ADVERTISEMENT

Another Heinz Field/Acrisure fan death

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
  • Sad
Reactions: HailToPitt725
Problem is the drinking starts hours before the game and just continues during the game. You can’t monitor the before stuff but can limit what goes on in the stadium. But they make so much money on booze.
You can ban tailgating by not opening the lots early. I know, I know, its fun and its a tradition. But drunkenness is a problem at NFL games. Personally, I wouldn't go to that extreme but I'd do what the EPL does and only allow alcohol consumption in the concourse areas. That will limit excessive purchases I believe

You can ban tailgating by not opening the lots early. I know, I know, its fun and its a tradition. But drunkenness is a problem at NFL games. Personally, I wouldn't go to that extreme but I'd do what the EPL does and only allow alcohol consumption in the concourse areas. That will limit excessive purchases I believe

Two people out of millions? That's like shutting down all the roads after a bad accident. At the end of the day, these things just happen, and I guess you have to be on control of yourself to some degree. I don't hear too many stories of some drunk guy attacking a sober and unwilling, non-instigating participant at these games. At least they're a lot fewer.

I'm really going out on a limb here and guessing he was drunk. Sober people don't fall off escalators.
So years ago at some theme park in Florida. It must have been Universal or wherever Nickelodeon was stationed at the time. There was a long line of people wanting to get into one of the slime shows and it required that the queue take an escalator down. Well one of the kids got tangled up at the bottom and fell down and was laying at bottom of escalator. Some smart person hit the emergency stop button. However these two adult idiots got so frightened by the stop that they turned around and started running back up the escalator knocking people over and on the ground because they were so frightened. They knocked over about a half dozen people before someone stopped them. Nobody had been drinking then so you cannot presume at all what happened.

yes, go to European soccer for brawl drunkenness' advice...

So years ago at some theme park in Florida. It must have been Universal or wherever Nickelodeon was stationed at the time. There was a long line of people wanting to get into one of the slime shows and it required that the queue take an escalator down. Well one of the kids got tangled up at the bottom and fell down and was laying at bottom of escalator. Some smart person hit the emergency stop button. However these two adult idiots got so frightened by the stop that they turned around and started running back up the escalator knocking people over and on the ground because they were so frightened. They knocked over about a half dozen people before someone stopped them. Nobody had been drinking then so you cannot presume at all what happened.
Cool story. There is a chance this guy wasnt drunk. But its a very small chance

Reactions: Duneaux Harm
About 1 month ago, a woman died at Bronco stadium in Denver. She tried sliding down the railing on the escalator.

• Haha
Reactions: Pitt79
There was a guy who died at 3 rivers trying to jump between escalators. He was drunk and was a young guy. Not the first time it’s happened here

There was a guy who died at 3 rivers trying to jump between escalators. He was drunk and was a young guy. Not the first time it’s happened here
That drunk FSU student fell out of BofA Stadium about 8 years ago. I think he survived though. There was that mom and son who fell to their death out of Petco Park but that was a murder/suicide.

i think a younger guy from upper st. clair jumped off the upper deck at three rivers stadium at a Grateful Dead concert in mid 90s and his kneecaps popped out. i heard this, never verified so it could have never happened..

The family was at the game. They must have gotten into an argument and the woman did it with her husband looking on. She seemed to have severe mental problems though, as you'd imagine.
pisses me off when they involve the kids. just off yourself and leave the kids out of it.

I never use those escalators for reasons similar to this. Any manner of drunkards, fighting, or just plain pushing and shoving can easily happen on those at that place and over the side ya go.
Exactly. Whether or not the man was drunk, I don’t use those escalators for the exact same reason after a game.

Just speculation here,

But i do know that HF was not built to the original specs including the removal of an escalator from the north end of the stadium, certainly as a cost cutting move. (I believe that escalator has since been installed?)

I wonder if this kind of thing could be controlled if MORE escalators were available instead of the limited number in place.

The NFL needs to do something about the drunkenness at NFL games. The weekly fan brawls are out of hands and this poor Steeler fan seems to have fallen off an escalator.

This brings the total fan deaths to 2 if we count that Brentwood guy who died in his sleep after being knocked out at the Steelers/Cowboys game
No they don't need to do anything. PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY- let it happen to them if they can't be responsible, I don't want to be forced to be sober just because SOME OTHER PEOPLE can't handle their drinking.

You can ban tailgating by not opening the lots early.
Then there's no reason to ever go to a game ever again, you see it better on TV anyways. It's too much effort and trouble and cost to go there in person if all you get to do is see the game that's better viewed on TV, the only reason for going in person is the tailgate party and the social aspect, take that away, and I can't see it worth the money or effort to show up in person just in time to walk straight to your seat totally sober.

Last edited:
No they don't need to do anything. PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY- let it happen to them if they can't be responsible, I don't want to be forced to be sober just because SOME OTHER PEOPLE can't handle their drinking.

Yes but I think that's a bit different in a crowded place where drunk people can affect others. Especially when those other people are likely paying many hundreds to be there.

Reactions: Dukesfan1
Yes but I think that's a bit different in a crowded place where drunk people can affect others. Especially when those other people are likely paying many hundreds to be there.
Yeah, but not all "drunk people" affect others, 95% of the drunk people don't bother anyone or do anything bad at all, they may be above the legal limit and even double that and you walk right by them and notice nothing because they're fine and not bothering anyone. So because 2 drunks die out of tens of millions that go in and out of these gates every year, everyone who is drinking and not causing an issue, the vast majority, has to be punished?

i think a younger guy from upper st. clair jumped off the upper deck at three rivers stadium at a Grateful Dead concert in mid 90s and his kneecaps popped out. i heard this, never verified so it could have never happened..
There was the Grateful Dead adjacent death at the Furthur concert at the Petersen Events Center where the deceased ran through one of the plate glass windows on the top floor.

Then there's no reason to ever go to a game ever again, you see it better on TV anyways. It's too much effort and trouble and cost to go there in person if all you get to do is see the game that's better viewed on TV, the only reason for going in person is the tailgate party and the social aspect, take that away, and I can't see it worth the money or effort to show up in person just in time to walk straight to your seat totally sober.
I walk straight to my seat totally sober every game for the last 20 some years. I guess I'm the exception.

Yeah, but not all "drunk people" affect others, 95% of the drunk people don't bother anyone or do anything bad at all, they may be above the legal limit and even double that and you walk right by them and notice nothing because they're fine and not bothering anyone. So because 2 drunks die out of tens of millions that go in and out of these gates every year, everyone who is drinking and not causing an issue, the vast majority, has to be punished?

I think it was in Buffalo where the guy fell out of the upper deck and landed on another fan. They both lived but the guy below had life-altering injuries. And then you've got the lesser instances where people are vomiting or just being extremely loud and disrespectful to the people around them.

I'm not sure what the answer is. I haven't been to a Steelers game in well over a decade after witnessing people pouring beers on each other, vomit all over the bathrooms, etc... I'm sure a lot of other fans don't attend because of the same thing.

Do you think the name of the band had anything to do with it, or just listening to their music for 2 hours?

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
ADVERTISEMENT