ADVERTISEMENT

Article on inner city soccer in the ATL

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndic...-the-black-soccer-capital-of-america.amp.html

I have always said Miami and Atlanta are the 2 worst sports towns in America. I was flabbergasted that MLS was going to expand to those towns. Atlanta lost 2 NHL teams, attendance for Braves, Hawks, and GT are really bad unless those teams are title contenders. I didn't see any way the city would support the 15th or so best soccer league in the world. I couldn't have been more wrong as Atlanta United has become one of the most popular American pro sports franchises in the country regardless of sport and one of the top soccer crowds in the world.

Beyond that, apparently playing pick-up games in inner-city ATL at newly constructed mini turf soccer fields all across the city is super popular and rivals what you see kids doing in similar settings in London, Paris, and Rio. I expect this article is embellishing a little bit but if its half true, that's pretty great. People talk all the time about how to improve the USMNT. First and foremost, you have to appeal to inner-city kids and have them play the sport. When you exclude that huge demographic, you are left with suburban players who often play football and baseball instead, and mini demographics like the sons of immigrants, or sons fathered by American military with German mothers.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndic...-the-black-soccer-capital-of-america.amp.html

I have always said Miami and Atlanta are the 2 worst sports towns in America. I was flabbergasted that MLS was going to expand to those towns. Atlanta lost 2 NHL teams, attendance for Braves, Hawks, and GT are really bad unless those teams are title contenders. I didn't see any way the city would support the 15th or so best soccer league in the world. I couldn't have been more wrong as Atlanta United has become one of the most popular American pro sports franchises in the country regardless of sport and one of the top soccer crowds in the world.

Beyond that, apparently playing pick-up games in inner-city ATL at newly constructed mini turf soccer fields all across the city is super popular and rivals what you see kids doing in similar settings in London, Paris, and Rio. I expect this article is embellishing a little bit but if its half true, that's pretty great. People talk all the time about how to improve the USMNT. First and foremost, you have to appeal to inner-city kids and have them play the sport. When you exclude that huge demographic, you are left with suburban players who often play football and baseball instead, and mini demographics like the sons of immigrants, or sons fathered by American military with German mothers.
Places I've been to, including Greece, Russia, Republic of Georgia, there are a lot of mini soccer field throughout the inner city, the size of basketball courts, fenced in, with crappy artificial turf, but kids and adults always playing on them. Often right next to a basketball court. And most of the rural towns have them too. I haven't seen any in the USA anywhere personally.

Atlanta has become the #1 draw in MLS, and somehow they've immediately become the top team. I believe it's because they loaded up with young South Americans in their prime maybe? Even with the on field success, I'm surprised at the crowds. But Miami? I think they failed as an MLS city once already, but it's a glamorous place and I think David Beckham is involved isn't he?

Atlanta has become the #1 draw in MLS, and somehow they've immediately become the top team. I believe it's because they loaded up with young South Americans in their prime maybe? Even with the on field success, I'm surprised at the crowds. But Miami? I think they failed as an MLS city once already, but it's a glamorous place and I think David Beckham is involved isn't he?

The success at the gate isnt just related to their success on the field. From Day 1, there was an extremely large enthusiastic crowd starved for soccer in Atlanta. I was shocked. Never woulda guessed.

As for Miami, I think the only chance they have is for Beckham to draw a guy like Ronaldo and other worldwide stars to be some type of super club. I don't think Miami has good enough sports fans to support a run of the mill MLS team like Orlando does. I can't believe their NHL team hasn't moved yet

Football participation is down. The WPIAL has seen a steep decline. Many big schools can’t field freshman teams anymore. I don’t know if that has affected soccer yet. The big schools were already getting 60 kids trying out for soccer ever year. Will we start to see that become the case at the smaller schools? I heard mike white talking about the steep decline in football participation locally. He thinks it has bottomed out. I’m not sure about that.

To your point...ATL and soccer??? Who would have thunk it? I don’t get that at all.

Places I've been to, including Greece, Russia, Republic of Georgia, there are a lot of mini soccer field throughout the inner city, the size of basketball courts, fenced in, with crappy artificial turf, but kids and adults always playing on them. Often right next to a basketball court. And most of the rural towns have them too. I haven't seen any in the USA anywhere personally.

I know that but I never would have thought Atlanta would have a bustling pick-up soccer scene.

There was a double header high school football game yesterday at Grady. Awesome city school with a football stadium that gets used by several school. Really nice facility in mid town Atlanta. I am here for the weekend and did notice many kids doing soccer in piedmont park. Evidently attendance is strong for the major league soccer team.

We travel to Atlanta multiple times a year for soccer. They have some very strong girls soccer ECNL and DA. Two solid programs with Concord Fire and TopHat.

They have complexes everywhere, turf and Bermuda grass. Atlanta has invested heavily in youth soccer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT