ADVERTISEMENT

Addison to USC, possibly $3.5 million a year

Truth be told I preferred the tradition school pride etc. over the F you pay me crap now. It's like the NFL without the contracts. At least the NFL has a draft to try to add balance.
Indeed. But that’s seen as exploitive to the players, for them to “merely” be getting free tuition, room and board etc. Compared to the coaches it is, and I think that disparity really shed more and more negative light on the situation. In this manner, the coaches kind of cooked their own goose.

Ugly and preposterous for coaches such as Saban to publicly gripe that players are making massive money and switching schools willy-nilly, when they do the exact same thing, and have for decades now. ADs too for that matter. As years went by and the stakes continued rising for the coaches, the (not insignificant in isolation) take that the players were getting in comparison did start to appear exploitive.

There is no doubt he's one of the best WR's in the country. The big knock on him is size, straight line speed, and lack of competition. Alabama and Georgia WR's have seen better competition in practice then JA has seen in games.
Steel, I get your main point, but I think it is a little overdone.

Addison was a sub 11 100 guy in HS; he will run the 40 somewhere in the 4.4s at the least. The ACC, for all of its negatives, is a Southern speed conference. The guys at Miami, FSU, UNC, Clemson, etc. are not running slow though they may have not had many high picks the past year or so.

At Pitt practices, Damarri Mathis was there, a sub 4.4 guy. He was a very physical corner. Both Woods and Devonshire may be faster than he is per the Pitt folks. And, the Pitt CB style is physical by definition, so Addison understands physical CB play well, he saw it every day in practice.

I guess we can argue that the physicality is not quite the same in ACC (the overall athletes), but I think it is more nitpicking than anything else. The ACC has great athletes. He saw very good CBs in practice as well.

Addison and the kid from PSU that just went in the first round are similar guys. Addison a little more quick, Dodson a little more physical.

Is Addison an Emmanuel Sanders or AB style talent? We will not know until he gets there and keeps developing (or does not keep developing). But, the questions on Addison are more around the edges and on upside than anything else (which I think is your end argument though it seems as though you are putting him more in the Sanders category). He clearly is a top 2 round guy. The NFL clearly has made the decision (smartly) to not miss on 5'11"-ish guys anymore due being enamored with 6'2" or so and above.

I do not think pointing out that he did not play at Alabama or Georgia really changes much other than perception. He is very battle tested and proven without being in the SEC or at those schools.

I think some on here just can’t remember how good Bryant was.
Addison is good, really good. But Bryant was a level above. That’s not knocking Addison though people here seem to think it does. To be the third best receiver (or around that) in thethe school’s modern history, is not a slight. My original context when mentioning them was to imagine/marvel just how big the NIL deals would have been flying, in order to get an all time great (and we’re talking all time college football, not just Pitt) like Fitzgerald, and to a somewhat lesser extent, Bryant.

Truth be told I preferred the tradition school pride etc. over the F you pay me crap now. It's like the NFL without the contracts. At least the NFL has a draft to try to add balance.
Santa isn't real, neither are the Tooth Fairy or Easter Bunny.

Sorry to spoil 3 other fictions that you likely believed in as well. Kids didn't head to Norman, Oklahoma from all over the country for school pride.

Steel, I get your main point, but I think it is a little overdone.

Addison was a sub 11 100 guy in HS; he will run the 40 somewhere in the 4.4s at the least. The ACC, for all of its negatives, is a Southern speed conference. The guys at Miami, FSU, UNC, Clemson, etc. are not running slow though they may have not had many high picks the past year or so.

At Pitt practices, Damarri Mathis was there, a sub 4.4 guy. He was a very physical corner. Both Woods and Devonshire may be faster than he is per the Pitt folks. And, the Pitt CB style is physical by definition, so Addison understands physical CB play well, he saw it every day in practice.

I guess we can argue that the physicality is not quite the same in ACC (the overall athletes), but I think it is more nitpicking than anything else. The ACC has great athletes. He saw very good CBs in practice as well.

Addison and the kid from PSU that just went in the first round are similar guys. Addison a little more quick, Dodson a little more physical.

Is Addison an Emmanuel Sanders or AB style talent? We will not know until he gets there and keeps developing (or does not keep developing). But, the questions on Addison are more around the edges and on upside than anything else (which I think is your end argument though it seems as though you are putting him more in the Sanders category). He clearly is a top 2 round guy. The NFL clearly has made the decision (smartly) to not miss on 5'11"-ish guys anymore due being enamored with 6'2" or so and above.

I do not think pointing out that he did not play at Alabama or Georgia really changes much other than perception. He is very battle tested and proven without being in the SEC or at those schools.
You make some good points but I don't think Addison is a guy up until this point is one who lives on the outside and gets bracket coverage in the pros. He might become that guy, but I haven't been convinced of it yet.

I think the ACC is way down on the talent board the past 2 seasons.

2021 - Jordan had massive games (100yds) against (pass defense ranking) -
UNH (FCS) - 179--------#115 in FCS
WMU (MAC) - 124 - #10
GT (ACC) - 117 ---------#121
UM (ACC) - 145 --------#102
Duke (ACC) - 171 ------#129
UVA (ACC) - 202 ------#87
Wake (ACC) - 126 -----#49
MSU (B10) - 114--------#130

Pass Def rankings
Tenn - #122
UNC - #84
VT - #63
Clem - #34
Cuse - #26
PITT - #115

I know looking at pass defense rankings and comparing offensive output isn't the most precise metric but there is a reason many knocked Kenny's production and hype because he didn't really face the best talent out there. My view is that JA is not "very battle tested."

Addison is good, really good. But Bryant was a level above. That’s not knocking Addison though people here seem to think it does. To be the third best receiver (or around that) in thethe school’s modern history, is not a slight. My original context when mentioning them was to imagine/marvel just how big the NIL deals would have been flying, in order to get an all time great (and we’re talking all time college football, not just Pitt) like Fitzgerald, and to a somewhat lesser extent, Bryant.
Completely different impact as a player when you consider the talent he had at QB.

Didn't Antonio average 135 yards a game in his sophomore year?

You make some good points but I don't think Addison is a guy up until this point is one who lives on the outside and gets bracket coverage in the pros. He might become that guy, but I haven't been convinced of it yet.

WMU (MAC) - 124 - #10

Pass Def rankings
Tenn - #122
UNC - #84
VT - #63
Clem - #34
Cuse - #26
PITT - #115

I know looking at pass defense rankings and comparing offensive output isn't the most precise metric but there is a reason many knocked Kenny's production and hype because he didn't really face the best talent out there. My view is that JA is not "very battle tested."
All those team had bad pass defense rankings because they played Pitt. ;)

But seriously, how is UVA #87, they were awful. Surprised to see WF at #49 too. I know the D led to most of out points against WF in our game, I just hadn't considered WF as having that good of D.

WMU (MAC) - 124 - #10

Pass Def rankings
Tenn - #122
UNC - #84
VT - #63
Clem - #34
Cuse - #26
PITT - #115

Considering Addison is considered a 1st rd pick, I would that over your opinion. Look, you are one of those who get hard ons over muscles. Jockrocrat.

Considering Addison is considered a 1st rd pick, I would that over your opinion. Look, you are one of those who get hard ons over muscles. Jockrocrat.
I’m not sure why you are so offended by his opinion. Everyone thinks Addison is a good player and did a great job last year. It’s too bad the NFL didn’t have a 2 year rule. He would have been a mid first round draft pick this past year. If he gets injured or something goes awry at USC, then it isn’t hard to picture his stock dropping to the late 1st or 2nd round. He is 5-11 175lbs, so there are going to be more physically imposing receivers that test better at the combine.

Reactions: BFo8
I’m not sure why you are so offended by his opinion. Everyone thinks Addison is a good player and did a great job last year. It’s too bad the NFL didn’t have a 2 year rule. He would have been a mid first round draft pick this past year. If he gets injured or something goes awry at USC, then it isn’t hard to picture his stock dropping to the late 1st or 2nd round. He is 5-11 175lbs, so there are going to be more physically imposing receivers that test better at the combine.
You guys all have followed sports and football long enough to understand there is a whole lot more to it than size and speed. Every year, you see "studs" given 4-5 stars, drafted in rd 1 because they "camp" well. They are great athletes, but not great football players. Some guys have "it", some don't. Addison has "it".

You guys all have followed sports and football long enough to understand there is a whole lot more to it than size and speed. Every year, you see "studs" given 4-5 stars, drafted in rd 1 because they "camp" well. They are great athletes, but not great football players. Some guys have "it", some don't. Addison has "it".
Why is it that the NFL keeps the combine with all of the evaluating they do?

Quick answer - they know the majority of the successful guys are physical freaks.

If a guy is lacking a specific measureable, he typically makes up for it another one. If a guy is lacking 2, his intangibles better be off the charts and he better be versatile - S/T.

Jordan is a really good player. I think he runs routes that are tough to cover and he's very smooth.

But, let's look at what some consider the best receivers in football are from a measureable perspective -

Cooper Kupp - 6'2 195
Ja'Marr Chase - 6' 201
Deebo Samuel - 6' 215
Justin Jefferson - 6'1 205
Steffon Diggs - 6'1 191
Davante Adams - 6'1 215
CeeDee Lamb - 6'2 197
Mike Evans - 6'5 231
Tyreek Hill - 5'10 185
AJ Brown - 6'1 225
Tee Higgins - 6'4 215
DK Metcalf - 6'4 229
Dionte Johnson - 5'10 183
DJ Moore - 6' 210
Mike Pittman - 6'4 225
Jaylen Waddle 5'10 185
Terry McClaurin - 6' 209
Amari Cooper - 6'1 215
Courtland Sutton - 6'4 220
Mike Williams - 6'4 220
Chris Godwin - 6'1 209
Jerry Jeudy - 6'1 191
Brandon Cooks - 5'10 183
Elijah Moore - 5'10 179

As you see the majority of these guys are way bigger.

The sub 6' guys like Hill and Dionte Johnson are probably more of a comparison. AKA just like the comparison made above like Emanuel Sanders.

Why is it that the NFL keeps the combine with all of the evaluating they do?

Quick answer - they know the majority of the successful guys are physical freaks.

If a guy is lacking a specific measureable, he typically makes up for it another one. If a guy is lacking 2, his intangibles better be off the charts and he better be versatile - S/T.

Jordan is a really good player. I think he runs routes that are tough to cover and he's very smooth.

But, let's look at what some consider the best receivers in football are from a measureable perspective -

Cooper Kupp - 6'2 195
Ja'Marr Chase - 6' 201
Deebo Samuel - 6' 215
Justin Jefferson - 6'1 205
Steffon Diggs - 6'1 191
Davante Adams - 6'1 215
CeeDee Lamb - 6'2 197
Mike Evans - 6'5 231
Tyreek Hill - 5'10 185
AJ Brown - 6'1 225
Tee Higgins - 6'4 215
DK Metcalf - 6'4 229
Dionte Johnson - 5'10 183
DJ Moore - 6' 210
Mike Pittman - 6'4 225
Jaylen Waddle 5'10 185
Terry McClaurin - 6' 209
Amari Cooper - 6'1 215
Courtland Sutton - 6'4 220
Mike Williams - 6'4 220
Chris Godwin - 6'1 209
Jerry Jeudy - 6'1 191
Brandon Cooks - 5'10 183
Elijah Moore - 5'10 179

As you see the majority of these guys are way bigger.

The sub 6' guys like Hill and Dionte Johnson are probably more of a comparison. AKA just like the comparison made above like Emanuel Sanders.
Antonio Brown. I mean he is a clowntard, but for 5-6 years, he was as good as any WR,

ADVERTISEMENT