston grads now cannot get jobs. Academic foundations have cut grant funding. Chik Fil A pulled out. The Sampson hire has been a disaster. What an awful person he has proven to be. Houston will never recover. The same can be said for Auburn.
Really not sure what you want Pitt or Lyke to do? Pitt isn’t close to as good as either of those jobs. And she went out and made an offer of more money to a guy who will probably win a national title in the next 5 years but because it’s UConn and he can win there, went there.

The resources, while better than when Capel took over, just aren’t there.

Now here’s where SMF argument will go:

1) hire someone like BK on the cheap and spend the rest on NIL and buying players (obviously illegal)

2) spend 12 million on some Coach who won’t have people buying him players here

I just saved you the time

Reactions: cabe23
Really not sure what you want Pitt or Lyke to do? Pitt isn’t close to as good as either of those jobs. And she went out and made an offer of more money to a guy who will probably win a national title in the next 5 years but because it’s UConn and he can win there, went there.

The resources, while better than when Capel took over, just aren’t there.

Now here’s where SMF argument will go:

1) hire someone like BK on the cheap and spend the rest on NIL and buying players (obviously illegal)

2) spend 12 million on some Coach who won’t have people buying him players here

I just saved you the time
Then give it more resources. It feels to an outsider like we’re finally pretty close to being at a competitive resource level to the rest of the conference and other schools in the region. It’s been a long road, but we’ve caught up, or come close. Nothing should be precluding us from investing more resources to take the next step up.

Reactions: cabe23
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT