ADVERTISEMENT

All those Mario coins ... wasted

I agree with you that if Miami keeps Diaz, they probably win more games this year.

But that’s kinda like when you break up with someone that you really need to break up with. The period right after that you usually feel worse than you did when you were with them, but long term it’s for the best because you were never going to get out of it what you needed.

And I disagree with your view that a burn down has to mean you take the players and change them. As I said previously, that’s why coaches frequently have Year 0s and go young with their recruits and you see large amounts of transfers. They aren’t even trying to change the old players.

I have no idea if Cristobal is going to be successful. I’d make the same argument with him that I did with Mack Brown: you have to wait until a recruiting CEO has three classes of his players on the roster, before you can judge.
When you have superior talent to everyone in your Division, and you are the preseason favorite to win it, perhaps the focus should be on winning it instead of making your program the laughing stock of college football. Just a thought.

What Coastal teams don't have talent issues? They have enough talent that could have been coached to a much better record than 5-7 against their schedule.

Burning it down, and year zero, are simply excuses to buy the coaching staff time. There's no reason that team couldn't have competed for the Coastal. Frankly, their big money staff looks inept and lost. They will continue to recruit well but I don't think anything is going to change.

I agree.

I think the All-Star coaching route maybe was a mistake. And I think Gattis’ offense is a bad fit.

I also think Cristobal has built a winning program before. So I’m not convinced he isn’t going to again. His recruiting is on that path.

When you have superior talent to everyone in your Division, and you are the preseason favorite to win it, perhaps the focus should be on winning it instead of making your program the laughing stock of college football. Just a thought.

Maybe. But I think he was brought in to burn it down and build it up to a long term top tier program.

What Coastal teams don't have talent issues? They have enough talent that could have been coached to a much better record than 5-7 against their schedule.

Burning it down, and year zero, are simply excuses to buy the coaching staff time. There's no reason that team couldn't have competed for the Coastal. Frankly, their big money staff looks inept and lost. They will continue to recruit well but I don't think anything is going to change.

Year 0 is not an excuse to buy staffs time. You do that right off the bat when you have all the time in the world.

But it’s not like Oregon was good when he took it over.
They weren't terrible either. They had a rough year in Helfrich's last season. Oregon has been a solid program for a long time. Mario didn't do anything special there. So far, his recruiting at Miami appears to be nothing special either. I don't think he's anywhere close to Kirby/Saban level. It's a far cry from where it needs to be if the Canes want to win a Natty.

They weren't terrible either. They had a rough year in Helfrich's last season. Oregon has been a solid program for a long time. Mario didn't do anything special there. So far, his recruiting at Miami appears to be nothing special either. I don't think he's anywhere close to Kirby/Saban level. It's a far cry from where it needs to be if the Canes want to win a Natty.

That’s just not true. Oregon fans will tell you that Mario is who brought that program into the modern age of how to be a big time program. Go listen to the dudes that run their 247 site. I listened to their podcasts when the rumors were starting to go around with him to Miami, and they were huge Cristobal guys because of how Cristobal took over a program that didn’t know how to be an “SEC” program, and put them on that path.

That’s just not true. Oregon fans will tell you that Mario is who brought that program into the modern age of how to be a big time program. Go listen to the dudes that run their 247 site. I listened to their podcasts when the rumors were starting to go around with him to Miami, and they were huge Cristobal guys because of how Cristobal took over a program that didn’t know how to be an “SEC” program, and put them on that path.

Please. Oregon played in 2 National Title games before Mario took them "big time." 😂

Please. Oregon played in 2 National Title games before Mario took them "big time." 😂

Yeah. And that “just offensive system our way to an advantage” strategy was dead and never coming back.

But you know better than Oregon insiders I guess.

Chip Kelly was 46-7 at Oregon. It wasn’t all that long ago that he had them in the Top 5 on a regular basis.

Yeah. And then everybody caught up to the Kelly offense and it stopped being an advantage. Which is why Oregon fired his disciple and had no interest in bringing him back when Cristobal left.

Yeah. And then everybody caught up to the Kelly offense and it stopped being an advantage. Which is why Oregon fired his disciple and had no interest in bringing him back when Cristobal left.
Cristobal took over from Willie Taggart. After Cristobal, they hired the Todd Graham disciple.

Regardless, I saw Super Mario get absolutely bent over by Kyle Wittingham twice last year. I think he lost to a tanking 3 win Stanford team as well. That's what Mario does. That's why he is a career .500 coach.

Cristobal took over from Willie Taggart. After Cristobal, they hired the Todd Graham disciple.

Regardless, I saw Super Mario get absolutely bent over by Kyle Wittingham twice last year. I think he lost to a tanking 3 win Stanford team as well. That's what Mario does. That's why he is a career .500 coach.

Right. They fired Kelly’s disciple. And then when Cristobal left, there was a big “Kelly world v. Other Direction” debate amongst Oregon people. The school continued in the Cristobal world.

And you keep wanting to convince me Cristobal isn’t an elite coach. I agree. But he’s a good coach that was a 10 wins a year coach at Oregon. I see nothing yet that leads me to believe that won’t be the case at Miami.

ADVERTISEMENT