ADVERTISEMENT

Austin DeSanto

guyutethepig

Scholarship
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2017
DeSanto was just granted a release from Drexel. Cant say I am surprised after his behavior at the conference tourney and NCAAs. Rumors are swirling, but apparently Cael has already talked to him and the Brands boys are on their way to PA today to meet with him.

Not sure I'd want him as a teammate after what I saw from him this year. I've always been a fan of the kid, but he went way overboard a few times. Some people say he is borderline autistic, but I don't have any real info on this. I have known him since his freshman year in HS - he worked out at a club where I help coach and he's always been a VERY hard worker and a bit quirky, but Ive never seen him act unsportsmanlike like he did this year.

It will be interesting to see how he does moving forward in that, Micic initiated a Desanto melt down by simply holding Desantos left elbow. It was like a "cryptonite elbow tie" for Desanto. Holding his left elbow made him useless.

I'm curious to see if others saw that performance and curious to learn if Desanto can adapt moving forward.

Maybe guyutethepig has an insight to these questions.

Last edited:
DeSanto was just granted a release from Drexel. Cant say I am surprised after his behavior at the conference tourney and NCAAs. Rumors are swirling, but apparently Cael has already talked to him and the Brands boys are on their way to PA today to meet with him.

Not sure I'd want him as a teammate after what I saw from him this year. I've always been a fan of the kid, but he went way overboard a few times. Some people say he is borderline autistic, but I don't have any real info on this. I have known him since his freshman year in HS - he worked out at a club where I help coach and he's always been a VERY hard worker and a bit quirky, but Ive never seen him act unsportsmanlike like he did this year.
What happened? You mentioned autism, what behaviors lead you to believe it's autism?

I have seen it reported on various sites that Desanto is on the spectrum. Do not know if true.

A lot depends on his weight class.. If he plans to stay at 133, we have a problem with Cole Matthews also being at 133. I have heard that Desanto wants to go at 141. If true that would be great for Pitt if he had any interest since both Iowa and PSU both have 141 pounders who are freshman now. Both Iowa and PSU need a 133 pounder although PSU has several potential 133 pounders coming in this fall, all highly rated. Teste, Teasdale, and Roman. At PSU Desanto will have trouble making the line up. At Iowa he starts immediately at 133. I believe he and Lee are friends, but not sure of that.

Aaah...
MIckey Phillipi will be at 133.

I have no inside information but I suspect Mathews will be at 141 or redshirt.
Jack Davis, if his academic progress allows, will be in the same situation as Mathews.

The little antics I have seen, I believe he would be a distraction from what Gavin and Co are trying to build. Although I always attributed the unusual behavior to being what used to be called eccentric, the match against Micic at the NCAA tournament, was beyond eccentric. If you have not seen that - track it down.

I would be interested to know the whole story from the Drexel people. Perhaps they didn't work too hard to talk him out of leaving.

The micic match was over the top I agree but I think that is a good thing shows the kid isnt ok with losing now do I condone the arm bar no but it’s a learning experience I would be more concerned if the kid laid down and quit on himself

Seriously...the only point to the Komura arm bar is damage. I still haven't figured out the point to the cartwheel kick...lol?

I have seen a lot of pissed off wrestlers over the years but this must rate at the top of the stupid human tricks category.

Reactions: bwh05
Aaah...
MIckey Phillipi will be at 133.

I have no inside information but I suspect Mathews will be at 141 or redshirt.
Jack Davis, if his academic progress allows, will be in the same situation as Mathews.

The little antics I have seen, I believe he would be a distraction from what Gavin and Co are trying to build. Although I always attributed the unusual behavior to being what used to be called eccentric, the match against Micic at the NCAA tournament, was beyond eccentric. If you have not seen that - track it down.

I would be interested to know the whole story from the Drexel people. Perhaps they didn't work too hard to talk him out of leaving.

You are correct. I forgot about Phillipi. Cole is to be at 141 unless he red shirts. He could redshirt if Desanto were at Pitt.

Just catching up here:
What happened? You mentioned autism, what behaviors lead you to believe it's autism?

I dont have any personal beliefs about it, I'm just saying I've heard that and read it. Could all be rumors, who knows. I do know that he gets very very upset when he's out of sync with his "plan". For example, a few years ago at districts he couldnt find his headgear and he was freaking out. Not a superstitious thing, but a lack of control thing almost. When he would work out, it was like he was bothered if he had to stop - its like he had it in his head that practice had to progress a certain way and he'd get flustered if it didnt. Its hard to explain. Again, though - not saying that I think he's autistic - I'd have no way of judging this. I do know two autistic kids - one is severe the other is borderline, but that gives me no insight into anything.

The bigger question is does Pitt want him and do we have a chance?

He's a very good talent and I think if the other issues could be worked out, he'd be a great asset in the room. Do we have a shot? Probably not.

A lot depends on his weight class.. If he plans to stay at 133, we have a problem with Cole Matthews also being at 133. I have heard that Desanto wants to go at 141. If true that would be great for Pitt if he had any interest since both Iowa and PSU both have 141 pounders who are freshman now. Both Iowa and PSU need a 133 pounder although PSU has several potential 133 pounders coming in this fall, all highly rated. Teste, Teasdale, and Roman. At PSU Desanto will have trouble making the line up. At Iowa he starts immediately at 133. I believe he and Lee are friends, but not sure of that.

Phillipi is at 133. As others mentioned, Matthews or Davis will be 141/149 at somie point. I havent seen anywhere that he mentions he wants to go 141. I think he stays at 133 - he isnt big enough for 141.

Has he done things like this in previous matches this year? High school issues?

In HS he never did anything like this, but the only matches I can recall him losing was junior year to Lee in finals by tech and he didnt freak out, but he was angry (nothing wrong with that). Soph year he lost to Devin Brown (Franklin Regional, defending state champ, not at WVU) in a very close match where I think Brown stalled his tail off and should have been called multiple times. AD was the better wrestler. Again, he was pissed he lost, but he didnt freak out.

In college he had another meltdown in the conference semis when he lost. Kinda went after the kid and took some cheap shots. Throughout the year he and the coaches would often get visibly angry with each other after matches - so there was definitely some things leading up to the NCAAs meltdown. Also, in the wrestlebacks, he got called for stalling FOUR times in the last period or so. He was up 6-2 and was on bottom, got warned, then gave 1, 1, 2 to tie the score and it went to OT and he lost. He got pissed and then argue with his coaches when he left the match.

You are correct. I forgot about Phillipi. Cole is to be at 141 unless he red shirts. He could redshirt if Desanto were at Pitt.

I really dont think he wants to be at 141. Not sure where that came from - sure, he might be able to fit in somewhere at 141, but his best shot is at 133.

Just catching up here:

I dont have any personal beliefs about it, I'm just saying I've heard that and read it. Could all be rumors, who knows. I do know that he gets very very upset when he's out of sync with his "plan". For example, a few years ago at districts he couldnt find his headgear and he was freaking out. Not a superstitious thing, but a lack of control thing almost. When he would work out, it was like he was bothered if he had to stop - its like he had it in his head that practice had to progress a certain way and he'd get flustered if it didnt. Its hard to explain. Again, though - not saying that I think he's autistic - I'd have no way of judging this. I do know two autistic kids - one is severe the other is borderline, but that gives me no insight into anything.

He's a very good talent and I think if the other issues could be worked out, he'd be a great asset in the room. Do we have a shot? Probably not.

Phillipi is at 133. As others mentioned, Matthews or Davis will be 141/149 at somie point. I havent seen anywhere that he mentions he wants to go 141. I think he stays at 133 - he isnt big enough for 141.

In HS he never did anything like this, but the only matches I can recall him losing was junior year to Lee in finals by tech and he didnt freak out, but he was angry (nothing wrong with that). Soph year he lost to Devin Brown (Franklin Regional, defending state champ, not at WVU) in a very close match where I think Brown stalled his tail off and should have been called multiple times. AD was the better wrestler. Again, he was pissed he lost, but he didnt freak out.

In college he had another meltdown in the conference semis when he lost. Kinda went after the kid and took some cheap shots. Throughout the year he and the coaches would often get visibly angry with each other after matches - so there was definitely some things leading up to the NCAAs meltdown. Also, in the wrestlebacks, he got called for stalling FOUR times in the last period or so. He was up 6-2 and was on bottom, got warned, then gave 1, 1, 2 to tie the score and it went to OT and he lost. He got pissed and then argue with his coaches when he left the match.
If he was on the spectrum, or identified with Aspergers, there would probably be similar issues. But, if high school was more supportive with structure and used specific strategies to help him work through certain situations, those supports would not be in place in college. College would not offer the same support for him like grade school. He may be struggling to deal with certain situations because the supports that were in place are no longer there. Which could be why odd behaviors are starting to show up more. If there is something truly going on, very possible he is identified with autism or Aspergers. Hard to say without evaluating him. But I watched that clip, and I saw a very frustrated wrestler who knew he was done so he acted out, but that cartwheel seemed very odd, but almost like he thought maybe I can catch this guy off guard and get some last second points or back points. He almost pulled off a takedown, as odd as it was.

I just watched the video, that was special. Kid got frustrated and went off the rails a bit. Looked like he couldn't win the wrestling match so he wanted to turn it into a UFC fight.

Btw - I stand corrected - apparently there is some talk out there about him going to 141. Not sure where it’s coming from, but its being bandied about out there with all the other rumors.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT