ADVERTISEMENT

ACC need the nuclear option

jivecat

Senior
Jul 5, 2001
If the SEC wants to play games….the ACC needs to throw the haymaker and capture the Texas market:

Texas Tech
Baylor
Houston
SMU
TCU
Oklahoma ST
Kansas
K State
Iowa state

provided academics are okay (assuming)…..it give the ACC 24 football teams…..good enough for 2 auto bids in the playoffs. Western teams would play each other and the eastern teams would play their traditional rivals.

It would also be the best basketball in the country.

If the SEC wants to play games….the ACC needs to throw the haymaker and capture the Texas market:

Texas Tech
Baylor
Houston
SMU
TCU
Oklahoma ST
Kansas
K State
Iowa state

provided academics are okay (assuming)…..it give the ACC 24 football teams…..good enough for 2 auto bids in the playoffs. Western teams would play each other and the eastern teams would play their traditional rivals.

It would also be the best basketball in the country.
You aren’t getting any more money in your ACC deal by adding these teams. And that’s because I don’t see ND on your list.

This is the sort of thinking akin to an opponent in your fantasy league offering 8 average players for Dalvin Cook.

Maybe but you would capture a few things. A large share of the TX tv market, and one of the top moneymakers in the B12 (Iowa state), and two spots in the BCS playoffs. That is some very big coin.

The biggest problem is Texas Tech is not very strong academically. Still better then WVU but not sure the ACC would let them in.

I like the thinking Jivecat, but IMO a more effective “nuclear option” would be going after the Pac 12. Send invites to Arizona, Arizona St, Cal, Oregon, Stanford, UCLA, USC, and Washington. That’d give the ACC 22 schools, leaving two spots for a 24-team “super league” which I’d keep open for Notre Dame and someone else.

Edit: If you really wanted to target the Big XII, the only schools that are appealing to me would be Iowa State, Kansas, Oklahoma State, and/or Texas Tech, along with (of course) WVU.

Reactions: TFBaum
I think some combination of Kansas (bball/KC market), OKSt, TCU, TT, Houston, and Baylor should be explored but it would have to generate just a ton of money and not sure it would.

Reactions: cdmg
Some of these moves may be more about survival as well. Yes…..your cut is less but you have ensured a place at the table for the next 25 years.

I like the thinking Jivecat, but IMO a more effective “nuclear option” would be going after the Pac 12. Send invites to Arizona, Arizona St, Cal, Oregon, Stanford, UCLA, USC, and Washington. That’d give the ACC 22 schools, leaving two spots for a 24-team “super league” which I’d keep open for Notre Dame and someone else.

Edit: If you really wanted to target the Big XII, the only schools that are appealing to me would be Iowa State, Kansas, Oklahoma State, and/or Texas Tech, along with (of course) WVU.
The winner of ACC East would play the Winner ACC West. Plus having USC and Stanford would further align ND.

See what it will take to get ND, add WV, I am sure if Michigan and OSU bolts the Big 10 for SEC, PSU might be an option as well , just not sure what Tobacco road is doing or not doing, well besides catering to UNC and Duke BB

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Much like the Big 12 should counter by adding IUP, Cal, Shippensburg, West Chester and Bloomsburg so they can capture the Pennsylvania market.
Wouldn't be surprised at all to see the Big 12 to go after the newly formed university which merges Cal, Clarion, and Edinboro. Would be a natural rival for WVU.

The ACC needs another program or two other than Clemson to step up and be force on the national scene. That's what the conference needs more than ever. We need more contender and less pretenders.
That’s why I’d like to see us go after ok state. Think that’s a really strong program. Not on caliber of Clemson but over last 5-10 years, probably better then everyone else in our conference.

Obviously they’d prefer the big 10 but if they do t go after them, we should.

Reactions: cdmg
How about this as an option. The four other P5 conferences get together and say they won't expand the playoffs to 12 unless there is a 3 team limit per conference. Part of the SEC adding OU and Texas is that they will get 5 or 6 spots and the money that goes along with it. The non SEC conferences will end up splitting at least 3spots (5 spots to the conference champion, the top rated non P5 school - needed to avoid anti trust lawsuit, and possibly ND). This would really bitch slap the SEC. Figure all but 3 of Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Georgia, Texas, Texas A&M, Florida and Oklahoma will be sitting it out every year. The fun watching who is the 3rd SEC team will be great theater.

Not from a TV set perspective. My guess is the ACC network is not carried in TX. This opens it up to the 2nd most populous state in the US.

Much like the Big 12 should counter by adding IUP, Cal, Shippensburg, West Chester and Bloomsburg so they can capture the Pennsylvania market.
Wouldn't be surprised at all to see the Big 12 to go after the newly formed university which merges Cal, Clarion, and Edinboro. Would be a natural rival for WVU.

Come on, you guys forgot Slippery Rock ....... Geez !!!!!!!!

I didn’t know that. They carry the ACC network?
I would think ACCN is on a sports tier in Texas meaning instead of getting $1/subscriber which is the magic number for these networks, they get a tiny fraction of that.....which is understandable since its out of their footprint.

I know this can be hard to believe for people who think that television services begin and end with Comcast, but the ACC network is available in a large majority of the television homes of America.
I get streaming but the majority of people still have cable. Hence the package would include a fee for the ACC network.

I get streaming but the majority of people still have cable. Hence the package would include a fee for the ACC network.

I am not talking about streaming. I am talking about people turning on their cable television and having access to the ACC network.

A year ago the ACC Network was available in over 70 million homes. It is surely greater than that today. Most of the people who don't have it are Comcast customers. For some reason Comcast customers don't seem to understand that.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I know this can be hard to believe for people who think that television services begin and end with Comcast, but the ACC network is available in a large majority of the television homes of America.
Just not in the majority of the ACC footprint. Comcast is the dominant provider in most major metro areas. And isn't it special the be weird white spot where it is not available is shaped alot like North Carolina.

XFINITY.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
Just not in the majority of the ACC footprint. Comcast is the dominant provider in most major metro areas. And isn't it special the be weird white spot where it is not available is shaped alot like North Carolina.

XFINITY.jpg
As you can see, Comcast is the major provider for:
Boston
New York
NYC
Jersey
Philly
Pittsburgh
Baltimore/DC
Virginia
Atlanta
Charleston
Miami
Jacksonville
Detroit
Chicago
Indianapolis
Minneapolis
Nashville
Houston
Denver
Northern Cal
Seattle

But hey, Greensboro, NC or Raleigh, NC, no issues. That's all that matters.

XFINITY.jpg
Oh, wow. That's incredible. No wonder they didn't get the deal done right. I honestly had no idea until seeing this. This is actually so infuriating that's it made me laugh out loud laying on my couch here.

Reactions: JSSTartan
Oh, wow. That's incredible. No wonder they didn't get the deal done right. I honestly had no idea until seeing this. This is actually so infuriating that's it made me laugh out loud laying on my couch here.
How many years did it take for the B1G to be picked up by Comcast?

As you can see, Comcast is the major provider for:
Boston
New York
NYC
Jersey
Philly
Pittsburgh
Baltimore/DC
Virginia
Atlanta
Charleston
Miami
Jacksonville
Detroit
Chicago
Indianapolis
Minneapolis
Nashville
Houston
Denver
Northern Cal
Seattle

But hey, Greensboro, NC or Raleigh, NC, no issues. That's all that matters.

Ding ding ding, winner

Maybe but you would capture a few things. A large share of the TX tv market, and one of the top moneymakers in the B12 (Iowa state), and two spots in the BCS playoffs. That is some very big coin.

The biggest problem is Texas Tech is not very strong academically. Still better then WVU but not sure the ACC would let them in.

Not from a TV set perspective. My guess is the ACC network is not carried in TX. This opens it up to the 2nd most populous state in the US.
That's exactly why you go get the University of Houston. Big TV market and a DEEP POCKET SUPPORTER.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT