ADVERTISEMENT

Allegheny County: new COVID hotspot?

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
238 positive tests yesterday, breaking its current record by double. Who's ready to pack Heinz for NFL and college games? Hopefully, that was anomaly. If not, we are headed toward a hotspot designation and everything that comes with that. The country closed all restaurants for 1 week (besides takeout) and really, we should be going back to the red phase. The thought of Pitt having students on campus in 7 weeks is laughable. Get ready to homeschool your kids again.

According to Dr Gottlieb, the numbers spike this week is from the Memorial Day weekend.

If true, and I am not doubting Gottlieb, it would suggest that the infections from protests the past 2 weeks havent been accounted for yet.

And this weekend will likely result in a spike around labor day

With camps all over CFB presumably starting in August?

The NFL will play. CFB???

Less than 50/50

Reactions: bubba31
Memorial Day was six weeks ago. The protests were four. Reports of declining numbers two weeks ago likely led to many thinking the virus was on its way out and the guard was dropped.

Reactions: CougarClaws
They kept telling us the #'s , its not in Allegheny CO..........so peopple went out and now its in Allegheny County.

wtf

edit////// The media can feed us all bullshit anyways...... so take it with a grain of salt.

Pretty crazy how fast they covered for those protesting, don’t you think? I mean, it’s insulting to our intelligence to say that it was bars, not protestors.

Not following social distancing guidelines inside vs not following social distancing guidelines outside. While I think its stupid to have mass gathering protests during a pandemic, you are far more likely to be infected in a small, cramped bar.

We’ll know a lot in the next week.

If it stays in the young population and they stay the hell away from everyone, hopefully very little permanent impact.

If they start spreading to older people, it would have a lot of “entry points” for that to happen. That’s scary and will lead to more bad outcomes.

And that will truly be a tragedy because those people will know how they got it. It’s not like NYC where people were getting it everywhere and anywhere. We were down to very few cases per day, so it will be pretty obvious if one of these kids gives it to grandma who had otherwise been doing great for 4 months

Memorial Day was six weeks ago. The protests were four. Reports of declining numbers two weeks ago likely led to many thinking the virus was on its way out and the guard was dropped.

I don’t disagree, but we are currently being ordered to wear masks outside in public spaces. That tells me the Governor and the dude running our State Health department would agree with what I’m saying. Even when Coronavirus was at its absolute worst, when our bodies were completely exposed to a new virus, it was still cold and we were all susceptible to catching something, we were never ordered to wear a mask outside. Now we are, it’s not a coincidence.

Reactions: PittPanthers90
Why are cases in the US sky rocketing? If you don't test, you'll never know.

IWjJEri.png

Reactions: TFBaum
I hope everyone gets a test, and cases explode. The more cases combined with a lower death rate make this a bad flu.
From October 1, 2019 to April 4, 2020 there were approximately 43,000 flu deaths according to the CDC. Just a bad flu according to you. Brilliant.

From October 1, 2019 to April 4, 2020 there were approximately 43,000 flu deaths according to the CDC. Just a bad flu according to you. Brilliant.

Stay in your house, you’re clearly not cut out to be in the real world. For 98-99% of people, they will be just fine. If you’re old, or at risk, or just scared like you....stay in and shut up.

Another big protest today!!! Finally, the police got involved and broke it up. These group events count too. People need to start chanting Kent State at them.....because it is obvious they could care about public safety.

Reactions: superstein61a
Stay in your house, you’re clearly not cut out to be in the real world. For 98-99% of people, they will be just fine. If you’re old, or at risk, or just scared like you....stay in and shut up.
Listen up loser. I am outside constantly in the summertime. Private pool, workouts take place outside, grilling, have small group of friends over or go to their house to party. I am just not an idiot putting myself in bad positions like yourself.

Except the high end estimate of flu deaths this year was about 65k. Sometimes the raw numbers matter.

Yea, the majority of the people that died were older folks who had preexisting conditions. That’s what happens when a virus our immune systems have never seen attacks us. Hiding in our homes did nothing for our immune health. And that’s why we are still battling this.

Reactions: Millerton
Yea, the majority of the people that died were older folks who had preexisting conditions. That’s what happens when a virus our immune systems have never seen attacks us. Hiding in our homes did nothing for our immune health. And that’s why we are still battling this.

That last part’s a pretty bold statement considering nobody has any idea if being infected confers any type of long term immunity.

Of course it does, have you taken even a basic pathology class? Here’s an article to help you out.

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.06.29.174888v1

I mean who hasn’t taken a basic pathology class. It’s part of all curriculums, no? Must not have retained it.

I do know it’s conflicted right now. Some studies have said the presence of T cells is good news for long term immunity. Others say there’s a rapid loss of Covid 19 antibodies.

I set up an acquaintance for testing. He was positive. He was at the protests. He was an active participant in that he was helping people overcome by tear gas. He was also filming parts of it. I asked him if he told them about the protest and he said no. He also said he wasn't asked.

Also, a younger asymptomatic person could essentially transfer to another asymptomatic person who gave it unknowingly to somebody not at the protests.

Anybody who says it didn't come from vacation has an agenda. Anybody who says it didn't come from bars has an agenda. Anybody who says it wasn't spread during the protests has an agenda. All groups of people together can potentially cause a cluster.

I set up an acquaintance for testing. He was positive. He was at the protests. He was an active participant in that he was helping people overcome by tear gas. He was also filming parts of it. I asked him if he told them about the protest and he said no. He also said he wasn't asked.

Also, a younger asymptomatic person could essentially transfer to another asymptomatic person who gave it unknowingly to somebody not at the protests.

Anybody who says it didn't come from vacation has an agenda. Anybody who says it didn't come from bars has an agenda. Anybody who says it wasn't spread during the protests has an agenda. All groups of people together can potentially cause a cluster.

This is it - the heart if the problem. No trust possible, but it's all of the above. More from southern vacations & bars, and not wearing masks in public. But of course some of the spike are from protests.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT