ADVERTISEMENT

Always thought the 13-9 game

tetonpanther

Freshman
Sep 26, 2005
Would bethe most biased reffing in my lifetime. Saturday night surpassed 13-9 in being an absolute screw job. Funny too how nobody mentions the pitt player body slammed on the fsu sideline. I am really beginning to hate the ACC

Reactions: jrvmvp
I mean that no-call and the Bartholomew call were bad. But I feel like most of the people who think we were "robbed of a win" think that way because they don't understand the rule on the Mumpfield fumble call. We had a couple close call PI's they let go.

I mean that no-call and the Bartholomew call were bad. But I feel like most of the people who think we were "robbed of a win" think that way because they don't understand the rule on the Mumpfield fumble call. We had a couple close call PI's they let go.
The miss on the two handed facemark irks me way more than the weird end zone fumble rules.

Pitt will always be an outsider in this conference and will never get the benefit of the doubt in any situation. I really hope once the B1G and SEC snatch a few teams that the ACC and Big 12 both dissolve and a new conference is formed.

The miss on the two handed facemark irks me way more than the weird end zone fumble rules.

Pitt will always be an outsider in this conference and will never get the benefit of the doubt in any situation. I really hope once the B1G and SEC snatch a few teams that the ACC and Big 12 both dissolve and a new conference is formed.

Yeah, that one sucked as well. But I would think the ACC would be giving Florida State the shaft out of anyone. They're the ones trying to blow the whole conference up.

Bad officiating has been happening at all Pitt games. It happened again with the FSU game and it will happen again the rest of the year. That's the level and competency of the officials showing.

Ok now talk about the missed PI at the end of the half that would've given FSU a first and goal.

That's pretty sad when you have to troll another team's board to justify something about your team. Officiating seldom if ever determines the result of a game. But you need to get a life and stay where you belong.

Reactions: mike 301
The fumble isn’t the issue on the Mumpfield play. It was the PF for grabbing the face mask BEFORE the fumble. Easy call to make. Obvious.

Pitt should’ve had a 1st & goal inside the 1 yd line.

The fumble isn’t the issue on the Mumpfield play. It was the PF for grabbing the face mask BEFORE the fumble. Easy call to make. Obvious.

It was obvious if you have the replay view from the right angle. Otherwise, from the ref’s view, it was not at all obvious.

The rule is the rule indeed.

Fumbles resulting in touchbacks is the most odd part of the FB rule book IMO, but I don’t see an alternative?

I agree that should have been the call, but you've got an official who was likely sprinting down and trying to determine if the ball crossed the goal line, while the face mask happened more on the field side, as opposed to the sideline side where we was standing. Easy one to miss.

Fumbles resulting in touchbacks is the most odd part of the FB rule book IMO, but I don’t see an alternative?

Well if the defender recovered it inbounds it is what it is. As for fumbling through the end zone... aren't forward fumbles that go out of bounds brought back to the spot of the fumble anywhere else on the field? You can't fake bobble the ball a yard forward out of bounds to pick up a first down. It's weird that the end zone would be any different. Just bring it back to the spot of the fumble. I've always thought the rule was dumb.

Unless it's a clear recovery, just move it back to the 10 with the offense retaining the ball. It's a loss of down and you lose the distance.

For example, if it's 2nd down and your RB dives for the pylon and fumbles with it going OB in the endzone, it's now 3rd and goal from the 10.

It was obvious if you have the replay view from the right angle. Otherwise, from the ref’s view, it was not at all obvious.
There’s more than 1 official on the field. It was a blatant grab. The guy in the middle of the field should’ve had a clear view.

The alternate is if the defense recovers a fumble in the endzone while being out of bounds or not establishing in bounds, should be a safety. Their status as an "out of bounds" player possessing the ball to prevent the other team from scoring a TD, should result in 2 points.

I agree that should have been the call, but you've got an official who was likely sprinting down and trying to determine if the ball crossed the goal line, while the face mask happened more on the field side, as opposed to the sideline side where we was standing. Easy one to miss.
Bull💩. The guy in the middle of the field was looking right at it. The crew is supposed to work as a team. Not in a vacuum.

Our next two games are against teams that are located significantly to the north of us. Based on what everyone says, the refs should be trying to help us win both of those games because we are located closer to the Mason-Dixon Line.
I guess we won’t hear any complaints about the refs the next two games 👍

Our next two games are against teams that are located significantly to the north of us. Based on what everyone says, the refs should be trying to help us win both of those games because we are located closer to the Mason-Dixon Line.
The chicanery this past weekend was more the ACC wants a playoff team at all costs, not some refs bitter that their great great grandpappies got stomped by Sherman.

Yea but don’t discount the power of the Rooneys and all others who hate or are biased against Pitt.

There’s more than 1 official on the field. It was a blatant grab. The guy in the middle of the field should’ve had a clear view.
I didn't see it as a blatant grab but that's just me. My guess is that the officials were so shocked, as I was, that the defender caught the receiver that all he noticed was the receiver not protecting the ball and fumbling.

So who will the biased ACC officials want to win this week. A 2-7 team or a team that's lost 5 in a row. Big decision for the ACC higher ups.

The conference wants the $$$$ FSU going to the playoff will bring in.
Conferences don't make much money from playoff teams. The conference gets $6 million for each team in the semi finals. There is no payout for the championship game, other than expenses.

By contrast, each P5 conference gets a base payout of $74 from the CFP, even if they don't make the playoff.

Ok now talk about the missed PI at the end of the half that would've given FSU a first and goal.
You can talk about all the "calls" that went against FSU, but in the last 5-6 years watching these games, the officials are beyond bad. How is a guy who is clearly out of bounds allowed to recover a ball in the endzone and be given possession? What was that a$$clown official doing so far into the Pitt bench and a mysterious 15 yard penalty appears? Listen go enjoy your a$$ whipping in the college semi-finals and we will be watching. Just remember once you are away from the ACC officials, the fun starts.

You can talk about all the "calls" that went against FSU, but in the last 5-6 years watching these games, the officials are beyond bad. How is a guy who is clearly out of bounds allowed to recover a ball in the endzone and be given possession? What was that a$$clown official doing so far into the Pitt bench and a mysterious 15 yard penalty appears? Listen go enjoy your a$$ whipping in the college semi-finals and we will be watching. Just remember once you are away from the ACC officials, the fun starts.

The recovery in the endzone was the correct call as has been posted many times. He literally didnt even need to be in bounds at all to reocover it.

I’ve had enough of the 13-9 glorification. It’s somewhat fun to tease the inbreeds on occasion. And for humiliating Pat McAfee, who is agonizing to endure for more than 15 seconds on any program.

But it was an eon ago now, and wasn’t anything great for US. It made us 5-7. It cost them a natty opportunity, well and good, but they were at least IN that position. Fans should only celebrate their team’s own accomplishments, not the denial of someone else’s.

(Yeah, I’m pretty bitter about this season 😂)

As for officiating, I suppose the axiom is true that every fanbase feels they are being screwed by officials. As for the claim that bad calls ‘even out’, it’s awful that it’s considered a valid defense; bad performance should not tolerated even IF that were true. But it’s ridiculous in the first place that college football has such a model (for each conference to provide its own officials) that is so rife with fraud.

I’ve had enough of the 13-9 glorification. It’s somewhat fun to tease the inbreeds on occasion. And for humiliating Pat McAfee, who is agonizing to endure for more than 15 seconds on any program.

But it was an eon ago now, and wasn’t anything great for US. It made us 5-7. It cost them a natty opportunity, well and good, but they were at least IN that position. Fans should only celebrate their team’s own accomplishments, not the denial of someone else’s.

(Yeah, I’m pretty bitter about this season 😂)

As for officiating, I suppose the axiom is true that every fanbase feels they are being screwed by officials. As for the claim that bad calls ‘even out’, it’s awful that it’s considered a valid defense; bad performance should not tolerated even IF that were true. But it’s ridiculous in the first place that college football has such a model (for each conference to provide its own officials) that is so rife with fraud.

I never understood why conferences employ football refs but not basketball. I dont think refs openly cheat. However, they are human. They know its better for their employer if Team X wins. This means they know they better be absolutely 100% sure of any call that goes against Team X. They cannot hurt their employer by making a 50/50 call against Team X.

I never understood why conferences employ football refs but not basketball. I dont think refs openly cheat. However, they are human. They know its better for their employer if Team X wins. This means they know they better be absolutely 100% sure of any call that goes against Team X. They cannot hurt their employer by making a 50/50 call against Team X.
That’s a generous but fair assessment. I think at a minimum there is that exact conscious realization that their bosses definitely prefer one team to win over the other. Some refs are merely more spineless and ingratiating than others in how far they take it.

But (while I dislike the glorification of it by our fans), the 13-9 game is an undeniable example of how conferences will outright ORDER officials to make favorable calls for certain teams in certain games. And that many of the officials will dutifully comply.

Why do the have-not schools that regularly get screwed tolerate it? Perhaps ours (and others like us) think that IF Pitt were ever in a natty or playoff opportunity, the ACC would give similar instructions to their refs to favor US. The problem is we’re never IN such a situation so we’ll never enjoy that advantage.

The real question to me though is always, why do gamblers and gambling houses tolerate it? I don’t gamble, but I have to guess those that do must just simply factor the likelihood into the equation of how to wager.

Last edited:
That’s a generous but fair assessment. I think at a minimum there is that exact conscious realization that their bosses definitely prefer one team to win over the other. But (while I dislike the glorification of it by our fans), the 13-9 is an undeniable example of how conferences outright order officials to make favorable calls for certain teams in certain games. Frankly I expect IF Pitt were ever in a natty or playoff opportunity, the ACC would give similar instructions to their refs to favor us. The problem is we’re never IN such a situation so we’ll never enjoy that advantage.

They obviously know their bosses are rooting for Team X. Subconsciously they know they cant screw it up. This doesn't mean they are openly cheating but they know they better be a million percent sure that was a hold or a PI on Team X. They cant make any call that could possibly go the other way because their bosses will scrutinize it and it could even cost them financially when it comes time for raises.

I didn't see it as a blatant grab but that's just me. My guess is that the officials were so shocked, as I was, that the defender caught the receiver that all he noticed was the receiver not protecting the ball and fumbling.
The defender had 2 hands Mumpfield’s face mask. To me, that’s blatant. Think that kind of thing is worth discussing. But the game’s over and it doesn't change anything.

Pitt would be an outsider in the BIG. Would be an outsider in the SEC. Was an outsider in clown show that was the Big East.

Would bethe most biased reffing in my lifetime. Saturday night surpassed 13-9 in being an absolute screw job. Funny too how nobody mentions the pitt player body slammed on the fsu sideline. I am really beginning to hate the ACC
I've never witnessed a more blatant cheating effort than 13-9. That night Pitt beat WVU and the refs.

While you’re here, do you find the Noles getting jobbed to the teams closer to Tobacco Road? Sure seems the league is biased to those clowns.

Other than the NBA I think most referees are honest and call a fair game but like any job you have your refs who aren't very good.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT