ADVERTISEMENT

Any Pitt baseballers get drafted?

I’m sure others know more than I do, but both draft positions to me indicate a pretty strong chance that both will sign.

Considering West was already drafted last year, I would say so.
A 14 round jump is a pretty nice year for him. I could see Hammer making the jump inside the top 10 rounds with another good summer on the Cape and a more consistent year in the ACC, but a 13th round selection is well within signing territory. Not sure if it makes too much of a difference in terms of money.

Considering West was already drafted last year, I would say so.

Is West considered a fourth year junior or a senior? He's been hurt numerous times, and I thought Pitt listed him as a fourth year junior. However MLB lists him as a fourth year senior on their web site. Might just be a technicality with getting a redshirt to play another year of college, assuming he wants one.

I could see Hammer making the jump inside the top 10 rounds with another good summer on the Cape and a more consistent year in the ACC, but a 13th round selection is well within signing territory. Not sure if it makes too much of a difference in terms of money.

A 13th round draft pick as a junior has much, much more leverage than a round 4-10 draft pick senior does. All those college seniors that you see picked in those rounds are guys that MLB teams are picking so that they can offer them nominal signing bonuses, in the neighborhood of $10,000, so that they can use the rest of their slot money to sign their high priority, especially high school, draft picks.

A 13th round junior can at least say "give me more money or I'll go back to school for another year". A 5th round senior can pretty much only say "where's the pen?"

Is West considered a fourth year junior or a senior? He's been hurt numerous times, and I thought Pitt listed him as a fourth year junior. However MLB lists him as a fourth year senior on their web site. Might just be a technicality with getting a redshirt to play another year of college, assuming he wants one.

He was a third year sophomore last year, thus making him eligible to be picked.

He was in the same recruiting class at Yaya Chentouf. Yaya was a true junior last season year, West took a redshirt due to his arm & knee injuries instead of getting started right off, like Yaya did, so redshirt junior year adds right. Hammer was in the 2016 recruiting class, but never took the redshirt.

MLB got crossed up with him missing two years to injury.

I thought there was an outside chance that Popa and/or Yanni would have gotten picked late given Popa’s really good year at the plate and Yanni’s demonstrated power over the past two seasons.

The pitching staff has a few question marks - Corcoran pitched really well down the stretch, and I think they’re hoping Ronan can emerge as a solid rotation lefty, but losing West and Hammer would definitely leave some holes - but for the first year really since joining the ACC I think this lineup can compete in conference play.

Here is how far we have to go: UCLA and Vanderbilt both had 13 players drafted. When you consider that freshman and sophomores aren’t eligible for the draft, that is incredible. One of the drafted UCLA players was a RHP who pitched 2/3 of an inning total in 2018 and 2019 due to injuries. But, he was the #3 HS prospect when he was a senior, was drafted in the 1st round and didn’t sign. He lost a lot of money by not signing then, as he went in the 14th round this year.

I don’t know about Vanderbilt, but UCLA also has 7 freshman and sophomores who were drafted out of HS, including one 1st rounder. That’s 20 drafted players on the team. Of the 35 players on the roster, 33 were listed in Perfect Game’s Top 500 when they were in HS.

It’s geography and we never will come close to having that kind of roster. Yet, UCLA right now is losing to Michigan in the Super Regional. What Pitt can do under Bell is recruit a top flight pitching staff and put together a position player lineup that can make us a contender in the ACC. The number of pitchers we have had drafted recently and their success in the Minors should help Bell recruit.

Reactions: PA_Panther
Hammer signed this morning. Not unexpected, but the longer it dragged on without him, the thought creeped into my head that maybe he’d stick for another year.

Looks like we’ll be filling two weekend rotation spots next year with Corcoran being the only returnee. I’m sure the staff would love for Ronan - as a lefty - to step up and take one of those spots, and there should be a nice competition for the last one with Cappas, Devereux, and a host of others. Not too concerned with Oakes’ ability to develop a competent rotation, though. They’ll figure it out.

ADVERTISEMENT