ADVERTISEMENT

Alan Saunders reporting ox is gone

Who's Ox?

jJT1s7h.jpg

The football equipment manager. Paco will be here shortly to tell us all how it's a travesty and terrible for the athletic department.

You may think itms funny to say this, but I can guarantee you that a the Pitt program will be in a world of hurt if the new gal in charge tries to bully somebody like Junko out.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
No Joke...I was in the South Side at "The Exchange" and a guy that works there says "Lighten up Francis"...and the girl says.."I have no idea what that means."...so I said "it's from Stripes."

Not a single one of anyone knew that movie.

Even the guy that quoted it. Sad times. Lol.

BVG

That’s either a sad indication of the times we live in or a sign that I’m old.

I know nearly every line from Stripes, almost as many as I do from Revenge of the Nerds. Just another kick in the crotch I guess.

Reactions: PittSquared
No Joke...I was in the South Side at "The Exchange" and a guy that works there says "Lighten up Francis"...and the girl says.."I have no idea what that means."...so I said "it's from Stripes."

Not a single one of anyone knew that movie.

Even the guy that quoted it. Sad times. Lol.

BVG
Were you driving your EM-50?

You may think itms funny to say this, but I can guarantee you that a the Pitt program will be in a world of hurt if the new gal in charge tries to bully somebody like Junko out.

Not sure it would be bad.., Junko can hardly walk.. sadly it might be time.. 72 years young.

Last edited:
Reactions: pbrad

We have been mediocre for over 30 years, these guys whole tenure here. I am sure we can be mediocre without them. Maybe it is time for new blood.

Because when old players come back or anybody associated comes back, they go see Junko and spend hours with him. Force him out and not let him call his own shot when he wants to go.....you won’t have anybody looking at this program. Bad news travels and people don’t like seeing people they care about disrespected.

It’s not about what he’s doing to get kids here, it’s about what he does after they get here. Go ask any player who’s played at Pitt for the past 30 years and you’ll hear it. I heard it again a few weeks ago from 4 former players at a family function. He’s loved more than any coach on the staff by far.

We have been mediocre for over 30 years, these guys whole tenure here. I am sure we can be mediocre without them. Maybe it is time for new blood.

If I had to guess, you would drop to below mediocre. The “hey, aaron donald is here to visit” would probably stop and so would some large donations. Our wpial relations is already on thin ice.....it would be worse. But some of you think a team with 0 wpial players would be a good thing. Hey, maybe Heather is the smartest person in the room and will give it a shot.....

If I had to guess, you would drop to below mediocre. The “hey, aaron donald is here to visit” would probably stop and so would some large donations. Our wpial relations is already on thin ice.....it would be worse. But some of you think a team with 0 wpial players would be a good thing. Hey, maybe Heather is the smartest person in the room and will give it a shot.....

I know former players as well and they would be upset, but quiet honestly, it's probably like the people who say they will never watch the NFL again because of the anthem protest, they are still watching.

Same with the firing of the long time athletic trainer. Gilbert Brown was fired up, but now they are all warm and cuddly with Capel.

Reactions: Jpripper88
Because when old players come back or anybody associated comes back, they go see Junko and spend hours with him. Force him out and not let him call his own shot when he wants to go.....you won’t have anybody looking at this program. Bad news travels and people don’t like seeing people they care about disrespected.

Bro - what former players are influencing kids to come to PITT?

Give specific examples in any of Narduzzi's classes.

Pitt is light years from other schools when utilizing their alumni in recruiting. The school east of us will have 30-60 former players mingling with parents, making speeches, etc at their camps, visits, etc.

Reactions: Jpripper88

A protege of Foge and another great guy like Foge.

To make some class-less comment threatening the “gal” just exhibits to all what type of person YOU are.

I know former players as well and they would be upset, but quiet honestly, it's probably like the people who say they will never watch the NFL again because of the anthem protest, they are still watching.

Same with the firing of the long time athletic trainer. Gilbert Brown was fired up, but now they are all warm and cuddly with Capel.

You are right on many who said they won't watch the NFL anymore not following through. However, it is definitely not a 100% thing. Viewership is off and I personally know a half-dozen guys who were casual NFL fans for decades who used to watch a game or two each weekend who have stopped watching entirely. NFL football wasn't super important to them to begin with and the protests killed off whatever level of interest they previously had.

Bottom line, you really don't want to tick off even some subset of all the former players because it will have negative consequences that might be short of total disaster but will still hurt the program significantly.

No one making large donations is going to stop making large donations because 72 year old Bob Junko is no longer at Pitt.

There are ways to respectfully and gently move long term, well thought of individual along when they have not bought in to the culture change. If Pitt goes about it in a professional way, and Ox makes stink, it is he who will look bad. Sure there might be a few former players who don’t or won’t get it but most will. And the ones that don’t most likely are not bringing much to the table as an alumni. Good lord Green Bay and Brett are good now

Last edited:

The exact same things were said and this was the perfect example. Gil Brown wasn't doing anything for Pitt. He wasn't donating to Pitt.

It’s not about what he’s doing to get kids here, it’s about what he does after they get here. Go ask any player who’s played at Pitt for the past 30 years and you’ll hear it. I heard it again a few weeks ago from 4 former players at a family function. He’s loved more than any coach on the staff by far.
This is all true. Every program has a guy like Junko. Most end up in some obscure role where they just kind of serve as a bridge between the old and new faces in the program, a liaison between former players, longtime boosters and the program at golf outings, banquets, fundraisers, etc. Those guys serve an important role, every new staff that comes in are strangers to the former players, coaches and boosters. The Junkos keep the relationships solid through those transitions. I played college football in the late 80s. My old team's version of Junko is still on the staff in a "Director of Football Operations" capacity. He has lived through about 10 different coaching regimes, as well as the very best and worst days in the program's history since then. We love the guy and he's still the first guy many of us seek out at football alum golf outings, homecoming gatherings, etc.

I doubt very much that Heather would force the guy out. He will retire at some point on his own terms.

This may all be true, but one of Pitt's big problems is the former players rarely give back to the program in any significant monetary way. If you are not investing money in Pitt, although it is nice to see former players around...Pitt can do better with its limited time and resources. Hail to Pitt!

Madden says his sources within the school are telling him there was a gigantic blowout between OX and Coach Duzz at a Pitt BBQ recently. He says former players have since emailed him to confirm this today. Madden ended segment saying, "Duzz may turn out to be a good football coach for Pitt, but he is a bad person, hard to work for."

I know he's fat, ugly, and needs to stick to hockey. Just passing on what was said about this on his show today.

I feel bad for anyone who loses their job after 31 years. I hope he lands on his feet quickly.

I have no idea what the circumstances were and I don't know how accurate fat boy's information is, but the same thing was said about Bill Cowher (Hard to work for).

Having said that, I have no problem with someone raising expectations, even if it's the equipment manager.

There has been a lot of incompetence and complacency in the athletics department for YEARS and any change is good in my opinion.

Madden just gave another detail about the Ox vs Duzz dust up. Apparently Duzz order OX to clean up after everyone recently at the yearly BBQ. OX refused, leading to the disagreement and his firing after over 30 years with the team.

That is pretty damn sad for Duzz to do that to such a respected guy.

Reactions: PittFanDan17
ADVERTISEMENT