ADVERTISEMENT

ACC, Pac 12 in discussions

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001

This kind of seems like a waste of time but its worth mentioning.

As I was saying before, I think the ACC and Pac 12 should merge and use the Pac 12's charter to take a TV deal to market. If the Big Ten is getting $100 million/school, I can see that league getting $70 million per.

Another thing they should do in a league this big is have 1 game every Tuesday and Wednesday and doubleheaders on Thursdays and Fridays. Spectators would hate this but its all about TV. Pitt vs VT on a Tuesday night would get great ratings.

Reactions: Dan1911
Like I said in the other thread, I don’t like this at all, particularly because (allegedly) it was initiated by the ACC. I can’t see how this will lead to increased payouts for either side. It seems more like a desperate attempt to keep the Clemsons and Florida States of the conference from leaving.

Last edited:
Nothing screams minor conference football more than weeknight games, especially if they were on a Tuesday or Wednesday. The NFL owns Thursdays now and people aren't staying in on a Friday night to watch college football. If anything, go to CBS to get the soon-to-be vacated 3:30 SEC slot. They treat it like it's the biggest and only game of the week. I would love to have that for my conference.

Nothing screams minor conference football more than weeknight games, especially if they were on a Tuesday or Wednesday. The NFL owns Thursdays now and people aren't staying in on a Friday night to watch college football. If anything, go to CBS to get the soon-to-be vacated 3:30 SEC slot. They treat it like it's the biggest and only game of the week. I would love to have that for my conference.
It IS minor league but people watch those Sun Belt and MAC games. Money is the name of the game. More people will watch Pitt/VT on Tuesday as opposed to Saturday opposite 5 other games

Like I said in the other thread, I don’t like this at all, particularly because (allegedly) it was initiated by the ACC. I can’t see how this will lead to increased payouts for either side. It seems more like a desperate attempt to keep the Clemsons and Florida States of the conference from staying.
The idea in the article is so stupid that I almost believe its a cover for something bigger

Like I said in the other thread, I don’t like this at all, particularly because (allegedly) it was initiated by the ACC. I can’t see how this will lead to increased payouts for either side. It seems more like a desperate attempt to keep the Clemsons and Florida States of the conference from staying.
Do you mean "from leaving"?

I hope the PAC-12 likes Tac Shavers :oops:
And Joe Namath Medicare commercials…
images

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Like I said in the other thread, I don’t like this at all, particularly because (allegedly) it was initiated by the ACC. I can’t see how this will lead to increased payouts for either side. It seems more like a desperate attempt to keep the Clemsons and Florida States of the conference from leaving.
The ACC and PAC-12 commissioners make $4-6 million per year. I don't see either of them negotiating to lose their job. That's why schools are moving, not conferences.

Reactions: Dan1911
I think the low value has more to do with the names of the teams, dont ya think? Pitt/VT on a Tuesday does much better than Akron/Ball St

I think the names of the teams don't matter a whole heck of a lot, only the number of eyeballs watching the games.

I mean I guess when you say "it IS minor league but people watch those Sun Belt and MAC games", you could be talking literally, meaning that there are at least two people watching every one of those games. But the implication of your statement is that some significant number of people watch college football on Tuesday nights, and that is simply factually incorrect.

Haven't you heard? Television ratings don't mean anything anymore.
Ohio/WMU drew 711K despite being up against 2020 election coverage.

The record is a 2015 game that drew 850K. That is for MAC football. Put NC State vs GT on a Tuesday and people will watch

ADVERTISEMENT