ADVERTISEMENT

As I see Kansas and Syracuse start 5-0

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
I cant believe we haven't been 5-0 since 1982. 41 seasons in a row. You figure 2 of your first 5 are guaranteed wins (FCS and G5), it shouldn't be overly difficult to win all 3 of your P5 games in September/early October. My guess is that Pitt and Vanderbilt are the only teams who haven't done this in the last 40 years.

Reactions: KennyHeisman8
I cant believe we haven't been 5-0 since 1982. 41 seasons in a row. You figure 2 of your first 5 are guaranteed wins (FCS and G5), it shouldn't be overly difficult to win all 3 of your P5 games in September/early October. My guess is that Pitt and Vanderbilt are the only teams who haven't done this in the last 40 years.
How many other ways can you think of to criticize the program?

Our AD and coaches, mostly coming as they do from blue blood programs, never truly seem to get what an odd combination they have with Pitt, in terms of media and law enforcement hostility to our sports, and the and fanbase PTSD/schizophrenia. With the former, it must amaze that a Pitt basketball player would get thrown under the bus immediately after a legal transgression that happens frequently in every major program (sad to say). And in this case, why something really fairly random and innocuous as a 5-0 start would be important here. Maybe there is something to the idea of hiring “Pitt guys (gals)” because they’d get it. They lack the skills, resources etc to DO much about it but at least they wouldn’t be amazed and dazed by it.

Our AD and coaches, mostly coming as they do from blue blood programs, never truly seem to get what an odd combination they have with Pitt, in terms of media and law enforcement hostility to our sports, and the and fanbase PTSD/schizophrenia. With the former, it must amaze that a Pitt basketball player would get thrown under the bus immediately after a legal transgression that happens frequently in every major program (sad to say). And in this case, why something really fairly random and innocuous as a 5-0 start would be important here. Maybe there is something to the idea of hiring “Pitt guys (gals)” because they’d get it. They lack the skills, resources etc to DO much about it but at least they wouldn’t be amazed and dazed by it.
You're blaming law enforcement for what the Pitt basketball player did?

That deserves a, "Well done"!

See, I dont see the 5-0 start as random. Basically, my point is that Pitt hasnt had a great start to get the fanbase going and all juiced up in 40 years. At Syracuse, even though they have played girls teams, their fans are all fired up. They are 6-0 and it should be an electric atmosphere Saturday. I think fanbases, especially Pitt, need that excitement more than once every 40 years. Pitt just blows every opportunity. Last year was great and all but the team could have and should have been 12-0 or 11-1. The defensive execution vs WMU was all-time bad.

See, I dont see the 5-0 start as random. Basically, my point is that Pitt hasnt had a great start to get the fanbase going and all juiced up in 40 years. At Syracuse, even though they have played girls teams, their fans are all fired up. They are 6-0 and it should be an electric atmosphere Saturday. I think fanbases, especially Pitt, need that excitement more than once every 40 years. Pitt just blows every opportunity. Last year was great and all but the team could have and should have been 12-0 or 11-1. The defensive execution vs WMU was all-time bad.
You should migrate to the Syracuse board.

Reactions: pittdan77
Is this the same Syracuse you completely discounted in the other thread when you said that Clemson essentially has the Atlantic wrapped up?

Syracuse blows. And, to the extent that this does attract more casual fan interest for the time being, it's going to last for like two or three weeks at the most. So I'm not too jealous.

And good for Kansas have Gameday at their place, etc. But they'll be 7-5 in the end if they're lucky.

Reactions: pittdan77
Syracuse blows. And, to the extent that this does attract more casual fan interest for the time being, it's going to last for like two or three weeks at the most. So I'm not too jealous.

And good for Kansas have Gameday at their place, etc. But they'll be 7-5 in the end if they're lucky.
Fanbases NEED that though. Its short-lived yea but they need that. Even last year, we were so down in the dumps after WMU, fans saying Narduzzi should be fired....then Miami a few weeks later. There was absolutely 0 excitement about that team until late November and it was tempered a bit since we only had the Peach Bowl to play for

Reactions: KennyHeisman8
Fanbases NEED that though. Its short-lived yea but they need that. Even last year, we were so down in the dumps after WMU, fans saying Narduzzi should be fired....then Miami a few weeks later. There was absolutely 0 excitement about that team until late November and it was tempered a bit since we only had the Peach Bowl to play for

It just sets you up for a bigger fall. And then the "same old Pitt" comments come out. It literally lasts until you lose. Unless you think we're going undefeated, it's not going to make much of a difference. We played for a Coastal championship last year in front of what... 40k?

Reactions: Skip74
I think about some of those things but last year erased a lot of them. But 5-0 is goofy.
What about undefeated at home? Or undfeated vs ooc? Seems those have been forever?

You could probably argue that for the 2020 team, also. Although I thought NC State mostly outplayed us.
NC State went through Pitt’s defense like a hot knife through butter in the last 1 minute and 40 seconds of the game. They gutted Pitt on that drive to win the game.

I think there was a lot of excitement surrounding the Clemson game.

And I think the November excitement had more to do with playing for an ACC Championship and individual accolades for KP & JA. Very little to do with the Peach Bowl.

Reactions: DruidTM
NC State went through Pitt’s defense like a hot knife through butter in the last 1 minute and 40 seconds of the game. They gutted Pitt on that drive to win the game.

Yeahhhh, pretty depressing. Still some things that could have gone our way. Turner falling before the end zone was one, but didn't we also go for it on 4th deep in their territory and get stopped?

What makes me feel better is that it wouldn't have even been a game if they didn't hit Pickett in the head after a pick 6, so we probably shouldn't have won anyway.

Can't say the same for the BC game, in which they gave them the ball back after Weaver took it out of Jurkovec's hands. I'm still not sure what happened.

With the former, it must amaze that a Pitt basketball player would get thrown under the bus immediately after a legal transgression that happens frequently in every major program (sad to say).

I don't know if you consider them a major program, but earlier opponent Tennessee had a player arrested for domestic assault in August and he got kicked off the team. And then another player arrested for domestic assault in September and he got kicked off the team. And then another player arrested for aggravated assault yesterday afternoon/evening, although I haven't seen yet if they have kicked him off the team.

In some places they still do take it seriously if you beat on your girlfriend.

Paul Hackett went 5-0 in 1991... just saying
That was my freshman year and I was like this is awesome we're gonna go to a bowl game...well as we all know that didn't exactly play out no did it!!! Nor did we go to a bowl game during my time at Pitt...and I was even on the 5 year plan.

My first year at Pitt, 1983, we “only” went to the Fiesta Bowl (narrow loss to Ohio State). The general feeling among the students was that it was such low grade dog food for us.

My first year at Pitt, 1983, we “only” went to the Fiesta Bowl (narrow loss to Ohio State). The general feeling among the students was that it was such low grade dog food for us.

My first year at Pitt was 1982, or as I like to say looking back on it in retrospect, the beginning of the end.

So 3-4 the rest of the way and you think that has the fan base jacked but you're constantly crapping on a 4-2 Pitt program. Makes perfect sense.
Yes. I think they are jacked as heck right now. They arent thinking "well, we're only going to win 2 or 3 more games so lets not get excited." They are 6-0, have a sell-out crowd and are favored over a ranked Wolfpack team. The Carrier Dome will be electric. Pitt hasnt started a season like that in 40 years.

My first year at Pitt was 1982, or as I like to say looking back on it in retrospect, the beginning of the end.

My freshman year was the end. Finished ranked and beat A&M in the John Hancock Bowl (Sun Bowl). It was 8 more years until they made the Liberty Bowl under WLAT.

I think there was a lot of excitement surrounding the Clemson game.

And I think the November excitement had more to do with playing for an ACC Championship and individual accolades for KP & JA. Very little to do with the Peach Bowl.
Yeah I don’t buy at all there wasn’t excitement. Clemson last year he’ll the Peach Bowl which I attended was exciting and fun. The game versus Wake the Virginia game. This season both the WVU and Tennessee games. Considering the GT loss the crowd at VT the following week seemed pretty loud on my TV. I’m not sure what games some people are watching here? We aren’t a Moo U land grant school with 100k in attendance. So what?

Reactions: TD_6082
That was my freshman year and I was like this is awesome we're gonna go to a bowl game...well as we all know that didn't exactly play out no did it!!! Nor did we go to a bowl game during my time at Pitt...and I was even on the 5 year plan.
That is the worst 5-year period you could choose. We stunk in basketball as well.

It’s were you end up that counts Syracuse has played a lite schedule up to now see what happens next few weeks. After the Acc championship game the pitt fan base was buzzing. It was a great time in Charlotte. Hope Pitt can figure it all out and make a run this year.

SMF makes some good points here. Sorry if the truth draws blood.

SMF makes some good points here. Sorry if the truth draws blood.
If we were 8-0, ranked #7, playing Syracuse, excitement around the program would be at its highest since the 80s. I dont want to say they would sell out Syracuse, but it would get reasonably close. Fans need those types of games. If we lost our last 4 to finish 8-4, no one could take away the excitement we all felt from the start of the season. Pitt's annual Week 2 or Week 3 loss kills all the excitement for the season.

ADVERTISEMENT