ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else rewatching the Wire?

So many new series that are good, why rewatch that, albeit a top 5 show of all time?

Ozark just came out with Season 3 yesterday

I started up again with Ozark. How about young guy sleeping with Darlene
Snell....GOOD GOD! On the other hand....disrespect the family and she'll
blow your head off; literally.

Season 2, episode 1

Ziggy, in charge at the Clement St Cafe.

McNulty, catching a floater

Bunk, working on putting down Bird.

Frank Sabotka, not yet aware of the girls in the can.

Great medicine in these times .
I want to. I watched it originally on HBO I think. Where can I get it now?

I watched a few episodes this past week. There's a Wire channel on one of the apps I use, so Wire is always running. Every now and then I may check a few episodes and can never get tired of that show.

Season 2 is underrated. I remember when it first premiered I was so confused and kept wondering if I was on the right channel. It took a while for the season to develop but I liked it.

Ziggy may have been borderline retarded.

Fun fact that the actor playing Stringer Bell, Idris Elba, is actually British. That still amazes me to this day because I can never hear any hint of a British accent when he's playing Stringer Bell. Now that is superb acting.

The actor playing McNulty is Irish and there are times that I hear his Irish accent during the show and the show didn't seem to shy away from Jimmy McNulty's Irish heritage, so I guess it worked.

Fun fact that the actor playing Stringer Bell, Idris Elba, is actually British. That still amazes me to this day because I can never hear any hint of a British accent when he's playing Stringer Bell. Now that is superb acting.

The actor playing McNulty is Irish and there are times that I hear his Irish accent during the show and the show didn't seem to shy away from Jimmy McNulty's Irish heritage, so I guess it worked.
Seemingly half the Walking Dead origional cast were english, you see that a lot these days.

Seemingly half the Walking Dead origional cast were english, you see that a lot these days.
There's a great show on the CW called "All American" about a high school football player from South Central LA going to school in Beverly Hills. The lead actor is British and it's amazing how he switched accents.

Supposedly, the claim on Twitter is that the British actors are cheaper.

Reactions: Jeffburgh

There are so many British actors. Hell, 11 year old Millie Bobby Brown on Stranger Things is British and she manages to have an American accent so it is not like you have to be Olivier to figure it out.

You would be shocked to see the number of actors/actresses from the UK or Australia.

I can't believe it........I got over come with dread yesterday from all of the news. It did, it really got me. I took the dog for a run (she took me) and then cut the grass. That bit of normalcy helped. Then............I bingest Stranger Things Season 1 and totally enjoyed it. I will do Season 2 starting tonight.

It was pure escapism.

He starred on a BBC show called Luther where he is extremely British. Pretty good detective show.

McNulty being Irish in real life is wild. But here's the wilder thing, so is Mayor Carcetti (aka Littlefinger)!

There's a great show on the CW called "All American" about a high school football player from South Central LA going to school in Beverly Hills. The lead actor is British and it's amazing how he switched accents.

Supposedly, the claim on Twitter is that the British actors are cheaper.

A lot of British actors are better trained than ours. They have a more established theater and drama world and their actors come up learning real training in front of live audiences which is absolutely the hardest way to do it. They also study acting in college. The USA just doesn't have anything like that.

American actors are typically famous simply because they're good looking.

A lot of British actors are better trained than ours. They have a more established theater and drama world and their actors come up learning real training in front of live audiences which is absolutely the hardest way to do it. They also study acting in college. The USA just doesn't have anything like that.

American actors are typically famous simply because they're good looking.
True and lets face it, athletics are much less important over there than here, which is why you see more actors and musicians.

Also, McNulty I believe played Ebeneezer Scrooge's nephew Fred in one of the Christmas Carol depictions in the 90's or early 2000's.

He also played a writer (American) in Showtime's The Affair.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
True and lets face it, athletics are much less important over there than here, which is why you see more actors and musicians.

Also, McNulty I believe played Ebeneezer Scrooge's nephew Fred in one of the Christmas Carol depictions in the 90's or early 2000's.

I thought The Affair was pretty good.

The wife loved it too

Reactions: bubba31

McNulty was also the traitorous Greek orator in 300.

I always wonder why these shows have to import foreign actors for shows like this? Can't you find a local black guy with a natural 'hood accent? Or TWD hiring all these English people to learn southern accents?

He starred on a BBC show called Luther where he is extremely British. Pretty good detective show.

McNulty being Irish in real life is wild. But here's the wilder thing, so is Mayor Carcetti (aka Littlefinger)!
Yes, I knew about Luther but have never watched. Will have to check it out sometime.

Daniel Ezra, who plays Spencer James on All American, is in a British show on Amazon called Undercover. That show was very good and keeps you hooked. I'm surprised that there was only one season.

Didn't know Carcetti was also Irish. He hasn't appeared on my radar since the show ended.

Yes, I knew about Luther but have never watched. Will have to check it out sometime.

Daniel Ezra, who plays Spencer James on All American, is in a British show on Amazon called Undercover. That show was very good and keeps you hooked. I'm surprised that there was only one season.

Didn't know Carcetti was also Irish. He hasn't appeared on my radar since the show ended.
I just saw Carcetti (the actor who played him) somewhere, I can't recall.

Season 2, episode 1

Ziggy, in charge at the Clement St Cafe.

McNulty, catching a floater

Bunk, working on putting down Bird.

Frank Sabotka, not yet aware of the girls in the can.

Great medicine in these times .
Started yesterday. Can't believe series number one was in 2002. Still can't believe Avon Barksdale posts on the lair LOL.

Watching The Wire for the first time, something I’ve been meaning to do for 15 years. Good stuff.

Between that and Tiger King, my evenings are solid for a while.

I watched a few episodes this past week. There's a Wire channel on one of the apps I use, so Wire is always running. Every now and then I may check a few episodes and can never get tired of that show.

Season 2 is underrated. I remember when it first premiered I was so confused and kept wondering if I was on the right channel. It took a while for the season to develop but I liked it.

Ziggy may have been borderline retarded.
As a first time watcher about 4 episodes into season 2, I’d have to say I likes season 1 a whole lot better. The whole street level drug dealing aspect to it was fascinating and realistic. So far the premise of season 2 seems less plausible and the longshoremen are a poor substitute for the street dealers as far as interesting bad guys go. Also the whole beef between the police captain and the head of the union over a stained glass window in the catholic parish aspect is just total nonsense. Still good TV, no doubt about it.

As a first time watcher about 4 episodes into season 2, I’d have to say I likes season 1 a whole lot better. The whole street level drug dealing aspect to it was fascinating and realistic. So far the premise of season 2 seems less plausible and the longshoremen are a poor substitute for the street dealers as far as interesting bad guys go. Also the whole beef between the police captain and the head of the union over a stained glass window in the catholic parish aspect is just total nonsense. Still good TV, no doubt about it.
Yes, those were my initial thoughts too when first watching season 2.

I didn't appreciate Season 2 until years later. Season 2 is just one part of a bigger story in which the writer is trying to convey about what contributes to inner city problems. Season 2 delves into how the drugs get to the city, thus the port setting.

And I agree that feud over the painting was petty, but that does happen in real life in which folks get targeted by the police over something petty. Also, depending on the amount of influence one person may have to target that person.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
Watching The Wire for the first time, something I’ve been meaning to do for 15 years. Good stuff.

Between that and Tiger King, my evenings are solid for a while.
Yes. I am done even watching all of these replays of sports. I am unplugging. I limit my news. I don't even care much about the weather, we aren't going anywhere. I don't need to watch a 1999 Penguin game or even a Pitt game.

I am watching new series or rewatching things like Stranger Things and the Wire. I don't want news and interruptions and don't need hourly updates on number of cases or deaths. It's not healthy. And god, I really feel for NYC, but I don't live there.

i think the main premise of season 2 (and the genius of David Simon), is this season is devoted to how the drugs get to Baltimore in the first place.

And not to give away anything, but what transpires in season two plays a vital role in the development of the story down the road, particularity with Omar and the Greeks.

Yes season 2 sets up the whole "the system is effed and it takes an assload of hours of tv to explain why" theme of the wire that takes place during the 5 seasons.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT