ADVERTISEMENT

All those Mario coins ... wasted

djbpitt

Sophomore
Jun 28, 2001
For the 'Canes, last night looked like a humid version of the end of Majors 2.0. A deserted stadium. A team with no heart and not much talent. And a coach wandering the sideline without a care or a clue.

Someone needs to interview the Miami NIL guy today. And Cristobal is a dolt.

For the 'Canes, last night looked like a humid version of the end of Majors 2.0. A deserted stadium. A team with no heart and not much talent. And a coach wandering the sideline without a care or a clue.

I would imagine there will be some coachable athletes looking for new homes this off season…those without NIL’s. But then most of that team was $igned with a booster’s wallet. We’ll see what the fallout is…nevermind…Pre-season top20 now that Mario has everyone on the same page.

Other than the crowd size and records, I don't see the similarities. Pitt was way short on talent back then, but still managed to improve enough to get a couple of late season wins. This Miami team is much more talented. Its not even close.

FWIW, I thought Miami actually played with a pulse in their first offensive series last, before quitting after the TVD INT/injury

They have the #10 class. Ruiz going to keep spending big. Me or you can coach the team in a few years and they'll win 10 games. It takes players. Look at USC.
The coaching difference is seismic between Riley and Cristobal. I agree Miami will start to win again but I don’t think it will be at a 10 games a year level.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Other than the crowd size and records, I don't see the similarities. Pitt was way short on talent back then, but still managed to improve enough to get a couple of late season wins. This Miami team is much more talented. Its not even close.

FWIW, I thought Miami actually played with a pulse in their first offensive series last, before quitting after the TVD INT/injury

yeah I was having visions of last season on that first drive with the screens to the WR/TE that went for 8-10 yards. If they punch it in that first drive, maybe a different game? Kind of like the missed pick 6 against GaTech. But it didn't happen so no use talking about it further, lol.

Reactions: TD_6082
Garcia looks like a very good QB prospect, and that goes a long way to success. They need to protect him better, because he isn’t mobile. But looks to throw very effectively, particularly deeper balls. They are the type of program that can buy up great OL very quickly, and they’ll always have great skill players and TE, so that will ramp up his effectiveness right away. We should have some healthy trepidation about facing them in coming years.

Reactions: jctrack
The coaching difference is seismic between Riley and Cristobal. I agree Miami will start to win again but I don’t think it will be at a 10 games a year level.
Agreed - Cristobal also has assistants who can recruit, but some of them aren’t very good coaches.

Agreed - Cristobal also has assistants who can recruit, but some of them aren’t very good coaches.
We’ve all talked about it on here for years, for all his great recruiting the guy is going to piss away a game or two each year with sheer incompetence in late game decision making. He did it at FIU, he did it at Oregon, and I’m sure he will do it at Miami.

When he was at FIU and being considered for the Pitt job I wanted no part of him, figured he would provide a boost in recruiting but not enough so to compensate for his lousy coaching.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
They have the #10 class. Ruiz going to keep spending big. Me or you can coach the team in a few years and they'll win 10 games. It takes players. Look at USC.

yeah. The OP’s argument is odd.

Miami this year looked exactly like a team that needed a new coach to come in and start kicking everybody’s ass and change the culture.

And looks like a team that needs a booster to come in and start buying some 5* recruits.

I’m guessing people thought the recruits Ruiz is buying for next season were going to play this season? Or something.

Like the heart we showed against GT

yeah. The OP’s argument is odd.

Miami this year looked exactly like a team that needed a new coach to come in and start kicking everybody’s ass and change the culture.

And looks like a team that needs a booster to come in and start buying some 5* recruits.

I’m guessing people thought the recruits Ruiz is buying for next season were going to play this season? Or something.
He certainly changed the culture. Last year, they competed. This year, they quit.

He certainly changed the culture. Last year, they competed. This year, they quit.

Yeah. That’s frequently what happens when you come in carry out a culture change.

That’s why a lot of coaches come in and go with a “Year 0” approach their first year. The older guys are a lost cause, so they play the young guys.

Yeah. That’s frequently what happens when you come in carry out a culture change.

That’s why a lot of coaches come in and go with a “Year 0” approach their first year. The older guys are a lost cause, so they play the young guys.

A culture change wasn't needed. Miami was within a few points of an 8-0 conference record last year. They were the preseason pick to win the Coastal this year. He inherited one of the most talented teams in the ACC. This year was a trainwreck. He can't even get his guys to play hard.

A successful culture change is what Mike Elko accomplished this year at Duke.

Cristobal's approach is basically buy better players with millions more donor money at his disposal. Genius!

A culture change wasn't needed. Miami was within a few points of an 8-0 conference record last year. They were the preseason pick to win the Coastal this year. He inherited one of the most talented teams in the ACC. This year was a trainwreck. He can't even get his guys to play hard.

A successful culture change is what Mike Elko accomplished this year at Duke.

Cristobal's approach is basically buy better players with millions more donor money at his disposal. Genius!

A culture change wasn’t need at Miami??? Dude…

The ACC is actually getting better in footb(unall

It actually is pretty genius. They will soon have one of the most expensive rosters in college football and will win

A culture change wasn’t need at Miami??? Dude…
Again, they lost to FSU by 3, UVA by 2, and UNC by 3. They were the preseason favorite to win the Coastal. They totally regressed. And other than the last 2 years, that were affected by Covid, Miami has their lowest home attendance since 2007.

At least Cristobal won his introductory press conference.

Again, they lost to FSU by 3, UVA by 2, and UNC by 3. They were the preseason favorite to win the Coastal. They totally regressed. And other than the last 2 years, that were affected by Covid, Miami has their lowest home attendance since 2007.

At least Cristobal won his introductory press conference.

Yeah. I agree. They could have been just average enough again this year and won the Coastal with an 8-4 record.

Or they could burn it it all down, take the lumps that comes with players quitting, and try to be elite.

Your argument is really odd. You’re saying there’s something inherent about Cristobal that caused players to quit? If so, why didn’t we see it at Oregon? It’s the Oregon players that went to the AD and demanded he by the coach.

Yeah. I agree. They could have been just average enough again this year and won the Coastal with an 8-4 record.

Or they could burn it it all down, take the lumps that comes with players quitting, and try to be elite.

Your argument is really odd. You’re saying there’s something inherent about Cristobal that caused players to quit? If so, why didn’t we see it at Oregon? It’s the Oregon players that went to the AD and demanded he by the coach.

The schedule was set up to do no worse than 10-2.

When you have the talent to compete for a conference championship, why the hell would you be "burning" anything down? How about go win the damn division and build on that?

No, I'm not saying there is anything inherent about Cristobal that caused players to quit. I'm saying he has guys on the field giving a half-assed effort and he allows it. He's allowed it since day one at Miami. It's the main reason his team is so pathetic.

Cristobal is an enigma. He wasn't great at FIU, yet still got hired at Oregon. He won the Pac 12 once in 4 seasons, which is underperforming with Oregon's talent and resources, especially when USC and UCLA weren't very good.

Then in the ultimate nepotism move, he gets hired at Miami for $8 million per year because he's a cousin or in law or something of their mega donor. It's one thing to rebuild, but Miami's performance this year has been abysmal.

Miami could have went out and got a proven head coach who has over performed. They could have brought in Gundy, or Leach, or Fickell, or attempted to get someone the caliber of Brian Kelly or Lincoln Riley, as LSU and USC did. Big huge whiff for Miami.

Reactions: 303vND
Cristobal is an enigma. He wasn't great at FIU, yet still got hired at Oregon. He won the Pac 12 once in 4 seasons, which is underperforming with Oregon's talent and resources, especially when USC and UCLA weren't very good.

Then in the ultimate nepotism move, he gets hired at Miami for $8 million per year because he's a cousin or in law or something of their mega donor. It's one thing to rebuild, but Miami's performance this year has been abysmal.

Miami could have went out and got a proven head coach who has over performed. They could have brought in Gundy, or Leach, or Fickell, or attempted to get someone the caliber of Brian Kelly or Lincoln Riley, as LSU and USC did. Big huge whiff for Miami.
Miami should have let it play out with Manny Diaz another year. When you are as close as they were to being a really good team, and you have a budding superstar in TVD, it's best to let it play out. Even Duzz, as much as some of our fans like to bitch about his mental competence, is smart enough to know that you don't screw with progress. He retained Whipple for one more ride with Kenny.

Its not like Cristobal was going anywhere, if that's the direction they insist on going.

Miami should have let it play out with Manny Diaz another year. When you are as close as they were to being a really good team, and you have a budding superstar in TVD, it's best to let it play out. Even Duzz, as much as some of our fans like to bitch about his mental competence, is smart enough to know that you don't screw with progress. He retained Whipple for one more ride with Kenny.

Its not like Cristobal was going anywhere, if that's the direction they insist on going.

They really shouldn’t have. You’re posting some crazy takes in this thread.

I'd wager that their mega donor who is related to Mario, didn't want to risk Manny having a good year, so he pulled the plus when he had the chance.

I think any take that tries to justify home loss beatdowns to Pitt, MTSU, and Duke as some necessary part of progress is the crazy take.

I’m not trying to justify anything.

As others have said, I think they have major talent issues at areas and the team quit. I also think their offense is outdated and contributed to the problems.

But the idea that they should have kept Diaz is insane. Or that Miami hasn’t had a culture problem for 20 years that needs to be fixed, is insane.

How is he fixing the culture problem by jobbing to 5-7 and being embarrassed by Pitt on his home field on senior night?

They always recruit well and always have talent. I don't understand this tear it down and start over discussion. What's going to change?

How about win with the talent you have...

How is he fixing the culture problem by jobbing to 5-7 and being embarrassed by Pitt on his home field on senior night?

They always recruit well and always have talent. I don't understand this tear it down and start over discussion. What's going to change?

What’s going to change relative to what?

I’m not sure I understand what you’re asking?

We've seen a lot of "changing the culture" at Pitt with all the coaching changes since the turn of the century. It seemed like every time the new regime came in, there would be ups and downs inevitably resulting in a 6-6 season that first year (and sometimes in subsequent years), but the "culture" seemed to be in place by the end of year 1. I'm not sure Cristobal has got a successful culture in place by this point based on what happened down the stretch. Sure he can sell the future on the number of top ranked recruits coming in and the whopping $5 million they will spend in the transfer market (that number still strikes me as kinda cheap given how rich Ruiz is), but it seems like there is still a culture problem.

We've seen a lot of "changing the culture" at Pitt with all the coaching changes since the turn of the century. It seemed like every time the new regime came in, there would be ups and downs inevitably resulting in a 6-6 season that first year (and sometimes in subsequent years), but the "culture" seemed to be in place by the end of year 1. I'm not sure Cristobal has got a successful culture in place by this point based on what happened down the stretch. Sure he can sell the future on the number of top ranked recruits coming in and the whopping $5 million they will spend in the transfer market (that number still strikes me as kinda cheap given how rich Ruiz is), but it seems like there is still a culture problem.

I don’t think Pitt’s problem has been a bad culture, more like bad coaches and a diminishing talent base that makes it hard to win at.

That’s not the same thing at say a school like Texas. Where everybody has commented on the country club vibe that has existed at the school for a long time now. Where you have kids recording coaches. Players at media day saying the upper classmen would rather go party on Guadalupe Street than win games, etc.

That’s a tough rebuild to change that. Which is why so many Texas coaches have failed.

I would say Miami has the exact same problem.

Last edited:
What’s going to change relative to what?

I’m not sure I understand what you’re asking?
Why do they need to tear it down and start over, and what difference is that going to make? They already have a roster filled with top 15 recruiting classes.

Reactions: TD_6082
Why do they need to tear it down and start over, and what difference is that going to make? They already have a roster filled with top 15 recruiting classes.

They obviously have huge talent issues at spots. I’m not sure you can fix OL talent in an offseason.

But it’s not difficult to see how bringing in Top 5-ish classes that are molded in your image rather than the rot that has previously existed, would make a difference.

I think it’s fair to say Miami was perfectly fine and on the right track and didn’t need any kind of cultural change. I think that is an insane take, but a fair one.

But if Miami did need a complete burn down, then burn downs can get ugly. They don’t always, but they frequently do. I don’t think that’s indicative that the rebuild isn’t going to work.

Last edited:
They obviously have huge talent issues at spots. I’m not sure you can fix OL talent in an offseason.

But it’s not difficult to see how bringing in Top 5-ish classes that are molded in your image rather than the rot that has previously existed, would make a difference.

I think it’s fair to say Miami was perfectly fine and on the right track and didn’t need any kind of cultural change. I think that is an insane take, but a fair one.

But if Miami did not a complete burn down, then burn downs can get ugly. They don’t always, but they do. I don’t think that’s indicative that the rebuild isn’t going to work.

Yea. Too many holes and TVD missed time. Still should have been much better than 5-7. Basically, they are going to be PSU very soon. Is Cristobal really a worse coach than Franklin? They will have Top 10 classes and win 10 games just for showing up

Yea. Too many holes and TVD missed time. Still should have been much better than 5-7. Basically, they are going to be PSU very soon. Is Cristobal really a worse coach than Franklin? They will have Top 10 classes and win 10 games just for showing up
LMAO. Do you think Cristobal could take Vandy to 3 straight bowl games.

For crying out loud, Cristoball is a career .500 coach.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan

But if Miami did need a complete burn down, then burn downs can get ugly. They don’t always, but they frequently do. I don’t think that’s indicative that the rebuild isn’t going to work.
Cristobal - worst year 1 in 45 years at the U

"On some days Miami mailed it in, which is the most damning thing you can say about a team and coaching staff. And they did so with a team that was comprised of a group of players who played hard for Manny Diaz the second half of last season while closing the year 5-1"

Miami wasn't hurting for talent. Outside of Clemson, they have more talent on their roster than any other program in the ACC. I understand the "complete burndown" concept. However, it's usually accompanied by a foundation that involves either getting maximum effort, or fighting like hell to get maximum effort. Cristobal does neither. His team showed ZERO improvement in year one. They ROUTINELY were blown out and non-competitive against teams with far inferior talent. That's inexcusable.

And what is ultimate Miami's goal? Because they have zero chance of winning a Natty with Cristobal as HC, imo.

Cristobal - worst year 1 in 45 years at the U

"On some days Miami mailed it in, which is the most damning thing you can say about a team and coaching staff. And they did so with a team that was comprised of a group of players who played hard for Manny Diaz the second half of last season while closing the year 5-1"

Miami wasn't hurting for talent. Outside of Clemson, they have more talent on their roster than any other program in the ACC. I understand the "complete burndown" concept. However, it's usually accompanied by a foundation that involves either getting maximum effort, or fighting like hell to get maximum effort. Cristobal does neither. His team showed ZERO improvement in year one. They ROUTINELY were blown out and non-competitive against teams with far inferior talent. That's inexcusable.

And what is ultimate Miami's goal? Because they have zero chance of winning a Natty with Cristobal as HC, imo.

I agree with you that if Miami keeps Diaz, they probably win more games this year.

But that’s kinda like when you break up with someone that you really need to break up with. The period right after that you usually feel worse than you did when you were with them, but long term it’s for the best because you were never going to get out of it what you needed.

And I disagree with your view that a burn down has to mean you take the players and change them. As I said previously, that’s why coaches frequently have Year 0s and go young with their recruits and you see large amounts of transfers. They aren’t even trying to change the old players.

I have no idea if Cristobal is going to be successful. I’d make the same argument with him that I did with Mack Brown: you have to wait until a recruiting CEO has three classes of his players on the roster, before you can judge.

What Coastal teams don't have talent issues? They have enough talent that could have been coached to a much better record than 5-7 against their schedule.

Burning it down, and year zero, are simply excuses to buy the coaching staff time. There's no reason that team couldn't have competed for the Coastal. Frankly, their big money staff looks inept and lost. They will continue to recruit well but I don't think anything is going to change.

ADVERTISEMENT