ADVERTISEMENT

Article on Pay Board

Oct 25, 2021
Says to keep an eye on two commits. Did some Googling and found that Seymore took an official to Auburn this past weekend. So that's great; they don't even have a coach, just a cheerleader right now. Hope the other one isn't Minchey. That ND gossip has been sketchy for a while.

The lack of a HC never stopped a SEC school from recruiting.

If Minchey is planning to enroll in January, I doubt it's him. The Irish also have the Carr kid committed.

The lack of a HC never stopped a SEC school from recruiting.

If Minchey is planning to enroll in January, I doubt it's him. The Irish also have the Carr kid committed.
It's all about the $$$ which is ashame. I hope Minchey honors his commitment

If I take Minchey and Bass out, that drops our class to 50th. This after it being 70th last year (small, I get it).

I know the leader of the He Man Womun Haters Pom Pom Club said it would be top 20ish and that was always comical, but 50th?!?! That's absolutely unacceptable in our coach's 9th recruiting class. Especially coming off an ACC Championship.

If I take Minchey and Bass out, that drops our class to 50th. This after it being 70th last year (small, I get it).

I know the leader of the He Man Womun Haters Pom Pom Club said it would be top 20ish and that was always comical, but 50th?!?! That's absolutely unacceptable in our coach's 9th recruiting class. Especially coming off an ACC Championship.
ACC Chamiponship doesn't go anywhere near as far as NIL money will.

Reactions: LeftCoastPanther
It's reality though. Pitt hasn't recruited at a very high level since the Gottfried years.

I'm not seeing how the two are related. Yeah, I don't expect to recruit in the top ten with or without NIL. But recruiting around 35th should be very attainable. The fact that we're not doing it is on this staff. There are some oddities ahead of us that are probably NIL-related. Northwestern being one of them. But why can't we do better than Cincinnati, Kansas State, Iowa State, Duke, Wake Forest, Arizona, BC, Colorado, etc.? And that's even giving a pass to teams like Purdue, Maryland, Minnesota, etc. that would also be ahead of us if we lost these two, because I assume people would just assume they're funneling money to recruits through their respective conference payouts (which haven't even increased all that drastically yet).

And regardless, I'm not interested in having a coach who makes us say, "Ahhhh, so that's why we suck at this." Either get someone in here who can recruit well in this current environment or drop down to the FCS and go have a rock fight with Robert Morris or Duquesne.

I'm not seeing how the two are related. Yeah, I don't expect to recruit in the top ten with or without NIL. But recruiting around 35th should be very attainable. The fact that we're not doing it is on this staff. There are some oddities ahead of us that are probably NIL-related. Northwestern being one of them. But why can't we do better than Cincinnati, Kansas State, Iowa State, Duke, Wake Forest, Arizona, BC, Colorado, etc.? And that's even giving a pass to teams like Purdue, Maryland, Minnesota, etc. that would also be ahead of us if we lost these two, because I assume people would just assume they're funneling money to recruits through their respective conference payouts (which haven't even increased all that drastically yet).

And regardless, I'm not interested in having a coach who makes us say, "Ahhhh, so that's why we suck at this." Either get someone in here who can recruit well in this current environment or drop down to the FCS and go have a rock fight with Robert Morris or Duquesne.

This staff has an 8 year track record of recruiting. Pitt is almost always going to depend on signing guys who they think they can develop. Winning the ACC isn't going to change the way they recruit. If anything, it validated the way they go about their business. As far as rankings, Pitt is always going to fall somewhere between 20 & 50. (mostly all 3 star type classes). Pitt just needs to get more out of their 3 star guys than the competition.

If Pitt, or any other school for that matter, wants to recruit with the big boys, then yeah, it pretty much is all about NIL money.

This staff has an 8 year track record of recruiting. Pitt is almost always going to depend on signing guys who they think they can develop. Winning the ACC isn't going to change the way they recruit. If anything, it validated the way they go about their business. As far as rankings, Pitt is always going to fall somewhere between 20 & 50. (mostly all 3 star type classes). Pitt just needs to get more out of their 3 star guys than the competition.

If Pitt, or any other school for that matter, wants to recruit with the big boys, then yeah, it pretty much is all about NIL money.

Pitt needs to strive to be somewhere around 30. 50 is absolutely pathetic. People love to harp on Paul Chryst's recruiting when his average class was 39th, but Narduzzi's average class in his first 8 was 46th.

We don't have some brilliant strategy in place to only recruit "developmental" guys; if we did, we wouldn't even offer the premier recruits (we do). We just can't get them. Again, I'm not asking to be in the top 10. Even the top 20 is silly to expect from Pitt. There's a big difference between 20 and 50, though, and Narduzzi is trending in the wrong direction.

Reactions: jctrack
That’s happens when expectations don’t equal results. In addition, you can bet that there will be some highly recruited players on the roster leaving as well…

So Minchey isn't enrolling early now? These kids have the attention span of a gnat and the commitment level of a $20 whore.

So Minchey isn't enrolling early now? These kids have the attention span of a gnat and the commitment level of a $20 whore.
Agreed. But there seem to be a whole lot of people who don’t understand that. Until a kid signs and gets on campus it barely counts for me. Now with the NIL it’s even moreso. A verbal isn’t a bad thing of course and most tend to hold, but there’s always some movement.

And I’ll say this again - there are those who crap on kids that decommit but won’t hesitate to celebrate a kid that Duzz flips.

Pitt needs to strive to be somewhere around 30. 50 is absolutely pathetic. People love to harp on Paul Chryst's recruiting when his average class was 39th, but Narduzzi's average class in his first 8 was 46th.

We don't have some brilliant strategy in place to only recruit "developmental" guys; if we did, we wouldn't even offer the premier recruits (we do). We just can't get them. Again, I'm not asking to be in the top 10. Even the top 20 is silly to expect from Pitt. There's a big difference between 20 and 50, though, and Narduzzi is trending in the wrong direction.

Can you really look at the recruiting rankings of TCU (20) Kansas State (28), Pitt (40), and Utah (49), and say with any degree of confidence that one is significantly better than the other?

There are reasons Pitt doesn't get the the 4 & 5 star guys. It doesn't mean they should stop recruiting them. But hits on those are going to be few and far between.

The only thing that really matters is the talent they put on the field on game day. There are lots of ways at fielding a competitive roster in today's climate.

Agreed. But there seem to be a whole lot of people who don’t understand that. Until a kid signs and gets on campus it barely counts for me. Now with the NIL it’s even moreso. A verbal isn’t a bad thing of course and most tend to hold, but there’s always some movement.

And I’ll say this again - there are those who crap on kids that decommit but won’t hesitate to celebrate a kid that Duzz flips.

I don't believe any of these kids are coming to Pitt until I see them in a Pitt uniform on the field or on the court.

Can you really look at the recruiting rankings of TCU (20) Kansas State (28), Pitt (40), and Utah (49), and say with any degree of confidence that one is significantly better than the other?

There are reasons Pitt doesn't get the the 4 & 5 star guys. It doesn't mean they should stop recruiting them. But hits on those are going to be few and far between.

The only thing that really matters is the talent they put on the field on game day. There are lots of ways at fielding a competitive roster in today's climate.

You don't think there's a difference between recruiting 49th or 20th? That's beyond absurd, especially from a macro standpoint. One individual class can be better than another individual class that was ranked higher. But I don't know how many more analyses need to be published before people realize these things are pretty accurate from a big-picture standpoint.

I don't believe any of these kids are coming to Pitt until I see them in a Pitt uniform on the field or on the court.

Yeah, but if you actually mention that at the time they commit (six months before signing day) Joey David will point his finger and yell at you, and FireballZ will post a little laughing face emoji and then scamper back into the woodpile.

You don't think there's a difference between recruiting 49th or 20th? That's beyond absurd, especially from a macro standpoint. One individual class can be better than another individual class that was ranked higher. But I don't know how many more analyses need to be published before people realize these things are pretty accurate from a big-picture standpoint.

They are top 10 or top 15. Once you get down to where the classes are mostly 3 star guys, with maybe one or two 4* guys sprinkled in,, not so much.

Besides, look at Pitt's roster on the defensive side of the ball. It's a pretty salty defense. Where are the 4* recruits? Based on recruiting rankings, this unit should be mediocre at best.

They are top 10 or top 15. Once you get down to where the classes are mostly 3 star guys, with maybe one or two 4* guys sprinkled in,, not so much.

Besides, look at Pitt's roster on the defensive side of the ball. It's a pretty salty defense. Where are the 4* recruits? Based on recruiting rankings, this unit should be mediocre at best.

Our defense hasn't exactly faced many good offenses this season. We held four P5 teams under their season averages in points, and four had above their averages. We play a style that compounds the amount of damage we can do against teams with really bad o-lines; I'll give you that.

Even still, I'm not saying you can never have a good unit - or even team - recruiting at our level. It's just not as likely... and we're certainly not a complete team now.

If Pitt had TCU's class someone would be complaining that the 4-stars were really just overrated 3-stars.

But yeah, you can pretty easily argue that NC State has a very similar class to TCU but NC State is sitting at 49. Devil is always in the details.

If Pitt had TCU's class someone would be complaining that the 4-stars were really just overrated 3-stars.

But yeah, you can pretty easily argue that NC State has a very similar class to TCU but NC State is sitting at 49. Devil is always in the details.

Well the whole 7 more players thing matters when considering that half the players in every class, if not more, never see meaningful snaps. So if the averages are similar, of course the one with more players will properly be rated higher (for the record, they rate your 20 highest recruits when calculating these things, so your overall ranking will suffer if you have less than 20, because you'll get zeroes for each number you have below it).

I don't get this overall point, though. No, people wouldn't be complaining if Pitt had the 22nd overall class and it included four 4-stars. That's just insane. That's like telling a homeless man, "If I gave you my house and the keys to my car, you'd be complaining that I didn't let you have my wife, too." Pretty sure he'd just enjoy the house and the car, in actuality.

It's reality though. Pitt hasn't recruited at a very high level since the Gottfried years.

I really thought Narduzzi would be a bulldog on recruiting. Decent start in 2016 winning battles for Hamlin, Pine, Camp against some big schools. Then he did really bad in 2017 locally (although most of that class turned out to be no big loss. Wade would have helped, and Hinnish was the best of that whole class). Had a nice rebound with Donald, Ford, Johnson, but now it is more of the same.

Narduzzi gets a lot out of the talent he recruits, so imagine how much better the results would be with better talent.

Narduzzi still king of the averages for coaches since Sherrill, but in terms of recruiting it is hands down Gottfried, then Wanny

I don't get this overall point, though. No, people wouldn't be complaining if Pitt had the 22nd overall class and it included four 4-stars. That's just insane. That's like telling a homeless man, "If I gave you my house and the keys to my car, you'd be complaining that I didn't let you have my wife, too." Pretty sure he'd just enjoy the house and the car, in actuality.
The homeless guy isn't a Pitt fan, because he obviously would be complaining. "Where's my on campus stadium? Where are the tarps for playing in the current place? This was our year, how did we blow it? Cig-Duzzi ball is lame, I want Air Whipple back. Etc."

Well the whole 7 more players thing matters when considering that half the players in every class, if not more, never see meaningful snaps. So if the averages are similar, of course the one with more players will properly be rated higher (for the record, they rate your 20 highest recruits when calculating these things, so your overall ranking will suffer if you have less than 20, because you'll get zeroes for each number you have below it).

I think I understand how recruit and class rankings work very well and I don't lose too much sleep over a small class size from a single year. Especially when rosters are choked with a ton of guys with extra Covid years and even more so at a school like NC State where your 2-deep is full of kids with two or more seasons of eligibility left. Duke has 26 kids but half the class are pretty suspect based on their offer sheets. TCU is sitting in front of A&M, Michigan, and Ole Miss and I'd take every one of their classes over TCU's. Heck, even Michigan State.

Nobody is saying Pitt's class is a NC waiting to happen but you always have to take these things with a grain of salt. Yeah, it's not as good as most of 20-30 but if they added three kids at roughly the current class average they would jump Cincy and be mid-20's. Is it suddenly a great class? Devil is always in the details.

I think I understand how recruit and class rankings work very well and I don't lose too much sleep over a small class size from a single year. Especially when rosters are choked with a ton of guys with extra Covid years and even more so at a school like NC State where your 2-deep is full of kids with two or more seasons of eligibility left. Duke has 26 kids but half the class are pretty suspect based on their offer sheets. TCU is sitting in front of A&M, Michigan, and Ole Miss and I'd take every one of their classes over TCU's. Heck, even Michigan State.

Nobody is saying Pitt's class is a NC waiting to happen but you always have to take these things with a grain of salt. Yeah, it's not as good as most of 20-30 but if they added three kids at roughly the current class average they would jump Cincy and be mid-20's. Is it suddenly a great class? Devil is always in the details.

No they wouldn't, lol. There is literally a site that allows you to do that. If we did what you just said, we would be #33... but that's before we lose Minchey, Bass, potentially Seymore, and now potentially Pollock. And it's also assuming no other school behind us gets any more players, which is silly to do.

Big problem, is our school is in the north, and our real recruiting base has become the south. I mean we still get some guys from over east and the delmarva and Ohio. Most of these kids come hear because they don't get the big school offers they want. If they get them later in the process, then they tell us goodbye. Bottom line, over the years our best recruits have come from PA and Jersey, and those kids just don't seem interested in coming here anymore. They go to ND, Ohio State, or the pedophile university of PA. NIL has only made the situation worse. We need better players, especially on the offense, and I have a feeling that if we are lucky, we might be able to keep the status quo at best.

ADVERTISEMENT