ADVERTISEMENT

Artie Burns's brother moves to PR and Pitt is recruiting him

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...k-Louis-Newell-wrestling/stories/201709220014

He is a former Miami commitment. Funny quote at the end of the article comparing HS football in Miami to Pittsburgh.
What's the quote for those of us without an account?

I don't have a PG account and I can see it.

"Up here, they’re competitive. In Miami, they’re competitive and fast. They’re really not that fast here. I can move around easier."

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
It wouldn’t be a stretch to call Pine-Richland’s Thomas Burns one of the fastest high school athletes in the country.

But while the brother of Steelers cornerback Artie Burns could very well be a future Olympian, his college recruitment is moving much slower than he would like.

Burns and his younger brother Jordan moved to the area from Miami this summer. They live with Artie in the Pine-Richland School District. Thomas is a senior defensive back for the Rams and Jordan plays on the freshman team.

Thomas Burns made a verbal commitment to the University of Miami football team when he was a sophomore at Miami’s Northwestern High School, but he backed out of that commitment in May. While Burns is a talented football player, he is an elite track athlete. He won a Florida state title in the 300-meter hurdles in May and a month later ran the second-fastest high school time ever in that event when he finished in a blazing time of 35.25 seconds at a meet in New Mexico.

With those credentials, Burns is attracting a ton of college interest, right? Well, not quite. Burns admits that he must improve academically, and said that’s the reason many schools have not reached out to him. He’s currently being recruited in track by Mississippi State and South Carolina. He said he no longer keeps in touch with the Miami football coaches.

Burns believes he could be a two-sport athlete in college.

“Right now, I’m still deciding. I might do both,” he said.

Advertisement

Burns said that Pitt has shown some interest — via brother Artie — and that he would like to attend a Pitt game this fall.

“Their coaches have been talking to my brother about me and asking if I can come to games and stuff like that,” said Burns (6 feet, 175 pounds), who forced a fumble in Pine-Richland’s win against Penn Hills last Friday.

As far as transitioning to living in Western Pennsylvania, Burns said it has gone well and that he’s “getting ready for the cold.” He added that there is one primary difference between playing high school football here compared to Miami.

“Up here, they’re competitive. In Miami, they’re competitive and fast. They’re really not that fast here. I can move around easier,” he said.

Funny comment, but sounds like the kid has absolutely 0 chance of qualifying and is probably a walk on potential and not much more.

Either sadly or wisely, depending on your thinking, certain individuals at Pitt would look at that text and all that would stand out would be the "needs to improve academically"part. The rest would be be heard to them like a Charlie Brown teacher.

Myself, i think that is important but would put that in context with the rest that mentions how fast he is, but maybe not the greatest player yet. How much do you forgive the shaky academics and pursue anyway? To the Ford level?

Either sadly or wisely, depending on your thinking, certain individuals at Pitt would look at that text and all that would stand out would be the "needs to improve academically"part. The rest would be be heard to them like a Charlie Brown teacher.

Myself, i think that is important but would put that in context with the rest that mentions how fast he is, but maybe not the greatest player yet. How much do you forgive the shaky academics and pursue anyway? To the Ford level?
The Ford level? Burns is probably not even worth a scholarship offer if his academics were perfect.

The Ford level? Burns is probably not even worth a scholarship offer if his academics were perfect.
I think it's fair to consider who else is in line for offers for similar positions (and likely to accept them) and also the PR factor (brother of Steeler!). I realize from the situation with Antonio Browns brother, that really isn't much.

I think it's fair to consider who else is in line for offers for similar positions (and likely to accept them) and also the PR factor (brother of Steeler!). I realize from the situation with Antonio Browns brother, that really isn't much.
Huh? He isn't a top level recruit, though. They aren't even recruiting him.

It wouldn’t be a stretch to call Pine-Richland’s Thomas Burns one of the fastest high school athletes in the country.

But while the brother of Steelers cornerback Artie Burns could very well be a future Olympian, his college recruitment is moving much slower than he would like.

Burns and his younger brother Jordan moved to the area from Miami this summer. They live with Artie in the Pine-Richland School District. Thomas is a senior defensive back for the Rams and Jordan plays on the freshman team.

Thomas Burns made a verbal commitment to the University of Miami football team when he was a sophomore at Miami’s Northwestern High School, but he backed out of that commitment in May. While Burns is a talented football player, he is an elite track athlete. He won a Florida state title in the 300-meter hurdles in May and a month later ran the second-fastest high school time ever in that event when he finished in a blazing time of 35.25 seconds at a meet in New Mexico.

With those credentials, Burns is attracting a ton of college interest, right? Well, not quite. Burns admits that he must improve academically, and said that’s the reason many schools have not reached out to him. He’s currently being recruited in track by Mississippi State and South Carolina. He said he no longer keeps in touch with the Miami football coaches.

Burns believes he could be a two-sport athlete in college.

“Right now, I’m still deciding. I might do both,” he said.

Advertisement

Burns said that Pitt has shown some interest — via brother Artie — and that he would like to attend a Pitt game this fall.

“Their coaches have been talking to my brother about me and asking if I can come to games and stuff like that,” said Burns (6 feet, 175 pounds), who forced a fumble in Pine-Richland’s win against Penn Hills last Friday.

As far as transitioning to living in Western Pennsylvania, Burns said it has gone well and that he’s “getting ready for the cold.” He added that there is one primary difference between playing high school football here compared to Miami.

“Up here, they’re competitive. In Miami, they’re competitive and fast. They’re really not that fast here. I can move around easier,” he said.
So Fla HS Football is a lot better than WPA

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT