ADVERTISEMENT

An Arkansas Pitting

The right fielder had the best view of it. He was running forward and didn’t have to turn at all, so he had a clear view of the ball the whole time.

The right fielder had the best view of it. He was running forward and didn’t have to turn at all, so he had a clear view of the ball the whole time.
normally I would agree but he was to slow off the crack of the bat and never ended up making it there...you usually see the 2nd or 3rd basemen end up making these and that kid on 2nd ran right past where the ball landed. but you never know who might have called of who..

For the sake of this 2nd basemen I hope Arkansas wins tonight. If not, this kid will literally take this play to his grave. He will never forget it the rest of his life.

For the sake of this 2nd basemen I hope Arkansas wins tonight. If not, this kid will literally take this play to his grave. He will never forget it the rest of his life.
yep, poor kid's last name is Shaddy...can see that being turned into some Razorback saying somewhere down the line..."Our damn shaddy quarterback does not even get time to get off one of his lame shaddy azzed throws because out line plays like shad for three quarters..I'm getting sick of this shad.

I have been away from baseball a long time, but that looks like a very difficult play for the infielders catching the ball over their heads. The RF would have the best play there. Did he lose it in the lights?

I have been away from baseball a long time, but that looks like a very difficult play for the infielders catching the ball over their heads. The RF would have the best play there. Did he lose it in the lights?
The RF was playing off the line, but still should have gotten there and taken charge of the ball. It is a lot easier to come in on a ball.

the coach reaction was telling. He looked like a loss was inevitable

A general rule of thumb is that the player coming forward - in this case, the right fielder - has to make that play. But it's easy for us to make that call since we're not involved.

The video that I watched didn't have sound...did the crowd noise drown-out the player who was calling for it?

When I played, and later when I coached (thru Legion, so not quite the same level as D1) the rule was "if a Middle Infielder could get to the ball it was his unless he called himself off". Break that rule and you would sit for a while. So, unless he stated otherwise it was the 2nd's ball, since he could clearly get to the ball.

2nd baseman blew the whole thing up - it was him or nothing the way he went after it

The right fielder has to make that play - it’s his call. Like someone mentioned the player who’s coming forward is in charge - he could have easily called the second baseman off. Now it’s pretty routine for the second baseman to make that play but that’s only if the right fielder is not in play. As soon as it hit the ground I said that’s going to cost Arkansas. Sure enough lost the game and then got shutout last night...they’ll never get over this. They’ll eventually be able to deal with it but never get over it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT