ADVERTISEMENT

Allegheny County: new COVID hotspot?

If outdoor protests were driving significant increases in cases, cities like Minneapolis, Chicago, and NYC would be seeing another wave instead of their new lows. But cases are actually surging in tourist traps in the south/west that have bars and restaurants open but smaller or even no protests.

Mostly at this point the same 400 or so people are going to protests in Pittsburgh. Like I know a large portion of these people, a few felt symptoms and went for tests and were fine.

This map says it well:
https://imagesvc.meredithcorp.io/v3...ites/20/2020/06/11/covid-hotspot-map.jpg&q=85

This isn't complicated, or important...what grouop is responsible for uptick, etc.?

The point is this is a respiratory virus that is spread when people get too close and pass it to others through coughing, sneezing, singing, chanting or whatever...

We're pretty sure outside is better than inside. BUT if you're too close and an infected person passes virus to you, you're going to get infected, period!

So blame the protestors, blame the bar patrons, blame the young, blame BLM...whatever floats your boat.

The overriding issue, however, is the virus is still out there, it is still looking to infect, and will infect when given the opportunity. Everyone needs to be smart and considerate, young, old, sick, healthy, R's and D's, black and white....it doesn't matter to the virus. It will accept any target of opportunity!
Very well put

People died of heart disease and heart failure 3x more over the past week than did covid 19 in the United States

Last edited:
Of course it is. I don't think many of us, or at least me, are arguing this point. But those arguing that the protests had no impact have an agenda, or are simply fools. Any sane person knows this.

Instead of admitting they are likely contributing to the increase, along with everything else going on when states open back up, we get credit card usage data as evidence to the contrary. One of the dumbest things I've ever seen propagated in the media and lapped up by the public.
And yet
The Correlation doesn’t exist
Because mask work
Just like they worked for the two supercut employees in Missouri who exposed 42 customers.

Reactions: PittPanther44
And yet
Because mask work
Just like they worked for the two supercut employees in Missouri who exposed 42 customers.

Researchers attribute the lack of infectious spikes following the protests to multiple factors which include the gatherings being held outdoors in mostly sunny conditions, the younger demographic of the protest population, mask use, the relatively small % of the total population actually participating in the protests, and the larger non-protesting population who were more likely to stay at home (decreased their mobility) during these events according to cell phone tracking data. Masks may be one factor, but were not universally worn, are often not worn correctly and/or are touched inappropriately by the user, and/or are typically of insufficient material and construction to prevent substantial projection of viral particles by infected individuals repeatedly and loudly projecting vocalizations behind them.

Lack of spikes also does not mean that there was not viral spread at the protests, which anecdotally did occur. Spread among the protesting population has not been studied sufficiently or evaluated in different populations, and is hampered by restrictions on data collection, making definitive conclusions impossible. Most epidemiologists would identify the most likely reason significant spikes were not seen as decreased spread in the much larger general non-protesting population who were more likely to stay at home which countered viral spread in the protest population.

Last edited:
Shall I repeat
Masks worked
And there has been no link to cases and protests .
If true, that is awesome. It means we can have outdoor sports and concerts with fans. It also means that with enough cross breeze and up lighting, we can have indoor events.

And yet
Because mask work

That's great, masks work. Not sure who is arguing to the contrary. It would be relevant if all protesters wore masks.

If true, that is awesome. It means we can have outdoor sports and concerts with fans. It also means that with enough cross breeze and up lighting, we can have indoor events.
In theory

in reality? No

going to a protest is your own gamble... with zero liability

going to a concert? A sports event? Does not have zero liability by any stretch of the imagination...

then factor in team workouts and practice and locker rooms for athletes?

yeah good luck with that

zero comparison to protests other than its outdoors virtually every other factor is apples and artichokes

In theory

in reality? No

going to a protest is your own gamble... with zero liability

going to a concert? A sports event? Does not have zero liability by any stretch of the imagination...

then factor in team workouts and practice and locker rooms for athletes?

yeah good luck with that

zero comparison to protests other than its outdoors virtually every other factor is apples and artichokes

I don’t follow. Sports are being played, but without fans so the locker room argument doesn’t hold. No reason a waiver couldn’t be granted to take care of liability. The bigger risk is that protests were not nearly as free from transmission as the contact tracing suggests.

I don’t follow. Sports are being played, but without fans so the locker room argument doesn’t hold. No reason a waiver couldn’t be granted to take care of liability. The bigger risk is that protests were not nearly as free from transmission as the contact tracing suggests.
I’d let the paid professional leagues act as experimental group .
Let’s let millionaires see if it can be done safely first -
Then we can try amateurs

You don’t follow what?

a protest is a protest

an athletic event is a revenue generating event. A concert is the same thing. It’s liability period. Look I had tix to a show for April 1... got bumpers to September... just yesterday bumped to July 2021 again.

people including the artists aren’t willing to take a chance.

and good luck convincing those hosting events to have waivers. This isn’t a trump rally. Who in their right mind would sign that with continued climbing numbers? What school will ask athletes to play under these conditions?

it ain’t happening this year just face it.

ADVERTISEMENT