ADVERTISEMENT

ACC bowls

One thing about Duke that is a minus...Saturday's game had to have the fewest opposing team's fans attend that I've ever seen. I'm not sure I saw more that 25 Duke people in the visiting team's section in the seats near the corner of the end zone. I've been to the last two Pitt at Duke games and the attendance at their stadium is pretty pathetic so I guess I wasn't too surprised especially given the cold weather.

I'd really like a warm weather bowl.
Yeah we were laughing at the game after the Hill fumble return for the TD when he was shushing the Duke “crowd” afterward. It was like whistling past the grave yard…

The Military Bowl in Annapolis and the Pinstripe Bowl in the Bronx don't care that Duke has been in the All Confederate Conference since the start, Pitt will bring more fans to those game than Duke will, that's what the decision will be based on.
First of all, I don’t see us bringing many attendees to any bowl this year. Many were tapped out going to the two post season games last season, plus the enormous disappointment of this one.

Second, out tremendously boring offense isn’t going to have any game clamoring to have us. They are going to be jockeying for the more entertaining teams (aka, anyone but us) that would attract more neutral attendees.

Third , while i don’t think Duke particularly brings anything much better than us in the above departments, this relatively even state as far as attendance, and their favored style over us (because anyone but us is more interesting offensively) by the different bowls, would allow their their blue blood status in the conference to kick in and see them getting chosen for the better game.

Not that any of them are particularly worthy to care about, honestly.

First of all, I don’t see us bringing many attendees to any bowl this year. Many were tapped out going to the two post season games last season, plus the enormous disappointment of this one.

Second, out tremendously boring offense isn’t going to have any game clamoring to have us. They are going to be jockeying for the more entertaining teams (aka, anyone but us) that would attract more neutral attendees.

Third , while i don’t think Duke particularly brings anything much better than us in the above departments, this relatively even state as far as attendance, and their favored style over us (because anyone but us is more interesting offensively) by the different bowls, would allow their their blue blood status in the conference to kick in and see them getting chosen for the better game.

Not that any of them are particularly worthy to care about, honestly.

No ACC bowl is picking Pitt while they have another choice.

I can see the Sun Bowl....because El Paso doesn't really rely too much on the schools selling tickets. It's usually a disappointed ACC fan base vs a disappointed Pac 12 fan base, neither of which are in any driving distance.

Reactions: Chairman Moe
Updating:

Orange: Clemson
Orlando: FSU
Holiday: ND
Gator: UNC
Charlotte: NC State

These seem pretty set to me. The question becomes what does the Pinstripe do? Do they take a Syracuse team that might have lost 5 out of 6 and maybe fired their coach? Will their fans buy tickets? Louisville has never been there. What if Pitt is 8-4? What if Miami is available? I think Pitt loses to Miami so assuming that:

Sun: Wake
Pinstripe: Louisville
Fenway: Syracuse
Military: Pitt
Birmingham: Duke
Gasparilla: Miami

Updating:

Orange, SD, Orl, Jax, and Cha seem set in terms it will be some variation of Clemson, ND, FSU, UNC, and NC State

I think the big question is what do the Yankees do? Who makes them the most money (ie ticket sales)? I would guess with Syracuse's win today, the Yankees take them unless maybe if Babers is fired, they may not want to take a program in transition.

Sun takes Louisville. They've never been there as far as I can tell. In my brief Sun Bowl research, I found it interesting that in 1945, they took a Mexican university, UNAM, whose soccer team "Pumas" spun off into a pro team and are one of the top Liga MX franchises. But that kind of goes to show you how a college team can "go pro" and remain affiliated with the university.

Does the Military Bowl take Pitt, Duke, or Wake? Duke has never been there. Pitt was there in 2015, Wake in 2016. I think they take Pitt because they sell more tickets.

So, a chance at the Pinstripe. Military likely. If for some reason the Military Bowl opts for 8-4 Duke, then its probably Birmingham if we cant go to Fenway due to Finals Week.

Updating:

Orange, SD, Orl, Jax, and Cha seem set in terms it will be some variation of Clemson, ND, FSU, UNC, and NC State

I think the big question is what do the Yankees do? Who makes them the most money (ie ticket sales)? I would guess with Syracuse's win today, the Yankees take them unless maybe if Babers is fired, they may not want to take a program in transition.

Sun takes Louisville. They've never been there as far as I can tell. In my brief Sun Bowl research, I found it interesting that in 1945, they took a Mexican university, UNAM, whose soccer team "Pumas" spun off into a pro team and are one of the top Liga MX franchises. But that kind of goes to show you how a college team can "go pro" and remain affiliated with the university.

Does the Military Bowl take Pitt, Duke, or Wake? Duke has never been there. Pitt was there in 2015, Wake in 2016. I think they take Pitt because they sell more tickets.
Will this be as accurate as your Miami Win Guarantee?

Will this be as accurate as your Miami Win Guarantee?

Probably. Bowl game predicting is a shit show. That Joe Giglio guy is the only one who gets it mostly right. The top 5 bowls seem set though. And I'm saying there's like a 0% chance at the Sun Bowl. I mean it makes no logical sense as to why they'd take us since there's only been 2 games played and 1 ACC team there since we last were there. And yet, watch them take us.

Probably. Bowl game predicting is a shit show. That Joe Giglio guy is the only one who gets it mostly right. The top 5 bowls seem set though. And I'm saying there's like a 0% chance at the Sun Bowl. I mean it makes no logical sense as to why they'd take us since there's only been 2 games played and 1 ACC team there since we last were there. And yet, watch them take us.
Sun Bowl it is.

Cheez It: UNC
Gator: Notre Dame
Mayo: FSU
Holiday: Pitt
Pinstripe: Duke
Military: NCSU
Gasparilla: Louisville

I would switch Notre Dame to Holiday, FSU to Gator, and NCSU to Mayo. We're likely Pinstripe or Military bound.

Interesting, ACC doesn't have any 6-6 teams this year.

I would switch Notre Dame to Holiday, FSU to Gator, and NCSU to Mayo. We're likely Pinstripe or Military bound.

Interesting, ACC doesn't have any 6-6 teams this year.
Gator gets to "choose" before the Holiday. Gator will choose Notre Dame.

Gator gets to "choose" before the Holiday. Gator will choose Notre Dame.

No they don't. Each team sends the ACC their wish list. Each bowl sends the ACC their wish list and then they match them from there. ND, FSU, UNC, and NC State will be higher on the wish lists of SD, Orl, Jax, and Cha

No they don't. Each team sends the ACC their wish list. Each bowl sends the ACC their wish list and then they match them from there. ND, FSU, UNC, and NC State will be higher on the wish lists of SD, Orl, Jax, and Cha
The Holiday Bowl won’t be on FSU’s, UNC’s, or NC State’s wish lists, they’ll want to stay in the southeast, preferably Florida. With that said the Holiday will want ND and they’ll have no problem playing in San Diego.

Reactions: TerryD44
The Holiday Bowl won’t be on FSU’s, UNC’s, or NC State’s wish lists, they’ll want to stay in the southeast, preferably Florida. With that said the Holiday will want ND and they’ll have no problem playing in San Diego.

FSU/UNC/NC St wish list

1. Orlando
2. Jax
3. Charlotte
4. SD

Agree or disagree?

Will NC St getting screwed over with last years game being cancelled affect whether they would be going back to the Holiday Bowl or not?

Their program already did the whole bowl experience out there so they'd rather do something different

If Pitt gets jobbed by the Military and Pinstripe Bowls, can they decline the Birmingham and accept an at large spot in Florida or CA?

If Pitt gets jobbed by the Military and Pinstripe Bowls, can they decline the Birmingham and accept an at large spot in Florida or CA?

In a word, no.

However if Pitt would express that they really don't like that game and don't want to go there then the answer would change. Then it would be hell no.

I mean other than conferences not being able to fill all their spots, what at large spots do you think are available?

Id sell my mom for the Holiday bowl, love going to San Diego and have a air bnb i own in Pacific Beach.

Hope this has legs to it. I would love that, anything in the south next choice. Pitt traveled great last year, one of the better traveled schools per enrollment. I was absolutely floored when I went to Atlanta and saw the amount of Pitt fans there, as well as Charlotte. It was fantastic. I think we made the transition to a team that travels well. I know I will go to any game anywhere, although i would really have to think about NY or Boston, may have to pass on those 2.

Reactions: Atlanta Panther
In a word, no.

However if Pitt would express that they really don't like that game and don't want to go there then the answer would change. Then it would be hell no.

I mean other than conferences not being able to fill all their spots, what at large spots do you think are available?

I don't know, but I assume that some conferences could end up not using all their bowl spots, perhaps because there aren't enough eligible teams because they have multiple teams in the playoffs or NY6 bowl games, or they just don't have enough teams with winning records.

Does the Birmingham Bowl select before other ACC Bowls like the Gasparilla and and First Responders? If so, can Pitt just decline if, say, the First Responders Bowl in Dallas of Gasparilla Bowl in Tampa would like Pitt?

I don't know, but I assume that some conferences could end up not using all their bowl spots, perhaps because there aren't enough eligible teams because they have multiple teams in the playoffs or NY6 bowl games, or they just don't have enough teams with winning records.

Does the Birmingham Bowl select before other ACC Bowls like the Gasparilla and and First Responders? If so, can Pitt just decline if, say, the First Responders Bowl in Dallas of Gasparilla Bowl in Tampa would like Pitt?

The schools tell the conference which order they'd prefer the games, and the games tell the conference in which order they'd like the schools. And then the conference works to try to make as many of them happy as possible.

Reactions: Atlanta Panther
Id sell my mom for the Holiday bowl, love going to San Diego and have a air bnb i own in Pacific Beach.

Hope this has legs to it. I would love that, anything in the south next choice. Pitt traveled great last year, one of the better traveled schools per enrollment. I was absolutely floored when I went to Atlanta and saw the amount of Pitt fans there, as well as Charlotte. It was fantastic. I think we made the transition to a team that travels well. I know I will go to any game anywhere, although i would really have to think about NY or Boston, may have to pass on those 2.

I'd consider going to the Holiday Bowl because of the location but I just dont see it. If I'm the Holiday Bowl, this is my wish list:

1. ND
2. FSU
3. UNC
4. NC State
5. Pitt or Louisville

Now lets say ND decides to go to Orlando or Jacksonville. Also, lets say that under no circumstance does NC State want to go back to SD since they were there last year and then it got canceled. FSU would go to Orlando or Jax. NC State to Charlotte. UNC to SD. I guess I suppose that perhaps the Holiday would prefer 8-4 Pitt having won its last 4 than UNC having lost its last 3 but so many other things have to happen, the biggest being ND turning them down

I'd consider going to the Holiday Bowl because of the location but I just dont see it. If I'm the Holiday Bowl, this is my wish list:

1. ND
2. FSU
3. UNC
4. NC State
5. Pitt or Louisville

Now lets say ND decides to go to Orlando or Jacksonville. Also, lets say that under no circumstance does NC State want to go back to SD since they were there last year and then it got canceled. FSU would go to Orlando or Jax. NC State to Charlotte. UNC to SD. I guess I suppose that perhaps the Holiday would prefer 8-4 Pitt having won its last 4 than UNC having lost its last 3 but so many other things have to happen, the biggest being ND turning them down

Pitt goes over NCSt

The ACC Bowls are split into groups. The first group of three games, Gator, Cheez-It and Holiday get teams 2-4 (team 1 is in the Orange Bowl). They are going to get Notre Dame, Florida State and North Carolina. We aren't going to one of those three.

Teams 5-7 are in the next group, and we are probably going to be in that group. The three games for those teams are Pinstripe, Sun and Mayo. We are going to get one of those three unless we are amenable to a trade elsewhere.

The Military and Fenway games come after that, as well as a spot in the Rufus Xavier Gasparilla Bowl for the 9th ACC team.

The thing about Team 5-7 is I don't think they go strictly by record. It could be Pitt/duke/NC State based on performance. But Louisville may slip in there and then does Pitt get dropped down? If so, Pitt would likely get Military. Cuse and Wake are bottom of the list this year I think. Pitt is Pinstripe or Military.

The thing about Team 5-7 is I don't think they go strictly by record. It could be Pitt/duke/NC State based on performance. But Louisville may slip in there and then does Pitt get dropped down? If so, Pitt would likely get Military. Cuse and Wake are bottom of the list this year I think. Pitt is Pinstripe or Military.

They don't. They go by what the schools and the games want. But they are not going to drop Pitt down to the Gasparilla Bowl unless Pitt is OK with being dropped down to the Gasparilla Bowl.

Pitt goes over NCSt

I could definitely see NC State not wanting the Holiday Bowl but give me a scenario where Pitt gets it. Its just too far-fetched. ND and FSU would have to turn it down. NC State probably would. Then they have to decide between UNC, Pitt, Duke, and Louisville and I think UNC is the biggest draw out of that group.

The ACC Bowls are split into groups. The first group of three games, Gator, Cheez-It and Holiday get teams 2-4 (team 1 is in the Orange Bowl). They are going to get Notre Dame, Florida State and North Carolina. We aren't going to one of those three.

Teams 5-7 are in the next group, and we are probably going to be in that group. The three games for those teams are Pinstripe, Sun and Mayo. We are going to get one of those three unless we are amenable to a trade elsewhere.

The Military and Fenway games come after that, as well as a spot in the Rufus Xavier Gasparilla Bowl for the 9th ACC team.
NC St is a virtual lock for the Mayo. Pencil them in right now.

Reactions: Dointhatrag
Remember that the Gator bowl got jobbed last year with TAM backing out because of a “Covid outbreak” and got stuck with Rutgers. They’re going to want the butts in the seats the most and in my opinion the ACC/SEC for what they can do owes that to them. I’d say they get ND (or FSU).

Notre Dame vs South Carolina

FWIW I think Pitt goes to the Pinstripe vs Iowa or Wisconsin

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Seems pretty straightforward:

ND - Holiday
FSU - Orlando
UNC - Gator
NC St - Mayo
Syracuse will be in the 5-7 range as well. Expect the order to be:
Cheez it - FSU
Gator - UNC
Mayo - NC State
Pinstripe: Syracuse
Sun: Pitt or Duke
Miltary: Pitt or Duke
Fenway:Louisville

Syracuse will be in the 5-7 range as well. Expect the order to be:
Cheez it - FSU
Gator - UNC
Mayo - NC State
Pinstripe: Syracuse
Sun: Pitt or Duke
Miltary: Pitt or Duke
Fenway:Louisville
I agree. I see Pitt and Duke wheeling and dealing behind the scenes, both feverishly trying to get the Military Bowl nod and to avoid the purgatory of El Paso. With Duke ultimately winning out after the ACC goes to bat for them.

ADVERTISEMENT