ADVERTISEMENT

Au'diese Toney CB'd to Pitt

@MarcusHelton
45m
Miller School (Va.) 2019 wing Aundre Hyatt will rejoin the class of 2018, per a source. Hyatt currently holds 20+ D-I offers, with the latest coming this week from Louisville.

-Looking Good for Toney.

The signing of top-100 guard Trey McGowens gives Pitt the foundational player it needs to rebuild the program. It has also given the Panthers serious momentum on the recruiting trail.

Pitt already gained another commitment from 3-star guard Xavier Johnson, and have also garnered interest from other prospects. One of those interested is McGowens’ AAU teammate Au’Diese Toney after he received an offer from the Panthers on Monday.

“Both Coach Capel and his brother attended all of my games over the weekend in Indianapolis and Coach Jason was the one that called to offer me,” Toney told Pittsburgh Sports Now’s Mike Vukovcan. “He told me that they really liked my game, liked my upside and felt that I’m a versatile player that would be able to guard multiple positions.”

”Being a former guard, I feel like Coach Capel would be able to show me a lot of the ins and outs of being a great guard and get me to the next level.”

Toney ranks as the 16th-best shooting guard and 116th overall player in the Class of 2019, according to 247Sports’ composite rankings. He also has offers from Virginia, Virginia Tech, Kansas State and nine other schools.

McGowens and Toney have built a strong relationship and have discussed the possibility of playing together at the collegiate level.

“I’m happy to see how good he’s doing. Every time one of us would get an offer the other one shared it and we would start talking about a package deal or whatever,” McGowens told Vukovcan. “I’m always talking to him about joining me so we can do something we always hoped of doing.”

Pitt landing another 4-star guard would help expedite the rebuilding process of the program, and it appears that the combination of Jeff Capel and McGowens could be the reason Toney signs on.

Its amazing how the vibe around the program has taken a complete 180.........

There is incredible hope and optimism that as soon as the 2019 season, this program could be competing be back in the NCAAs and playing at a reasonably high level

Where are all the folks who said we should have kept rip van winkle on for another year or two?

There is incredible hope and optimism that as soon as the 2019 season, this program could be competing be back in the NCAAs and playing at a reasonably high level

Where are all the folks who said we should have kept rip van winkle on for another year or two?
Those folks are sleeping? :rolleyes:

I was one and I’m right here happy to be proven wrong.

I didn’t think Pitt would be financially capable of hiring someone with the cache of Capel. Well done by Heather.

The only thing that matters is what they do here. Stallings couldn't recruit or coach. At least Capel is recruiting, which moves him ahead before he coaches a game. He would need to be worse than pathetic to outdo Stallings.

So there is no chance he is worse than Stallings. None.
Hard to be worse than 0-19.

Capel: .614 career winning percentage
Stallings: .597 career winning percentage

Also, Capel has reached the Elite 8, which is something KS never had on his resume.
org_Congrats.gif

I don't care about on the court coaching, I'd rather have a great recruiter bringing in studs, even going 20-10 every year with serious, rim rattling talent, would be good enough for me.

Well, I DO care about "on the court coaching," but given what we've had here the past two seasons leads me to agree with your conclusion.

The only thing that matters is what they do here. Stallings couldn't recruit or coach. At least Capel is recruiting, which moves him ahead before he coaches a game. He would need to be worse than pathetic to outdo Stallings.

So there is no chance he is worse than Stallings. None.

Notice this Pitt Waiting is a first time poster? They often bring an anti-Pitt negative agenda since they are often WVU or PSU fans or perhaps have some other agenda.

In addition to Capel already proving to be a far better recruiter, the comparative coaching records in terms of winning percentage also favor Capel.

Stallings--> 479-324 = 0.597
Capel--> 175-110 = 0.614

Even if you throw out Stallings" last two years at Pitt and Capel's last two at Oklahoma the wining percentage results still favors Capel (Note: Full disclosure--I didn't include the NCAA forfeited wins in Capel's next to last season at Oklahoma since that isn't relative to coaching)-->

Stallings--> 455-283 = 0.617
Capel--> 148-74 = 0.667

Well, I DO care about "on the court coaching," but given what we've had here the past two seasons leads me to agree with your conclusion.
In the best case scenario, yes, you want a good recruiter who's a good game day coach. But I'd prioritize recruiter if I had to pick between the two talents.

In the best case scenario, yes, you want a good recruiter who's a good game day coach. But I'd prioritize recruiter if I had to pick between the two talents.
well we've had coaches, mainly Evans who could recruit but lacked in game day coaching and we had a very good game day coach but couldn't recruit very well (Dixon). Which one would you choose? Pick your poison I guess.

Just by recruiting better athletes you immediately improve the man-to-man defense and the rebounding.

“Quick twitch” is the key - and if you find some of these guys who are actually good BB players, now we’re talkin’....

Go Pitt.

As an aside, it’s interesting seeing which posters are more or less active now that Stallings was canned.
I cant for the life of me pretend to comprehend the idea that any pitt basketball fan on this planet is upset at stallings not being our coach. I seriously cant believe such a person exists.

The only way to explain it would be that someone on here just wants to take the contrarian view just to argue or get others upset for their enjoyment. the guy that takes the other side just to argue.

Why do you guys even entertain and respond to first time posters who are coming fourth with negativity? The Program is full of positivity and anyone who doesn't think so is jealous. Pitt is on the way back in a big way. Just let the suckas sit there and steam. They can go ruffle feathers somewhere else.

Reactions: jaebree422
Hyatt and Toney to fill last two spots ??????

Hyatt told PSN that “Pitt is a favorite” and that “I plan on visiting once I get home from school.”

Last edited:
well we've had coaches, mainly Evans who could recruit but lacked in game day coaching and we had a very good game day coach but couldn't recruit very well (Dixon). Which one would you choose? Pick your poison I guess.

I don't think Evans was a good recruiter. Chipman (and the Golden Panthers?) were. Evans inherited Gore, Lane, Smith, Aiken. The only strong class he really had was 1988's five freshmen, recruited when Calipari was here (Cal basically went out and got Bobby Martin by himself.) That class was admittedly very good but after that he seemed to give up on recruiting until he was fired.

Between those two, I'd pick Dixon. But if the choice is generic recruiter vs. generic game day coach, I'd go recruiter every time. Probably I'm just sick of watching Pitt have pitiful athletes and Florida Gulf Coast and Wichita State looking like Phi Slamma Jamma.

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
I don't think Evans was a good recruiter. Chipman (and the Golden Panthers?) were. Evans inherited Gore, Lane, Smith, Aiken. The only strong class he really had was 1988's five freshmen, recruited when Calipari was here (Cal basically went out and got Bobby Martin by himself.) That class was admittedly very good but after that he seemed to give up on recruiting until he was fired.
Evans couldn’t get his dog to go to Pitt by the time he’s was done at Pitt . He benefited from the previous coaches and they all benefited from the GoldenPanthers.

Hyatt and Toney to fill last two spots ??????

Hyatt told PSN that “Pitt is a favorite” and that “I plan on visiting once I get home from school.”
I think that would be a mistake - I would take Toney, Hyatt if we can't get Toney, but not both.

Would rather have a grad transfer big or Dawson.

Would rather have Frank Ferrari than Hyatt.

He had 2 St. Bernards back then. In his defense, he did walk them all over Forrest Hills.

Evans couldn’t get his dog to go to Pitt by the time he’s was done at Pitt . He benefited from the previous coaches and they all benefited from the GoldenPanthers.

I think that would be a mistake - I would take Toney, Hyatt if we can't get Toney, but not both.

Why not one now (Toney) and the other in class of 2019 (Hyatt)? That way we can still take a grad transfer big for 2018 (Dawson).

Hyatt is shooter. They need more shooters.

ADVERTISEMENT