ADVERTISEMENT

Are we recruiting well enough?

sappycrease

Redshirt
Oct 12, 2015
I don't want to be that guy (freaking out in August) but is anyone getting nervous about recruiting? We're currently rated the 61st class (rivals) and are behind 10 ACC teams.

I understand that Narduzzi has traditionally closed hard since arriving here but his past 2 seasons he could hang his hat on two 8-win seasons. With the injuries/suspensions we're seeing pile up before the season has even started, what if he takes a step back and we only see 5-6-7 wins? Are we going to be in danger of taking a step back as a program?

Maybe I'm looking too hard at the stars but am I wrong to think we're not matching the recruiting prowess of other schools in our region? PSU, Tech, WVU, UMD.

Recruiting takes a village. It's not on the coach alone because Narduzzi IS talented in this regard, yet he can't turn the world on with his smile alone.

No, with elite recruiting, it takes more. Address the administrators on funding, amenable to booster involvement, reign in excess discipline, more interest in retaining once in a lifetime assistants etc. Recruits and their handlers want evidence of these things. The actual head coach is gravy, in many ways. Witness how a Chryst or a Dixon can leave here and immediately start recruiting better.

They (most immediately by means of apologists on the board) will tell you to donate a dumpload more money and shut your ungrateful yap.

You (rightfully) tell them this is the dog eat dog entertainment business, not la di dah fantasy land of scholarly athletics, and wise consumers don't give dumploads of money to entities that squander it with losing strategies.

They'll ignore you and continue their oblivious ways and we'll go on to post 6-6 or thereabouts seasons.

Reactions: cdmg and cruzer
Duzz capitalized hist first year on "the new coach recruiting bump". Just like Maryland did last year. As a new coach you can sell hope/change to the recruits. You can sell competing for National championships and full stadiums. After 3 years the results will show whether that is true or not. It's important to finish this season in the top 25 and show progress with players that he's recruited to Pitt.

No, but PN recruits at right about the same level as Chryst, High Octane and Wanny.

We go through this every f'ing year. It's August. We can critique in February. My god. Last year we out recruited WVU and were right in the ball park with Tech.

WVU right now has 3 more recruits and we are still in the ballpark. Look at the points.

PSU is just killing it now. They are a factory. We won't match them.

Can we do better. Sure. But are we going to be in the top 20 every year, no. We will be lucky to hit that occasionally.

We are a 7 to 8 win program....and we are recruiting as such.

So yeah. ..we are recruiting well enough to insure the 7-8 wins will continue.

It all boils down to Pitt hiring the best recruiters they can buy. Who can also coach!

Hire young hungry guys like Hafley who has tremendous ties to fertile areas that produce a ton of talent. Exactly how we got many Jersey kids with offers from everywhere. Exactly how Kentucky keeps out recruiting us. They have a couple dynamic recruiters on staff. Thus, being able to recruit at a level they shouldn't be.

The most important reason these kids pick a school is strictly because of the coaching staff and the coaches recruiting them. If the coaches can make a player very comfortable around them. 1a

Plus, show a recruit evidence they have the ability to get them to the next level is 1b.

Then sell them on how well they fit into the scheme they are running. And show them exactly how he is extremely important for their system to work.1c

All the rest is a distant 2nd in most of their eyes.

Boils down to who has the best salesman selling themselves and the program. Sadly, guys with this type of salesmanship costs money

Reactions: androcles
Team rankings are based on a mathematical formula that assumes a 20 member class. If you have fewer than 20 recruits committed, you get hit. We have 11 seniors, we'll likely take 16 or 17. This year's overall ranking is not going to be good.

But, the quality of recruits is right there with UNC, VT, and Louisville. We're always going to be trailing FSU, Miami, and Clemson.

Reciting could be better and will be by the end, but class size alone is going to put the ceiling for this class between 35 and 40 overall.

Reactions: androcles
My short answer is that recruiting has been average....maybe not bad considering the turmoil, but not at a level that will allow us to compete consistently with the top programs in the conference. Narduzzi and staff need to step up their recruiting game...more high end difference makers and fewer 2 star reaches.

Cruzer

Reactions: cashisking884
I think Coach Duzz's recruiting has been excellent and he's put together the best overall roster we've had in many moons.

You have to realize that when Coach Duzz and staff are recruiting the really elite players -- players who can have it all -- there's one box that doesn't get checked off for Pitt. That box is a full stadium for home games. I'm convinced this factor keeps Pitt from beating out schools like UPS and VT for some of the recruits.

This is a big hurdle for Coach Duzz and staff to overcome - especially with the 4-stars who have played in front of adoring crowds for most of their football lives...

Go Pitt.

My short answer is that recruiting has been average....maybe not bad considering the turmoil, but not at a level that will allow us to compete consistently with the top programs in the conference. Narduzzi and staff need to step up their recruiting game...more high end difference makers and fewer 2 star reaches.

Cruzer

I think recruits also seeing only 25k in the stands after we beat Clemson and having one of the most dynamic offenses in the nation while in the midst of finishing in the top 25 hurts significantly.

In each of his two full, complete classes we've been around 30 overall and one recruit better or worse than UNC and VT. If he continues this for the next few years we'll be well-positioned to win the division and then it's one game to decide the conference and he's already shown he can beat the atlantic's best in one game.

We go through this every f'ing year. It's August. We can critique in February. My god. Last year we out recruited WVU and were right in the ball park with Tech.

WVU right now has 3 more recruits and we are still in the ballpark. Look at the points.

Can we do better. Sure. But are we going to be in the top 20 every year, no. We will be lucky to hit that occasionally.
Why not? That isn't that hard with a very good HC and staff. I don't even think we are that far off from that now.

I don't want to be that guy (freaking out in August) but is anyone getting nervous about recruiting? We're currently rated the 61st class (rivals) and are behind 10 ACC teams.

I understand that Narduzzi has traditionally closed hard since arriving here but his past 2 seasons he could hang his hat on two 8-win seasons. With the injuries/suspensions we're seeing pile up before the season has even started, what if he takes a step back and we only see 5-6-7 wins? Are we going to be in danger of taking a step back as a program?

Maybe I'm looking too hard at the stars but am I wrong to think we're not matching the recruiting prowess of other schools in our region? PSU, Tech, WVU, UMD.

We are recruiting well enough to have 6-8 wins per year.

We are not recruiting well enough to have 9-12 wins per year. Anyone who thinks otherwise is foolish.

I think recruits also seeing only 25k in the stands after we beat Clemson and having one of the most dynamic offenses in the nation while in the midst of finishing in the top 25 hurts significantly.
Not a jab at you. But I don't agree. Recruits see a 8-5 season. Thus, it's up to the coaches and the current recruiters on staff to sell the fact why that 8-5 season happened after beating 2 good teams.

Plus, fans in seats is down the list when a kid picks a school. Teams like Baylor, TCU, Stanford, Oregon, and other programs who out recruit us get as many fans at their games as Pitt does.

It all boils down to how good your staff is in selling the program and how comfortable they are able to make recruits feel being coached by them. Heck Wanny had 3 or 4 recruiting classes ranked between 25-30 playing handi capped in the big east.

I was around a lot of kids who were getting recruited by a ton of schools. During combines, 7 on 7 tournaments. I never heard a kid say I am picking a school because they get a certain amount of fans to games. Nine out of ten talked about what coaches they felt the most comfortable around and how they felt they could get them to the next level

Reactions: anon_vmuicqnzlyp3u
Not a jab at you. But I don't agree. Recruits see a 8-5 season. Thus, it's up to the coaches and the current recruiters on staff to sell the fact why that 8-5 season happened after beating 2 good teams.

Plus, fans in seats is down the list when a kid picks a school. Teams like Baylor, TCU, Stanford, Oregon, and other programs who out recruit us get as many fans at their games as Pitt does.

It all boils down to how good your staff is in selling the program and how comfortable they are able to make recruits feel being coached by them. Heck Wanny had 3 or 4 recruiting classes ranked between 25-30 playing handi capped in the big east.

I was around a lot of kids who were getting recruited by a ton of schools. During combines, 7 on 7 tournaments. I never heard a kid say I am picking a school because they get a certain amount of fans to games. Nine out of ten talked about what coaches they felt the most comfortable around and how they felt they could get them to the next level
You must be joking if you are trying to compare the gameday environments at Pitt with Oregon. It is not the number of fans, but the environment inside the stadium that impacts a recruit.

There are plenty of elite recruits that have stated game day atmosphere matters to them.

It's not the end all be all but it certainly helps.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
You must be joking if you are trying to compare the gameday environments at Pitt with Oregon. It is not the number of fans, but the environment inside the stadium that impacts a recruit.
You create good environments by winning football games. The schools I mentioned do not get a lot more fans to their games than Pitt. Which another poster said is a big factor ( amount of fans at games).

Again, Wanny had 3 or 4 classes ranked between 25-30. All the while having to sell the big east conference which was on life support. Now our staff has the ACC to sell. With 25 million more a year to spend to increase the recruiting budget. No reason why this staff can do just as good if not better.

No

And Big mouth Frankie is kicking our arse.
He's not kicking our arse. It's just reality regardless of who is coaching at each school. We arent going to out recruit PSU until we become a perennial Top 10-15 program which wont happen until we get better recruits which wont happen until we win 10-11 games a year which wont happen until we get better recruits..... see the cycle here?

Reactions: NJ Lion
7 posts.... Wow...
He's not kicking our arse. It's just reality regardless of who is coaching at each school. We arent going to out recruit PSU until we become a perennial Top 10-15 program which wont happen until we get better recruits which wont happen until we win 10-11 games a year which wont happen until we get better recruits..... see the cycle here?
correct.. he is destroying us...

In case our enabling visitors can't use google, here are the important dates.

NLI Signing Dates for Prospective Student-Athletes Signing 2017-18 and Enrolling 2018-19
Sport (s) Initial Signing Date Final Signing Date

Football (Early Period for Division I) December 20, 2017 December 22, 2017
Football (Midyear JC Transfer) December 20, 2017 January 15, 2018
Football (Regular Period) February 7, 2018 April 1, 2018

200.gif

You can't be serious.

Reactions: freddietee511
You create good environments by winning football games. The schools I mentioned do not get a lot more fans to their games than Pitt. Which another poster said is a big factor ( amount of fans at games).

Again, Wanny had 3 or 4 classes ranked between 25-30. All the while having to sell the big east conference which was on life support. Now our staff has the ACC to sell. With 25 million more a year to spend to increase the recruiting budget. No reason why this staff can do just as good if not better.

According to 247 composite rankings Wanny had 3 straight classes ranked between #16-#21 (2006-2008). So it can be done. Winning the coastal would go a long way. Also keeping an offensive coordinator longer than 1 season

It sure doesn't help, but great recruiters overcome obstacles and get it done.

Cruzer

Look at the bright side. This nonsense usually starts in May.

Reactions: H2P-2007
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT