ADVERTISEMENT

Article regarding UNCs reaction to realignment

ThePanthers

Head Coach
May 4, 2009

Pretty good article. Has actual quotes and texts from the UNC AD and prez. Three interesting ones IMO:

- UNC AD had long talk with former BIG commish Delany after the USC/UCLA news. Said what he got out of it is that Delany preached "planning and patience". Read that as you may, but to me, it pretty much means either 1) Delany was telling the UNC AD to keep investing in football, plan for the future, and be patient because the time will come for a BIG invite, no need to rush or 2) help the ACC plan and be patient, and if the invest in FB and get better at that, the ACC can have a brighter future. My feel is heavily towards #1.

- Text between the UNC AD and UNC chancellor discussed possible partnerships with the Big 12 and/or the Pac 12. But the one quote that caught my attention was when discussing this partnership, would it form a new league, and would all ACC schools be brought aboard.

- Finally, quotes from Jim Phillips states that they are reviewing the committment to football for all schools, and seeing if all schools are properly investing. There will be metrics to ensure the proper commitmment is there. I'm sure that will be integrated into possible uneven revenue sharing going forward.

Pretty good article. Has actual quotes and texts from the UNC AD and prez. Three interesting ones IMO:

- UNC AD had long talk with former BIG commish Delany after the USC/UCLA news. Said what he got out of it is that Delany preached "planning and patience". Read that as you may, but to me, it pretty much means either 1) Delany was telling the UNC AD to keep investing in football, plan for the future, and be patient because the time will come for a BIG invite, no need to rush or 2) help the ACC plan and be patient, and if the invest in FB and get better at that, the ACC can have a brighter future. My feel is heavily towards #1.

- Text between the UNC AD and UNC chancellor discussed possible partnerships with the Big 12 and/or the Pac 12. But the one quote that caught my attention was when discussing this partnership, would it form a new league, and would all ACC schools be brought aboard.

- Finally, quotes from Jim Phillips states that they are reviewing the committment to football for all schools, and seeing if all schools are properly investing. There will be metrics to ensure the proper commitmment is there. I'm sure that will be integrated into possible uneven revenue sharing going forward.
UNC, Clemson, FSU, and Miami have nothing to worry about. They will either be in a P2 league or in the ACC as currently configured, which will get 1-3 bids to the new CFP regardless of how much TV money the P2 teams get. Those teams cant spend it on player salaries. The other teams, who may have been worrying before, can worry a little less now because even if those 4 leave along with several more schools, the ACC leftovers will still have access to the CFP.

In a doomsday scenario, Pitt being back in the old Big East but with a bid to the CFP isnt the end of the world.

At this point, my guess is the ACC remains in tact until 2036.

As for unequal revenue distribution, the writing has been on the wall for that. And I agree with it. I cant believe OSU shares equal revenue with NW. Alabama shares equally with Vandy. It makes no sense. I think they'll look at all the football budgets and distribute revenue proportionally to how large the budget is. If Clemson's budget is twice as large as BC's, then they get twice the revenue. For Pitt, probably not the best time to be going into debt for volleyball.

Last edited:
UNC, Clemson, FSU, and Miami have nothing to worry about. They will either be in a P2 league or in the ACC as currently configured, which will get 1-3 bids to the new CFP regardless of how much TV money the P2 teams get. Those teams cant spend it on player salaries. The other teams, who may have been worrying before, can worry a little less now because even if those 4 leave along with several more schools, the ACC leftovers will still have access to the CFP.

In a doomsday scenario, Pitt being back in the old Big East but with a bid to the CFP isnt the end of the world.

As for unequal revenue distribution, the writing has been on the wall for that. And I agree with it. I cant believe OSU shares equal revenue with NW. Alabama shares equally with Vandy. It makes no sense. I think they'll look at all the football budgets and distribute revenue proportionally to how large the budget is. If Clemson's budget is twice as large as BC's, then they get twice the revenue. For Pitt, probably not the best time to be going into debt for volleyball.
At least there’s a little bit of comfort in the fact that, as of now, Pitt would still have realistic playoff access if the ACC became the Big East 2.0.

That's the next round of all this. Maybe 5 or 10 years from now. Either one Super League forms with all the big brands or the big brands negotiate to get a large portion of the conference pie and Northwestern and Purdue get 1/10th of what OSU gets in a new deal.

Yea. How bout this new ACC

Pitt
WVU
Syr
BC
UConn
USF
Lou
Cincy
Remove UConn and USF. Add ACC teams that you're missing... Duke, Wake, GT, NCSU, VT, UVa, and, potentially, UCF. Unless you think all of those teams will get the nod for one of the P2 leagues which I highly doubt.

Last edited:
Reactions: quip
Remove UConn and USF. Add ACC trans that's you're missing... Duke, Wake, GT, NCSU, VT, UVa, and, potentially, UCF. Unless you think all of those teams will get the nod for one of the P2 leagues which I highly doubt.
When its all said and done, I think the B10 and SEC get into VA and NC.

SEC adds
- FSU, Miami, Clemson (they dont want to as they are duplicate markets but they dont want the B10 there)

- UNC, Duke (Duke brings a national brand with their basketball team, which has great value.....and a profitable rivalry)

- UVa (B10 offers also but I believe UVa chooses to stay with its southern roots)

B10 adds

- VT, NC State

- Oregon, Washington

This is all probably 10 or more years away. There doesn't seem to be rush to do anything more at the moment

Reactions: HailToPitt725

SEC adds
- FSU, Miami, Clemson (they dont want to as they are duplicate markets but they dont want the B10 there)

- UNC, Duke (Duke brings a national brand with their basketball team, which has great value.....and a profitable rivalry)

- UVa (B10 offers also but I believe UVa chooses to stay with its southern roots)

B10 adds

- VT, NC State

- Oregon, Washington

This is all probably 10 or more years away. There doesn't seem to be rush to do anything more at the moment
Yeah. Disagree. I absolutely do not see 3 NC teams going to either. I'm not sure I see VT going anywhere either. B10 would sooner add a FL team. GT would absolutely be more coveted by the B1G than VT or NCSU. Huge market. Better recruiting.

Yeah. Disagree. I absolutely do not see 3 NC teams going to either. I'm not sure I see VT going anywhere either. B10 would sooner add a FL team. GT would absolutely be more coveted by the B1G than VT or NCSU. Huge market. Better recruiting.
You may be right about NC State and VT. But I think the VA and NC markets are valuable. Also, yes, the B10 would LOVE to add Miami, FSU, Clemson. And the SEC doesn't want them. But they're going to add them to prevent the B10 from getting them. Could the B10 add GT, maybe instead of VT/NC State? Yea, maybe. Terrible program, no fans, but big market. Heck, they added Maryland and Rutgers so why not. Given the terrible decision making by the B10, I wouldn't be shocked if they added BC due to market size

SEC adds

B10 adds

- VT, NC State

- Oregon, Washington

You are unbelievable…. VT to the Big Ten? Haha!
I might have to put you on ignore again….

Reactions: FireballZ
I think he's off his meds because somehow he left Howard off out of the ACC.
Remember how VT got into the ACC? The ACC didn’t want VT. The Governor of Virginia intervened on their behalf. Their brand was sky high back in those days and the ACC still didn’t want them. They wanted Syracuse.

Fifteen years later, their brand is as low as before the pre-Beamer days… BUT! All of a sudden they are going to the Big Ten!

As someone else said on the tread, VT is East Carolina (you can throw in WVU as well). They bring zip to the Big Ten. Pitt would have a MUCH better chance than VT to get into the Big Ten….

Rule of thumb: When one team becomes better (Pitt) another team must become worse (VT). That’s what you’re seeing…..

If not, then every team becomes 6-6…

Reactions: pittdan77
Remember how VT got into the ACC? The ACC didn’t want VT. The Governor of Virginia intervened on their behalf. Their brand was sky high back in those days and the ACC still didn’t want them. They wanted Syracuse.

Fifteen years later, their brand is as low as before the pre-Beamer days… BUT! All of a sudden they are going to the Big Ten!

As someone else said on the tread, VT is East Carolina (you can throw in WVU as well). They bring zip to the Big Ten. Pitt would have a MUCH better chance than VT to get into the Big Ten….

Rule of thumb: When one team becomes better (Pitt) another team must become worse (VT). That’s what you’re seeing…..

If not, then every team becomes 6-6…
There are honestly 50 teams the Big Ten would add before it goes for the duplicate market of Pgh. They'd add Coastal Carolina or South Alabama before Pitt. PSU would never allow it and Pitt doesn't bring enough to make other B10 programs go against PSU.

You bring up good points about VT. I do not guarantee they will leave the ACC because as you mention, their brand and NC State's isnt great. I do guarantee that UNC, Miami, FSU, and Clemson will eventually leave. And I just think once the SEC adds those 4 to get to 20, the Big Ten's options are limited IF it wants to expand further. Oregon and Washington are the 1st options. Then what?

Utah, Colorado, AZ schools: blah

A TX also-ran: blah

OK St: doesn't bring enough and weird travel

UCF: keep an eye on that one if they cant get FSU or Miami

VT/NC State fill in the map, add good but not great programs and bring good markets in Raleigh and the state of VA as VT has a statewide fanbase of a populated state

UNC is far more likely to end up in the B1G than the SEC.

There are honestly 50 teams the Big Ten would add before it goes for the duplicate market of Pgh. They'd add Coastal Carolina or South Alabama before Pitt. PSU would never allow it and Pitt doesn't bring enough to make other B10 programs go against PSU.

You bring up good points about VT. I do not guarantee they will leave the ACC because as you mention, their brand and NC State's isnt great. I do guarantee that UNC, Miami, FSU, and Clemson will eventually leave. And I just think once the SEC adds those 4 to get to 20, the Big Ten's options are limited IF it wants to expand further. Oregon and Washington are the 1st options. Then what?

VT/NC State fill in the map, add good but not great programs and bring good markets in Raleigh and the state of VA as VT has a statewide fanbase of a populated state

Reactions: LVNVPanther
My guess, in the next 5-10 years:

UNC, UVA, GT, ND, Miami and Duke to the BIG

NC State, VT, FSU and Clemson to the SEC.

Hoping Pitt gets in some combo of Cuse, BC, WVU, Louisville, Iowa State, Kansas, K State, Baylor, Okie State, Texas Tech, etc conference.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ

Shaking my head….. You devalue Pitt much more than any of the decision makers do… Coastal Carolina? Please….

The decision makers won’t be AD’s, boosters, media types, or low IQ bloggers….It will be made by university presidents. Not saying Pitt will get in the Big Ten, but trust me, they are much more highly thought of than you think. They value a lot of things Pitt brings.

Unless you are one of the blue bloods of college athletics most presidents understand that on the field accomplishments will come and go. It will be inconsistent. However, the other things that Pitt would bring would be of great value to the presidents of the universities and will not be inconsistent…. Again, not saying they will get in, but the people making the decisions have Pitt higher on the totem pole than you think….

Shaking my head….. You devalue Pitt much more than any of the decision makers do… Coastal Carolina? Please….

The decision makers won’t be AD’s, boosters, media types, or low IQ bloggers….It will be made by university presidents. Not saying Pitt will get in the Big Ten, but trust me, they are much more highly thought of than you think. They value a lot of things Pitt brings.

Unless you are one of the blue bloods of college athletics most presidents understand that on the field accomplishments will come and go. It will be inconsistent. However, the other things that Pitt would bring would be of great value to the presidents of the universities and will not be inconsistent…. Again, not saying they will get in, but the people making the decisions have Pitt higher on the totem pole than you think….
They care about one thing and one thing only: TV money. They'd choose the Myrtle Beach TV market over no TV market (as PSU already delivers Pgh)

They care about one thing and one thing only: TV money. They'd choose the Myrtle Beach TV market over no TV market (as PSU already delivers Pgh)
Wrong. It’s about viewership. Pitt has the fourth highest viewership in the ACC. (Clemson, FSU, & Miami). VT is far below…No use having a TV market if nobody watches. They already learned that with Rutgers.

Pitt has as high or higher viewership than 6 teams in the Big Ten.

Plus they want an academic fit. Pitt is an AAU school and with lots of research dollars….

To paraphrase a notorious Pennsylvanian, the idea that only PSU “delivers” the Pgh market is ridiculous nonsense. If anything, Pitt delivers not only our fans, but the fans of PSU and WVU (the latter of which own 75% of the market😂). Why? Because both of them yearn to see us lose.

Come one, you think Howard is coming to the ACC. Give it a rest.
No I don't. I literally said it was a crazy idea. That said, Howard has a better shot at the ACC than Pitt has at the Big Ten. Almost everyone does. The Big Ten isnt taking a duplicate market of a medium sized city. Pitt has a much better shot at the SEC than the B10

Wrong. It’s about viewership. Pitt has the fourth highest viewership in the ACC. (Clemson, FSU, & Miami). VT is far below…No use having a TV market if nobody watches. They already learned that with Rutgers.

Pitt has as high or higher viewership than 6 teams in the Big Ten.

Plus they want an academic fit. Pitt is an AAU school and with lots of research dollars….
You are absolutely insane if you think they'd take a duplicate market halfway in between State College and Columbus than add a new state in Virginia. No one is backing you up on this. Its insane.

To paraphrase a notorious Pennsylvanian, the idea that only PSU “delivers” the Pgh market is ridiculous nonsense. If anything, Pitt delivers not only our fans, but the fans of PSU and WVU (the latter of which own 75% of the market😂). Why? Because both of them yearn to see us lose.
They deliver Pgh in that Yinzers watch B10 football, probably more than ACC football though Pitt has more fans. Its probably

50% Pitt
30% PSU
10% ND
5% WVU
5% OSU

• Haha
Reactions: LordoftheTides
How about this for a different interpretation of the Delaney call.

Delaney: Holy hell, why is the guy from UNC calling me today? I hope he doesn’t really think that the Big Ten would be interested in a school like Carolina who thinks they should have their own way no matter what. Holy hell he will want to have the Big Ten Championship in football in Charlotte and the basketball in Greensboro. WTF. What do I tell him to get him to hang up.? I got it. How about emphasizing patience and no need to rush. Those are pretty good pseudonyms for please don’t call me every day asking the same damn question.

They deliver Pgh in that Yinzers watch B10 football, probably more than ACC football though Pitt has more fans. Its probably

50% Pitt
30% PSU
10% ND
5% WVU
5% OSU
Did you get those research numbers from somewhere below and behind your navel?

You are absolutely insane if you think they'd take a duplicate market halfway in between State College and Columbus than add a new state in Virginia. No one is backing you up on this. Its insane.
I' can't believe that I am engaging in your nonsense, but I'll explain it to you slowly so you can understand...

You are saying that the Big Ten would more likely pick a team like Coastal Carolina (LOL) than someone like Pitt. I am saying that is absurd... Not saying that Pitt would ever by invited (third time of said that) but I am using FACTS and logic to tell you that The Big Ten or any other conference would never select VT or Coastal Carolina (Ha Ha) over Pitt

Get with the program… The new method for moving the needle is who is going to watch the conference brand. It’s about match ups and who will draw the most TV’s nationwide, it's not about who wins the local Pittsburgh TV market. Nobody is going to watch VT vs Indiana or VT vs Purdue.

PSU vs Pitt will draw interest and the Big Ten knows it. Pitt vs Ohio State would draw interest. Due to proximity, Pitt vs Maryland would draw interest.

I'm also saying the the university presidents will have a criteria that they will want to meet in order to approve membership. VT is not an AAU school. Yes Nebraska isn't either but they were when they joined. All other Big Ten members are...

Rutgers & Maryland are both AAU schools that fit the academic footprint. Therefore they were slam dunks for approval... The Big 12 only has one AAU school and that is Kansas. They would be a strong candidate to join as well as a number of PAC 12 schools.

I'm also saying that Pitt will be in the discussion. They are highly thought of by the Presidents .... However in the end, the Big Ten would probably go west for expansion or take Kansas.

VT, Howard and Coastal Carolina?????Now THAT'S insane....

But you will continue to ignore what I am saying and continue to repeat over and over "The Big Ten won't take duplicate markets....."

Yea. How bout this new ACC

Pitt
WVU
Syr
BC
UConn
USF
Lou
Cincy
Terrible! Our recruiting along with the other teams in this scenario would fall off the map.

There’s a reason Pitt is looking into a on campus stadium. They don’t want to be left holding the bag when all this transpires

Terrible! Our recruiting along with the other teams in this scenario would fall off the map.

There’s a reason Pitt is looking into a on campus stadium. They don’t want to be left holding the bag when all this transpires
Wanny lit it up when he was in a conference with those teams and he didn't have a CFP bid to sell

I' can't believe that I am engaging in your nonsense, but I'll explain it to you slowly so you can understand...

You are saying that the Big Ten would more likely pick a team like Coastal Carolina (LOL) than someone like Pitt. I am saying that is absurd... Not saying that Pitt would ever by invited (third time of said that) but I am using FACTS and logic to tell you that The Big Ten or any other conference would never select VT or Coastal Carolina (Ha Ha) over Pitt

Get with the program… The new method for moving the needle is who is going to watch the conference brand. It’s about match ups and who will draw the most TV’s nationwide, it's not about who wins the local Pittsburgh TV market. Nobody is going to watch VT vs Indiana or VT vs Purdue.

PSU vs Pitt will draw interest and the Big Ten knows it. Pitt vs Ohio State would draw interest. Due to proximity, Pitt vs Maryland would draw interest.

I'm also saying the the university presidents will have a criteria that they will want to meet in order to approve membership. VT is not an AAU school. Yes Nebraska isn't either but they were when they joined. All other Big Ten members are...

Rutgers & Maryland are both AAU schools that fit the academic footprint. Therefore they were slam dunks for approval... The Big 12 only has one AAU school and that is Kansas. They would be a strong candidate to join as well as a number of PAC 12 schools.

I'm also saying that Pitt will be in the discussion. They are highly thought of by the Presidents .... However in the end, the Big Ten would probably go west for expansion or take Kansas.

VT, Howard and Coastal Carolina?????Now THAT'S insane....

But you will continue to ignore what I am saying and continue to repeat over and over "The Big Ten won't take duplicate markets....."
Its about money, which, in a nutshell, who has more fans and potential fans. VT is the most popular football program in a state of 8.5 million people and has been significantly better than Pitt in football, on the average, for the last 25 years. Pitt is in a metro area of around 2 million people. Not everyone in SW PA is a Pitt fan. Not everyone in VA is a VT fan. But 8.5 million beats 2 million. The Pitt over VT for the Big Ten is as asinine discussion. Not even my harshest critics would disagree that VT gets the invite over Pitt. You are literally the only one. Yea, Pitt/PSU draws interest but that's one game. Pitt/OSU isnt any different than OSU vs Whoever from a national standpoint. And we didn't even discuss the importance of Big Ten recruiting in the talent rich area of Eastern Virginia, where VT is the most popular team.

I was being a little sarcastic with the Coastal Carolina comment. Pitt could possibly get in over Coastal Carolina but I wouldn't guarantee it. That isnt a slight on Pitt. The Big Ten simply isnt taking a duplicate market. And PSU and OSU wont allow a Big Ten team in THEIR recruiting area.

If Pitt gets in a P2 league, it would be the SEC and I have said before if they expand to 24, Pitt has an outside shot.

Reactions: LordoftheTides
Honestly, this is actually a pretty rational take.

Its about money, which, in a nutshell, who has more fans and potential fans. VT is the most popular football program in a state of 8.5 million people and has been significantly better than Pitt in football, on the average, for the last 25 years. Pitt is in a metro area of around 2 million people. Not everyone in SW PA is a Pitt fan. Not everyone in VA is a VT fan. But 8.5 million beats 2 million. The Pitt over VT for the Big Ten is as asinine discussion. Not even my harshest critics would disagree that VT gets the invite over Pitt. You are literally the only one. Yea, Pitt/PSU draws interest but that's one game. Pitt/OSU isnt any different than OSU vs Whoever from a national standpoint. And we didn't even discuss the importance of Big Ten recruiting in the talent rich area of Eastern Virginia, where VT is the most popular team.

I was being a little sarcastic with the Coastal Carolina comment. Pitt could possibly get in over Coastal Carolina but I wouldn't guarantee it. That isnt a slight on Pitt. The Big Ten simply isnt taking a duplicate market. And PSU and OSU wont allow a Big Ten team in THEIR recruiting area.

If Pitt gets in a P2 league, it would be the SEC and I have said before if they expand to 24, Pitt has an outside shot.

Educated guess. I dare you to guesstimate. 90% Pitt fans?
I wouldn’t be foolish enough to try and guesstimate Penn State’s impact on the Pittsburgh television market. For one there are extreme biases around things like sports. A person who is a fan of a niche sport thinks everyone in the world is a fan of that sport and then believes their impact is much higher. I think the perception of Penn State fans in the Pittsburgh area has been biased by media and therefore echoed by those Penn State fans who are around. The bias then becomes engrained by the number of Pitt fans who attend games which is not representative of the Pitt fans in the area. There are tons of people in Western PA who would rather have their prostate scrubbed with a wire brush than to drive down town but they support Pitt. I won’t guess but I strongly suspect the number of Penn State fans in the area is less than perceived.

ADVERTISEMENT