ADVERTISEMENT

All things being equal, Mike Leach is one of the GOATs

Have to agree. Ppl are like “see what miss st did!” But Leach is an all time great when it comes to offense.

You should post this as an OT on the LR board. May be a first where lefts and rights can agree on something!!

You should post this as an OT on the LR board. May be a first where lefts and rights can agree on something!!

Isnt he a right-winger? I don't care what he is, the guy is unbelievable. I'd hire him in a heartbeat. If our POTUS can act like a fool at press conferences and half the country be cool with it, then surely its ok for a football coach of a college football team to do the same. Just win.

Just about any other coach that has had his success would have been given the keys to a "blue blood" program. But because he made Craig James mad for not rolling out the red carpet for his entitled son, Leach has to get punished.

I think Pitt could have had him before he went to WSU. But Ivy League schools don't stoop that low I guess. Fans were talking about Tom Bradley and Sal Sunseri. Lol. Steve wanted Fraud.

Last edited:
Isnt he a right-winger? I don't care what he is, the guy is unbelievable. I'd hire him in a heartbeat. If our POTUS can act like a fool at press conferences and half the country be cool with it, then surely its ok for a football coach of a college football team to do the same. Just win.
Yeah he’s a con. But for me, I like coaches like Leach who are entertaining as hell and win. His style is based on his humor, And YouTube is a treasure trove of Mike Leach bits.
But I also enjoy other big personality coaches as well who play the heal. John Tortorella is an example of that. I love Torts. Madden from the Cubs/Rays is another one who fits that category although I’m not much of a fan of his. I also love José Mourinho. Jose might be my favorite of all time.

I can tell you I live up in the northwest...I don’t know how ANYONE can win in Pullman, but he did! Guy is a good coach!

"Isnt he a right-winger? I don't care what he is, " you care so little that you had to bring it up out of left field when it has no relevance whatsoever.....hahaha

Reactions: Millerton
"Isnt he a right-winger? I don't care what he is, " you care so little that you had to bring it up out of left field when it has no relevance whatsoever.....hahaha

NCanton Panther brought it up. I was replying to that.

Just stating the obvious. Always has jobs in tough places to win and still wins and wins a lot.

only one game but looking like a good hire by MSU. Impressed that he got the offense installed with no spring practice and a crazy fall camp (although it helps having a Stanford transfer step right in at QB and an Alabama transfer at WR). But Leach is also good for a few WTF losses a season, something we know a lot about.

Not sure how his personality would have fit here and whether he would have took to an urban setting. Would have been a better hire than either Graham or Chryst (Leach was available for hire both times). The air-raid with Savage & Tyler Boyd would have been fun to watch. Maybe the legend Robert Foster would have signed on for that as well.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
only one game but looking like a good hire by MSU. Impressed that he got the offense installed with no spring practice and a crazy fall camp (although it helps having a Stanford transfer step right in at QB and an Alabama transfer at WR). But Leach is also good for a few WTF losses a season, something we know a lot about.

Not sure how his personality would have fit here and whether he would have took to an urban setting. Would have been a better hire than either Graham or Chryst (Leach was available for hire both times). The air-raid with Savage & Tyler Boyd would have been fun to watch. Maybe the legend Robert Foster would have signed on for that as well.
There were some posters that brought up his name back then, including myself. Not sure if he was seriously considered by our AD at the time.

There were some posters that brought up his name back then, including myself. Not sure if he was seriously considered by our AD at the time.

He was in the middle of a pretty messy court battle with Texas Tech and wasn't exactly lighting it up at Washington State.

I think Leach gets remembered more for games like Saturday than for his actual accomplishments as a HC. He's averaged 4-5 losses per season most of his career.

He was in the middle of a pretty messy court battle with Texas Tech and wasn't exactly lighting it up at Washington State.

I think Leach gets remembered more for games like Saturday than for his actual accomplishments as a HC. He's averaged 4-5 losses per season most of his career.

Which is probably the ceiling of WSU and Texas Tech.

He had TT and WSU thinking about a NC late in the season. That's enough for me

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Just stating the obvious. Always has jobs in tough places to win and still wins and wins a lot.
He is a very good coach . One of the goats I don't know. He has never had a great team that I can remember. Th counter point you made is yeah he isn't coaching at places that win at all until he gets there. He is really good at taking over a traditional 4 or 5 win program and winning 8. But that's a lot easier than taking that team to the top or even taking over a power program and getting them championships. Meyer won big at utah then at fl and OSU. But you or I could go in 9 at those schools.

I think this stint at ole Miss is a big time way to judge leach. They are traditionally better than leach's other stops. Can he make them a 10 or 11 win team from a 7 or 8?

Just about any other coach that has had his success would have been given the keys to a "blue blood" program. But because he made Craig James mad for not rolling out the red carpet for his entitled son, Leach has to get punished.

I think Pitt could have had him before he went to WSU. But Ivy League schools don't stoop that low I guess. Fans were talking about Tom Bradley and Sal Sunseri. Lol. Steve wanted Fraud.
Agree I was with you on wanting him before wsu. He is going to get a good qb and score point no matter where he coaches.

Which is probably the ceiling of WSU and Texas Tech.
Agree which is why this stint at ole miss will give us a better judge than those. At ttech and wsu 8-4 is a great year but ole miss wins 6 or 7 most of the time they are similar to pitt solid programs but ones that haven't won big in awhile. Still programs that are much easier to win at than ttech or wsu.

Agree which is why this stint at ole miss will give us a better judge than those. At ttech and wsu 8-4 is a great year but ole miss wins 6 or 7 most of the time they are similar to pitt solid programs but ones that haven't won big in awhile. Still programs that are much easier to win at than ttech or wsu.

If he wins 6 games at Ole Miss this year, they should put him in the HOF

Reactions: USN_Panther
Ole miss has won 60 games the last 10 years so they have averaged 6 wins a year. Wsu won 29 the 8 years prior to him although they did win 20 the two years before that if you include them they average right at 5 wins but those years were pretty much a anomaly for wsu. They have pretty much been a 4 win program they won 56 in his eight years so he made them a 7 win program.
If he can get ole miss to a 9 win program over the next 6 years that's a really good accomplishment.
For those wondering pitt has won 69 games the last ten years or basically a 7 win program. I would have liked to see what leach could have done here.

Last edited:

He was 84-43 at TT. That is an outstanding job at a place like that. WSU might be the most difficult job or one of them, and he won there as well. Miss. St. is a very difficult job. They’ve won 10 games twice in their entire history of playing football. That is their high water mark.

The messy court battle with James was overblown.

He was 84-43 at TT. That is an outstanding job at a place like that. WSU might be the most difficult job or one of them, and he won there as well. Miss. St. is a very difficult job. They’ve won 10 games twice in their entire history of playing football. That is their high water mark.

The messy court battle with James was overblown.

If I put his career record (with all of the FCS and bad conference losses) under HCPN name and told you that is what Pitt will be over the next fifteen years, would we be saying HCPN is the GOAT? Leach wins some great games but there are a lot of mediocre seasons in there.

The court battle may have been overblown but his name was connected to every major vacancy and then some after TT (including Miami and PSU) but nobody hired him. By the time Pitt's job opened, Leach wasn't exactly tearing up the Pac12. If you look back, I doubt Leach was high on anyone's radar here because of what was going on.

Yeah he’s a con. But for me, I like coaches like Leach who are entertaining as hell and win. His style is based on his humor, And YouTube is a treasure trove of Mike Leach bits.
But I also enjoy other big personality coaches as well who play the heal. John Tortorella is an example of that. I love Torts. Madden from the Cubs/Rays is another one who fits that category although I’m not much of a fan of his. I also love José Mourinho. Jose might be my favorite of all time.

Last time I checked it wasn't illegal to be a conservative or even a libertarian in this great country of ours. If it's changed, please let the rest of us know.

Leach is coaching at Miss State not Ole Miss (University of Mississippi). There's a huge difference between the two.

I could see Leach making Miss st respectable and getting an offer from a place like Miami. Good God imagine his offense at a place like that.

He's definitely the most interesting coach for sure.
I for one would give a donation to Pitt to watch Leach as head football coach do a roundtable discussion with our Chancellor and Board of Trustees. Second biggest fundraising possibility for Pitt athletics after Smiley in a dunk booth.

For God's sake the Pitt brain trust would have a heart attack with him as coach. I am surprised WVU didn't reach out. He would be the godfather of West Virginia as head coach. And I would be green with envy.

On second thought, I am not sure the WVU faithful would get his jokes........ but they would love the winning!

Rumor has it Foster is transferring to Pitt after this season. Heard he’s unhappy in the NFL.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT