ADVERTISEMENT

Are Pitt and PSU the 2 most pointless football programs in the NCAA?

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Other than a once a generation one-off season, is there anything more predictable than a Pitt or Penn State football season?

We know Pitt is going to go somewhere between 6-6 and 8-4. We know PSU will go somewhere between 8-4 and 10-2. We know PSU will lose to OSU and Michigan, have 8 easy games where they recruited far superior players than their opponent and 2 50/50 games.

Its hard to be a fan of these programs as neither ever seem to playing for anything significant. I guess that changes with the new CFP as a 10-2 PSU can potentially make it.

The Big Ten expansion changes things for PSU. Their seasons are going to be vastly different depending on who they play. If they don't play OSU and Michigan every year anymore they could have years with 9 cream puffs and 3 50/50 games.

I don't agree about Pitt though. Our games are almost always close. We usually have 10 close games a year. Penn State has 3 or 4. They get crushed twice, then win 6 snoozers agaisnt awful teams.

Off the top of my head Colorado, Texas Tech and Northwestern are pointlesser

Maybe. But are they as consistent as Pitt and PSU? Pitt and PSU are amazingly consistent with their record. That's what I'm getting at. You know how their seasons will go before hand. Even next year, people are predicting some epic fall due to the schedule. Nope. 6-6 or 7-5. Its almost impossible for us to do worse than that.

We're consistent on paper. But almost every season I can point to less than five - hell, make it three - plays that would have given us a great season. Can anybody else say that? We're the ultimate tease.

We're consistent on paper. But almost every season I can point to less than five - hell, make it three - plays that would have given us a great season. Can anybody else say that? We're the ultimate tease.
Every year we play 4-5 games that come down to one possession. We play a few more that are competitive but won by two scores. We usually spank one or two of the sorrier teams on our schedule. About once every two years or so we get blown out ourselves.

If so, then what does it say about you—a closet PSU fan who posts all day on a Pitt message board?

Talk about a pointless existence.
I’m confused… I though he was a WVU fan? It would make sense. He’s suggesting that Pitt & PSU are pointless football programs, but no mention of WVU… I say he’s a hoopie fan….

I mean in our own lens sure, it seems that way, but most other programs could consider themselves “pointless” in any number of ways as well. Such is life where only a solid handful of teams really have a chance to win it all.

It’s all relative to your expectations. Duke and Kansas fans are probably pretty happy overall with their 2022 seasons given they’re usually bad. And of course we were thrilled with last season since it bucked that typical 6-8 win trend.

Pretty true actually. That's kind of my point though. Its a little wacky to root for these teams as hard as we do when their records are the same almost every year.
Our pain is nothing compared to those poor, poor Alabama fans that have to sit through constant 10+ win seasons...

Our pain is nothing compared to those poor, poor Alabama fans that have to sit through constant 10+ win seasons...

Winning can get boring too. Look at Dixon Pitt. Pitt fans started skipping the regular season because they new they'd win 20 games. What was the point?

I can see SMF's premise to a point. For all of State Penn's bravado, they have done very little in 36 years. While neither have we, we don't thump our chests year in and year out.

Outside of a few programs, you could make this argument about most of college football is "pointless". The illusion of competition is sold but most programs are always going to be somewhere below championship level. Take your occasional conference championship birth and enjoy it for what it is. Expanded playoff just adds a few more blowouts to the TV schedule.

OSU, Bama, and Georgia are the only teams relevant every year from Day One. Then there's a bunch of interlopers, who quickly get weeded out by the beginning of October. Teams 4-5 may change, but they are from a very small group.

The thing is, misery loves company. We all accept our fates. The CFP expansion won't really change things much, other than the perception of the fans of a few more teams that deep down know that even if their team gets in, they will wind up crushed more often than not. Only the final 4 teams will ultimately matter.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
The only difference between us and the nitters this year is they one all of the games they were supposed to win and we didn’t. If we had only lost to Tennessee and North Carolina we would be sitting inside the top 20- we should never lose to GT and rarely to Louisville

Reactions: pittdan77
The only difference between us and the nitters this year is they one all of the games they were supposed to win and we didn’t. If we had only lost to Tennessee and North Carolina we would be sitting inside the top 20- we should never lose to GT and rarely to Louisville
Well, PSU also has a roster full of top 20 or better players. You're going to win a lot of games with just a talent advantage.

The original hypothesis is flawed because most teams are consistently within a 2 game win window. Thats why people complain about the same teams on top every year.

Other than a once a generation one-off season, is there anything more predictable than a Pitt or Penn State football season?

We know Pitt is going to go somewhere between 6-6 and 8-4. We know PSU will go somewhere between 8-4 and 10-2. We know PSU will lose to OSU and Michigan, have 8 easy games where they recruited far superior players than their opponent and 2 50/50 games.

Its hard to be a fan of these programs as neither ever seem to playing for anything significant. I guess that changes with the new CFP as a 10-2 PSU can potentially make it.
and here I thought Penn State was 7-6 last year and 4-5 (about 5-7 when adjusted) in 2020..

I would say no, they are not pointless. However, I would also add that while some of your posts are interesting and somewhat thought provoking, this post is in fact, pointless.

and here I thought Penn State was 7-6 last year and 4-5 (about 5-7 when adjusted) in 2020..

Covid doesn't count but what the eff, PSU was 7-6 last year? I would have thought 9-3. Good lord, he got a billion dollar extension after THAT? I guess I totally forgot about what they did last season. That is how irrelevant they are in the sport

As I was saying.

PSU falls to 0-1. Have 1 game left. Lose that and end up in the Rose Bowl. Lol

Lol Penn St got a garbage time TD? They’re the best garbage time team in the country.

Edit: didn’t realize this thread was bumped up and meant to post this in another one involving them.

Last edited:
“Point” less indeed.

Duzz has done the impossible. Its just about impossible to win less than 6 games at Pitt. You have your FCS, a few league creampuffs, amd many other winnable games. Yet for the 2 time in the last 3 Pickett-less seasons, he is posting a losing record...because he's a bad coach and a worse recruiter.

Hit on PSU. Missed on Pitt. Few things in life are as predictable as PSU football

Duzz has done the impossible. Its just about impossible to win less than 6 games at Pitt. You have your FCS, a few league creampuffs, amd many other winnable games. Yet for the 2 time in the last 3 Pickett-less seasons, he is posting a losing record...because he's a bad coach and a worse recruiter.
You greatly overestimate this program. For the majority of the past 80 years we have been the cream puff. With the exception of maybe 10 seasons over that time, cream puffs have been circling Pitt as a rare winnable game on their schedule. This season is closer to the mean than the rare 10-win season is. This isn't a good program.

I’m about tired of “Pitt fans” constantly bashing the program, its relevance, and “why bother?”

It my Alma Mater, through good and bad and a source of hope and expectations every fall. If someone needs to be a front runner, stop calling yourself a fan. You aren’t.

Be one of those clowns that puts on a brand new ballcap after the championship/ bowl
Season and wears the champions colors, who
Meant nothing to them and never will. They’re just front runners, with price tag still dangling from the cap.

ADVERTISEMENT