ADVERTISEMENT

All you need to know about Frauduzzi's D

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
2016 Best offense in school history (thank you Canada and Chryst). It was also the worst defense in school history even though 3/4 of the secondary are currently on NFL rosters (Lewis, Whitehead, Maddox). 3 NFL DBs and getting torched through the air. Narduzzi isa fraud. Built his rep stopping stoneage B10 offenses

2016 Best offense in school history (thank you Canada and Chryst). It was also the worst defense in school history even though 3/4 of the secondary are currently on NFL rosters (Lewis, Whitehead, Maddox). 3 NFL DBs and getting torched through the air. Narduzzi isa fraud. Built his rep stopping stoneage B10 offenses

I think that is it. Stubborn coaching not willing to adapt

As with Chryst, neither really see a reason to change. Nobody holds poor results at Pitt against the coach. He's here getting experience and when a better job in the Big Ten emerges he can be called to it. Worst case it might be a DC again. Meanwhile he got his extension so if we give up on him early it nets him a huge buyout. So in short what's the real incentive to work hard or change anything here, especially now?

As with Chryst, neither really see a reason to change. Nobody holds poor results at Pitt against the coach. He's here getting experience and when a better job in the Big Ten emerges he can be called to it. Worst case it might be a DC again. Meanwhile he got his extension so if we give up on him early it nets him a huge buyout. So in short what's the real incentive to work hard or change anything here, especially now?
The man has shown that he's not currently a very good HC and I doubt that this fact has escaped any Big programs ADs . He also has not grown into a better HC 4 yrs into the job as PC did . His defenses here also suggest he'd be hard pressed to land a DC position anywhere of note .
I don't feel it has anything to do with effort he's just not a good HC . A HC needs to be able to sell his vision to 18 yr old recruits and their parents and surround himself with excellent assitants . Unfortunately he's not done either well enough to be successful .
Whomever is Pitts next coach must either be a great recruiter or tactician . Both would be even better !

The man has shown that he's not currently a very good HC and I doubt that this fact has escaped any Big programs ADs . He also has not grown into a better HC 4 yrs into the job as PC did . His defenses here also suggest he'd be hard pressed to land a DC position anywhere of note .
I don't feel it has anything to do with effort he's just not a good HC . A HC needs to be able to sell his vision to 18 yr old recruits and their parents and surround himself with excellent assitants . Unfortunately he's not done either well enough to be successful .
Whomever is Pitts next coach must either be a great recruiter or tactician . Both would be even better !
To me as well but Paul Chryst and Todd Graham were worse on the surface, Graham a jackass, Chryst a fat tub of goo. They did shit here. They still got better jobs. With the proper leadership around them they then did very well. Chryst is cruising along. Graham eventually wore out his ASU welcome, as happens many places with many coaches but they got good service out of him.

It's beyond the coach. He's almost superfluous to be honest. It's an institutional thing. It needs to be a focus, a lust almost, from trustees to dean's to faculty to student core to especially alumni. With Pitt it is not. Hence, mediocrity or worse.

Reactions: pitt_fb_9x1
To me as well but Paul Chryst and Todd Graham were worse on the surface, Graham a jackass, Chryst a fat tub of goo. They did shit here. They still got better jobs. With the proper leadership around them they then did very well. Chryst is cruising along. Graham eventually wore out his ASU welcome, as happens many places with many coaches but they got good service out of him.

It's beyond the coach. He's almost superfluous to be honest. It's an institutional thing. It needs to be a focus, a lust almost, from trustees to dean's to faculty to student core to especially alumni. With Pitt it is not. Hence, mediocrity or worse.

There is a lot of truth here. It's not all of it. I don't want to put chryst down but he probably maxes out at 8 wins at pitt. In the big10 east his Wisconsin teams easily get 10 wins. It's part schedule, part chryst, part institution, part easier conference. If he goes to practically any other school I think he gets pitt results.

a lot of what he put in for the game today worked.

There is a lot of truth here. It's not all of it. I don't want to put chryst down but he probably maxes out at 8 wins at pitt. In the big10 east his Wisconsin teams easily get 10 wins. It's part schedule, part chryst, part institution, part easier conference. If he goes to practically any other school I think he gets pitt results.

I have to agree with this....we can't pretend that there was some sort of "magic" with Chryst at the helm. With the exception of the Miami win, he beat the teams who should have beat and lost to the better teams.

This is soooooooo correct. I mentioned this after the PSU debacle. It’s a college football climate/institutional issue. It starts with spending more for coaches/assistance by the institution and progresses to boosters spending money and influencing high school students to come to your
program. Without the look the other way mentality by the university/college, you can’t have a Top tier program.

Walt Harris’ agent at the time upset me, but now I’ve come to think it was a correct statement..”You can’t win big at Pitt.” (For the above reasons his agent must have been eluding to.)

I’m convinced schools like Pitt have to hit a grand slam with hiring and that’s a formidable task.
(There are very few Brian Kellys-Cinn/urban Myers BG/Utah who can make a huge dent in a school outside the top 25-30 football powers. I like Heather, but it takes a lot to find the diamonds in the rough out there.

The only thing firing a coach and hiring a new one does,imho, is brings back a sense of optimism for the future for the fan base. In reality, the new coach will have the same shackles as the last coach. Unless he is a perfect choice by our AD, the same process will happen again in 5 years....jmho

Say what you want about PC , but he took over a total dumpster fire here . He also left better players for PN then he's been able to recruit . I'm not suggesting that PC would've lead Pitt to a bowl series game , but he was becoming better at his job and it would be another sad day in Panther nation if Pitt and Wisc would meet up on the
field .
I don't think any Panther fan has anything good to say about Todd Graham , but the man could sale himself . He did a pretty good job at doing that and was smart enough to realize rather quickly Pitts administration wasn't fully committed to winning .
I think Pitt under Heather wants to win , they proved that to me with doing the unthinkable in eating KS contract with soo much moola still on the table . I couldn't comprehend the extension given last yr to PN at all , but who knows what's in it anyway . Whatever the cost of fixing the Fb program is that money can be recouped down the line if they hire the right people . The risk is in spending the money on the wrong guy ....which Pitt seems to do to frequently.
My best guess is PN gets another yr unless they go winless the rest of the season .

This is soooooooo correct. I mentioned this after the PSU debacle. It’s a college football climate/institutional issue. It starts with spending more for coaches/assistance by the institution and progresses to boosters spending money and influencing high school students to come to your
program. Without the look the other way mentality by the university/college, you can’t have a Top tier program.

Walt Harris’ agent at the time upset me, but now I’ve come to think it was a correct statement..”You can’t win big at Pitt.” (For the above reasons his agent must have been eluding to.)

I’m convinced schools like Pitt have to hit a grand slam with hiring and that’s a formidable task.
(There are very few Brian Kellys-Cinn/urban Myers BG/Utah who can make a huge dent in a school outside the top 25-30 football powers. I like Heather, but it takes a lot to find the diamonds in the rough out there.

The only thing firing a coach and hiring a new one does,imho, is brings back a sense of optimism for the future for the fan base. In reality, the new coach will have the same shackles as the last coach. Unless he is a perfect choice by our AD, the same process will happen again in 5 years....jmho

***Really like this post. This is why Pitt admin most do everything thing to make the facilities, ON campus stadium, recruiting budget, etc better so that no matter who you get it helps the coach do better cause your not getting a proven P5 ACC coach to come to Pitt for even 8 mil a year.

Reactions: pitt_fb_9x1

Chryst walked into a train wreck here and at the least built a foundation without compiling losing records. Even with that being said he had very little chance of getting a better job that wasn’t named Wisconsin.

Graham was only here 1 year and already had proven he could win as a head coach at other places.

Narduzzi’s situation is totally different. No one is coming looking to hire him away.

Reactions: JSSTartan and pbrad
In 2018, to turn around a sad football program relatively quickly, ie a few years, it would take very first, an uber aggressive and ruthless HC. Equally if not more so for assistants. Willingness to purge existing dead wood players. Add in player payola and deemphasis on player ethics and academics. To start.

Then it would probably need a serious uptake in amenities and facilities to near Oregonian levels.

That requires recruiting new big money boosters and unleashing old.

Administration and faculty willing to commit to a 180 in attitude and culture for all the above.

And not to be overlooked, a complicit local media not only covering up these things but cheerleading for us.

With all that, still no guarantee.

So what do you think the chances for thes things are?

In 2018, to turn around a sad football program relatively quickly, ie a few years, it would take very first, an uber aggressive and ruthless HC. Equally if not more so for assistants. Willingness to purge existing dead wood players. Add in player payola and deemphasis on player ethics and academics. To start.

Then it would probably need a serious uptake in amenities and facilities to near Oregonian levels.

Administration and faculty willing to commit to a 180 in attitude and culture for all the above.

And not to be overlooked, a complicit local media not only covering up these things but cheerleading for us.

There are no player academic issues. We take guys with the minimum NCAA requirements and keep them eligible. That isn't costing us players. We just can't recruit. We need coaches who can recruit.

Reactions: fairgambit

0.000001% chance.
“So you’re telling me there’s a chance....?”

If the main goal of a pittsburgh fan is to see a program that is devoted to winning, you’ll need to look elsewhere. OSU (2 1/2 hr drive west); PSU (2 1/2 hr drive east); WVU (90 min drive south)

0.000001% chance.
“So you’re telling me there’s a chance....?”

If the main goal of a pittsburgh fan is to see a program that is devoted to winning, you’ll need to look elsewhere. OSU (2 1/2 hr drive west); PSU (2 1/2 hr drive east); WVU (90 min drive south)
This was precisely an amalgam of those three programs. The first part is a total blueprint of what Rich Rod did at WVU, particularly the massive player purge and embracing of partial qualifiers.

All the rest are things already in place in those schools.

Yet while they all do well, it's still not like they win NC every year, OSU obviously comes closest. WVU and PSU each with one excellent shot, both thwarted by losses to poor sad sack us.

And my point above was that we may as well keep Narduzzi and let him try to slowly build things up. Work within the system to perhaps get mild reforms. Fast is not feasible.

Graham was 46-32 at ASU but as you saw he couldn't recruit. He was 28-13 with mostly Erikson's players. Then sub .500 with his own.

Screw the Chryst debate. He’s been gone for four years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT