ADVERTISEMENT

Austin Cooley Commits

Never seen him wrestle. Just hope he is better than the other ranked wrestler we got from Wyoming Seminary who didn’t pan out. We are due to get a productive wrestler from there!

I watched several matches online but I don't know him or his personality. He has improved significantly over the last couple of years but I think Gavin will be the ideal coach for him. Gavin made a name for himself by overcoming perceived athletic disadvantages with good positioning and technical intensity. That exactly what Cooley needs.

He stays aggressive and seems to have a good motor, but wrestles a lot like a football players mentality right now. He pushes and relaxes, staps and relaxes, pushes and relaxes. He needs to start thinking of himself in terms of "quick and relentless" instead of "big and strong." That will lead to chain wrestling and keep him in a good fundamental position all the time, instead of getting taken advantage of when he has those mental lapses.

A redshirt year with Gavin and Co will really be interesting to watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: mike412 and persp
A little more back ground for Gavin and Co latest commit.

https://news.theopenmat.com/blog/2018/07/04/sixth-ranked-austin-cooley-commits-to-pitt/

Article below explains why he got better over the last year. The Jack Davis experience likely helped with Austin in terms of familiarity but there is also mention of an Ohio State connection.

http://www.heraldnews.com/sports/20160311/prepping-for-big-time-somerset-berkley-sophomore-wrestler-austin-cooley-headed-for-nationally-renowned-prep-school-in-Pennsylvania

And YouTube has his match against the #5 over-all recruit, and #1 in the 197 weight, going to PSU. I am really, really looking forward to watching this kids development over his career as he works with Gavin. Particularly, when reflecting on the dramatic improvement the entire Pitt team made going back to the 2018 Clarion Bucknel experience.

Last edited:
Good articles there. Gives me a sense that he has the drive to really improve, which is what HCKG seems to look for in wrestlers.

That's a good thing, because in the three matches I watched on YouTube, he wrested a lot like Austin Bell: physical and aggressive with good athleticism, but limited offensive attack skills and a weakness in scrambles, both of which can be coached up.

Thinking that he is the kind of kid that would really benefit from a red shirt year, start to flash in year two then be ready to compete in year 3. Good pick up

Reactions: upitt98
Oh yea I always forget since I have a subscription and it just auto plays for me my bad guys

Wow, Davison is a hammer. Quick with the gut wrenches. I think he is tired of coming in the runnerup the last 2 years and on a mission. Davison headed to NorthWestern in the fall. Cooley looked small next to him, hopefully bulks up some this year

Last edited:
Cooley won consi semi’s 13-2, will wrestle for 3rd tomorrow. Looked slower and in pain at the break with his ankle. Hopefully doesn’t get worse over night

Cooley won consi semi’s 13-2, will wrestle for 3rd tomorrow. Looked slower and in pain at the break with his ankle. Hopefully doesn’t get worse over night

Yea he is tough Cooley looked like his ankle was an issue though. Either way Fargo All American is pretty good

Reactions: bigjohnk
No doubt, kid is tough. I don't know how often he does freestyle since 2 out of the 3 flo guys didn't pick him to All american, but worst case scenario he finishes 4th today. Impressed.

Reactions: lucac
Anyone specific to be rumored about committing? Maybe Headlee found a future heavyweight out in Fargo?

Heavyweight is going to be a loaded weight class in the NCAA the next couple years. A bunch of young studs coming up right now.

Reactions: bigjohnk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT