ADVERTISEMENT

Alabama football on GameDay = Epic Fail

HailtoPitt

Board of Trustee
Jun 18, 2001
Is it just me or does Bama football desperately need a new business model? While they have always been popular, they seem to have just exploded in the last few years by winning all those national titles. They either need to double the number of parking locations, significantly raise prices, or commit to some type of 3-4 multilane highway and off ramp system in Tuscaloosa, which I know will take more land but I'm not sure their current model is sustainable. These locations have teams of traffic directors, people outside scalping tickets, police presence, etc. Every visit is like queuing to get into a Chic Fil-A parking lot.

ive heard knoxville is a nightmare logistically on game day too. guess alot of yinz will be able to see it first hand in a few months.

i cant speak for bama or vols fans but i think it's fair to say it's a different culture down there on game days and they dont have the same mindset as us here in pittsburgh. here, we have to be home, on our couches, no later than 25 minutes after the game. it's why so many here leave games early, it's why so many like Heinz field. It's convenient to get in and out of, minimal traffic, home within 30 minutes..

i dont think other fans in different parts of the country prioritize getting home as quickly as possible as we do here. it's a game day thing, they are there, it's an "event", unlike here in pittsburgh where we love noon games so we can be home by 3:30pm to do, nothing..

Many fans on this board want the game to be as early as possible so they can get it over with to start their weekend. im sure in alabama, the game IS their weekend.

Last edited:
Yup!...and therein lies the difference.
i read soo many posts on here from supposed Pitt fans who talk about game days and how they want it early so they have time for the weekend after and it's so weird to me. they treat home pitt games like cutting the grass or something.

could you imagine a fan in some of these other college towns saying that about their games? you think anyone in an sec town or some of these big 10 towns hoping kickoff is early so they can be home in early afternoon on saturday to start their weekend? Me either.

i read soo many posts on here from supposed Pitt fans who talk about game days and how they want it early so they have time for the weekend after and it's so weird to me. they treat home pitt games like cutting the grass or something.

could you imagine a fan in some of these other college towns saying that about their games? you think anyone in an sec town or some of these big 10 towns hoping kickoff is early so they can be home in early afternoon on saturday to start their weekend? Me either.
Pitt allows Pitt Football to be perceived as "uncool". One might argue that Pitt "knows (and accepts) its place" in the local sporting pecking order. That is, a distant 4th, and possibly 5th after HS football. And it doesn't need to be that way. Steeler crowds predominantly draw the same people week after regular season week. That leaves a huge opportunity with people seeking fun, family-friendly way to spend an afternoon or evening who don't regularly attend Steeler games.

ADVERTISEMENT