Gator: NC State or UNC if UNC loses to Wake
Pinstripe: Syracuse
Charlotte: Wake or NC State
Sun: Louisville
Fenway: Pitt
Birmingham: Wake or NC State
Military: Duke
Gasparilla: Miami

It was nice to win the ACC, but it would have been nicer to win it in a year when the Orange doesnt host the CFP. UNC could luck out and go to the OB for the 2nd time in a few years without even winning the ACC.

CFP: Clemson
Orange: UNC/Wake winner
Orlando: FSU
Holiday: ND

It was nice to win the ACC, but it would have been nicer to win it in a year when the Orange doesnt host the CFP. UNC could luck out and go to the OB for the 2nd time in a few years without even winning the ACC.
FSU will be lucky to get to 6-6.

If Pitt isn't in the top 3 or 4 ACC bowls, I'd rather they get the Gasparilla bowl. At least it's a good travel destination for Dec.
Then again, a Dec. 23 bowl game, with associated travel, isn't ideal either. Never mind....Playoff, Orange or CheezIt, or Gator when the ACC is eligible.

If Pitt isn't in the top 3 or 4 ACC bowls, I'd rather they get the Gasparilla bowl. At least it's a good travel destination for Dec.
Then again, a Dec. 23 bowl game, with associated travel, isn't ideal either. Never mind....Playoff, Orange or CheezIt, or Gator when the ACC is eligible.
As a player, yea, I'd way prefer Tampa. But as a fan, no way Im going to the Gasparilla Bowl to watch a 6-6 team. Maybe, maybe if they went 8-4 or 9-3 and were screwed into that bowl but no way at 6-6

As a player, yea, I'd way prefer Tampa. But as a fan, no way Im going to the Gasparilla Bowl to watch a 6-6 team. Maybe, maybe if they went 8-4 or 9-3 and were screwed into that bowl but no way at 6-6
I'd definitely go (if it wasn't so close to Christmas) even if they were 6-6.
Get to watch one more game of Pitt football in a much warmer climate than PA.
And can take a few days to enjoy a mini-vacation. I'd like that better than any of those other destinations.

I'd definitely go (if it wasn't so close to Christmas) even if they were 6-6.
Get to watch one more game of Pitt football in a much warmer climate than PA.
And can take a few days to enjoy a mini-vacation. I'd like that better than any of those other destinations.
That's an expensive trip to see a bad team play in an exhibition game though

Reactions: Team_Pitt_Fan
CFP: Clemson
Orange: UNC/Wake winner

Who cares, as you argued vehemently last year, all bowl games other than the CFP are meaningless exhibitions, and even if we went to the Orange Bowl anyone with an NFL future should opt out, so why do you care now?

Who cares, as you argued vehemently last year, all bowl games other than the CFP are meaningless exhibitions, and even if we went to the Orange Bowl anyone with an NFL future should opt out, so why do you care now?
Yes, all exhibition games. But the better ones are fun and have a bit of meaning. Like the FA Community Shield in English Football. Its cool to win. You get a trophy. But it doesn't really "count" as its not part of the season

Is the Pope Catholic? Does a one-legged duck paddle in circles?
Right….but I still want to see the Panthers play. I don’t care if you call it an exhibition game, a practice game or a bowl game.

Taking the exhibition game logic a step further, why bother watching/going to any regular season game after the team is out of contention for the conference championship?

Speaking just for myself, I’ll watch/go to any game the Panthers are playing.

Reactions: Celtsfan
1. College Football Playoff Semifinal: If Selected

Capital One Orange Bowl
Highest-ranked available ACC team, if it’s not the ACC Champion.

First Tier

Cheez-It Bowl vs Big 12
Duke’s Mayo Bowl vs Big Ten
Fenway Bowl vs American Athletic
Military Bowl Presented by Peraton vs American Athletic
New Era Pinstripe Bowl vs Big Ten
ReliaQuest Bowl vs SEC (or Big Ten)
San Diego County Credit Union Holiday Bowl vs Pac-12
TaxSlayer Gator Bowl vs SEC
Tony the Tiger Sun Bowl vs Pac-12

Second Tier

Union Home Mortgage Gasparilla Bowl vs AAC, Pac-12 or SEC
TicketSmarter Birmingham Bowl vs SEC or AAC
SERVPRO First Responder Bowl vs SEC or AAC or Pac-12

I'd like to think we stay in tier 1 but you never know at this point

Updating:

Orange: Clemson
Gator: UNC
Charlotte: NC State

These seem pretty set to me. The question becomes what does the Pinstripe do? Do they take a Syracuse team that might have lost 5 out of 6 and maybe fired their coach? Will their fans buy tickets? Louisville has never been there. What if Pitt is 8-4? What if Miami is available? I think Pitt loses to Miami so assuming that:

Sun: Wake
Pinstripe: Louisville
Fenway: Syracuse
Military: Pitt
Birmingham: Duke

Updating:

These seem pretty set to me. The question becomes what does the Pinstripe do? Do they take a Syracuse team that might have lost 5 out of 6 and maybe fired their coach? Will their fans buy tickets? Louisville has never been there. What if Pitt is 8-4? What if Miami is available? I think Pitt loses to Miami so assuming that:

8-4 Pitt I think would be the Pinstripe.

Updating:

Still a very real chance imo that Clemson makes the CFP. With TN loss they are 8 after this week at the worst.

They win ACC
LSU loses to GA in SEC title game
OSU/Michigan loser drops below them
They pass a 2 loss Bama

Even if usc wins the PAC 12 that’s a coin toss for the 4th spot. And not to mention possible TCU loss in BIG 12 title.

Not sure that affects Pitt’s bowl or not but it could.

I think Syracuse fans have jumped the ship again.

Maybe. But, bottom line, would they buy more tickets than Pitt? Syracuse has far more fans within 1-2 hour drive. This is what it comes down to and why bowl games are so stupid. I cant see Pitt fans traveling like we have in recent years.

Chances of a warm weather bowl?
Hope for a win against miami and Clemson
in the CFP.

Still a very real chance imo that Clemson makes the CFP. With TN loss they are 8 after this week at the worst. No way. Clemson does not have a quality win, and they were thumped by 21 against Notre Dame. Not gonna happen.

They win ACC
LSU loses to GA in SEC title game
OSU/Michigan loser drops below them
They pass a 2 loss Bama

Even if usc wins the PAC 12 that’s a coin toss for the 4th spot. And not to mention possible TCU loss in BIG 12 title.

Not sure that affects Pitt’s bowl or not but it could.

Remember the weird selection rules. A 7 win duke team could trump a 8 win Pitt team in bowl selection . Best we can hope for is sun bowl or my favorite the military industrial complex bowl

Remember the weird selection rules. A 7 win duke team could trump a 8 win Pitt team in bowl selection . Best we can hope for is sun bowl or my favorite the military industrial complex bowl
Besides the Mayonnaise Bowl in Charlotte, what bowl would take a 7 win Duke team over any 8 win ACC team? It's not like the bandwagon Duke basketball fans in New York/New Jersey will go watch the Duke football team play in a cold ass baseball stadium.

Besides the Mayonnaise Bowl in Charlotte, what bowl would take a 7 win Duke team over any 8 win ACC team? It's not like the bandwagon Duke basketball fans in New York/New Jersey will go watch the Duke football team play in a cold ass baseball stadium.
You seem unfamiliar with the “Atlantic Coast” portion of our conference name (and heritage).

If you've ever been to a game at Duke, you'd have to wonder why the Mayonnaise bowl would take them.

You seem unfamiliar with the “Atlantic Coast” portion of our conference name (and heritage).
The Military Bowl in Annapolis and the Pinstripe Bowl in the Bronx don't care that Duke has been in the All Confederate Conference since the start, Pitt will bring more fans to those game than Duke will, that's what the decision will be based on.

Local sports people were saying that Heather was talking with Sun Bowl reps at the Duke game. Could be completely meaningless, though.

I'm hoping for the Military Bowl just for something to do. I'm not driving any farther than that to watch a stupid bowl game.

One thing about Duke that is a minus...Saturday's game had to have the fewest opposing team's fans attend that I've ever seen. I'm not sure I saw more that 25 Duke people in the visiting team's section in the seats near the corner of the end zone. I've been to the last two Pitt at Duke games and the attendance at their stadium is pretty pathetic so I guess I wasn't too surprised especially given the cold weather.

I'd really like a warm weather bowl.

ADVERTISEMENT