ADVERTISEMENT

Best game I ever saw! Best team in the world goes down!

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
Man City goes down to Tottenham thanks to a VAR decision. Never has my heart pounded during a game and my team wasn’t even playing.

Spurs into the semi.

It was a great game. The offside call was correct but unfortunate. Aguero was about a foot offside when the ball was played toward him, but he had to come back onside to collect it. He didn’t gain an advantage by being offside.

I’m glad Spurs won because I think Ajax can beat them. I think the Barca v Liverpool tie will be for the trophy. I think Liverpool has too much speed on the flanks for Barca. But, their defense is suspect.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
It was a great game. The offside call was correct but unfortunate. Aguero was about a foot offside when the ball was played toward him, but he had to come back onside to collect it. He didn’t gain an advantage by being offside.

I’m glad Spurs won because I think Ajax can beat them. I think the Barca v Liverpool tie will be for the trophy. I think Liverpool has too much speed on the flanks for Barca. But, their defense is suspect.
Can’t disagee with anything you said. It’s really a shame how replay has impacted sports. Don’t get me wrong, he looked offside and I’m glad they lost, but the rule is in place for a reason and that wasn’t an example as to why.

The Manchester press and some other English writers were claiming today that VAR missed an angle that showed a clear handball by Llorente in what turned out to be the winning goal for Spurs. I watched every replay of every angle shown during the telecast multiple times and I don’t think he ever touched the ball with his arm. The announcer who claimed that a muscular twitch in his arm indicated that the ball had grazed it is delusional. The spin on the ball never changed until it came off his waist. To me, that was the key: if it had been a handball, the spin and direction of the ball would have changed at least a little, and they never did.

But, the fact that most of the press and the fans seem to have accepted VAR decisions on two such absolutely critical calls is somewhat comforting to me because I am in the group that wants the calls right and doesn’t worry about interrupting the flow of the match. The concept that soccer is a game with a continuous flow is rubbish anyway. They played 10 minutes of extra time in the two halves of that much to make up for all of the stoppages.

The Manchester press and some other English writers were claiming today that VAR missed an angle that showed a clear handball by Llorente in what turned out to be the winning goal for Spurs. I watched every replay of every angle shown during the telecast multiple times and I don’t think he ever touched the ball with his arm. The announcer who claimed that a muscular twitch in his arm indicated that the ball had grazed it is delusional. The spin on the ball never changed until it came off his waist. To me, that was the key: if it had been a handball, the spin and direction of the ball would have changed at least a little, and they never did.

But, the fact that most of the press and the fans seem to have accepted VAR decisions on two such absolutely critical calls is somewhat comforting to me because I am in the group that wants the calls right and doesn’t worry about interrupting the flow of the match. The concept that soccer is a game with a continuous flow is rubbish anyway. They played 10 minutes of extra time in the two halves of that much to make up for all of the stoppages.
Looked like a clear goal to me too. Plus his arm was tucked in. I guess they are changing the rules for next year that it doesn’t matter where your arm is, if it touches your arm and a goal is scored, it’s no goal.

Regarding your previous post, Someone told me Real was going to get Sterling instead of Hazard. Sterling is only 24. That would make me happy. Without Hazard, my Blues are in for a real down period. Plus, the team is on the market. If the wrong owner buys the team, Chelsea could go back to what they used to be...and they will be like pitt football, meaning a team that never wins.

Can’t disagee with anything you said. It’s really a shame how replay has impacted sports. Don’t get me wrong, he looked offside and I’m glad they lost, but the rule is in place for a reason and that wasn’t an example as to why.

I'm the rare person that HATES replay in all sports. I thought soccer would avoid it, as it's not American, and America micromanages and ruins everything. Sometimes I've seen games where they go to review a hand ball and come back with something totally unrelated or subjective that wasn't originally called, like red card, to me this stuff sucks, I'd rather they get a few wrong, because after watching NFL use replay for so long, don't you feel that VERY OFTEN after a 10 minute review it still feels wrong? So what's the use? I do prefer not interrupting the flow of the game, in any sport, I'd rather they just play on and have a controversy to talk about for the next 100 years. Hand of God? Immaculate Reception? The NFL this year will get worse, as they are reviewing PI calls, an extra reason to stop action, as if they need more! And you watch, they will go to look, and find some other thing to call that wasn't part of the challenge.

Anyways, I think one of the best games I ever watched was the 2015 Super Cup, Barcelona vs. Sevilla, Barca won 5-4 in extra time, it was played in Tbilisi, Republic of Georgia. I was actually there until two days before, as I have family there. If I didn't have a flight back, I would have stayed and went to it. I remember asking my nephew if he was going because he's a big Messi/Barca fan, and they said no, the tickets are too expensive, what? $40! I would of been there and brought him along if I could of stayed, I watched it on TV though.

That was the game I think where Barça led 4-0, Sevilla came back to tie it, and then Barça won very late, right?

2015 was the year Barça won 6 trophies: La Liga, the Spanish Cup, the Copa del Rey, the Champions League, the Super Cup and the World Club Championship Cup. No other team has ever won that many trophies in one year. I think that also was the season Messi scored 95 goals in all competitions. He played in more matches because there was the South American competition and World Cup qualifying.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fk_Pitt and Pitt79
That was the game I think where Barça led 4-0, Sevilla came back to tie it, and then Barça won very late, right?

2015 was the year Barça won 6 trophies: La Liga, the Spanish Cup, the Copa del Rey, the Champions League, the Super Cup and the World Club Championship Cup. No other team has ever won that many trophies in one year. I think that also was the season Messi scored 95 goals in all competitions. He played in more matches because there was the South American competition and World Cup qualifying.
Right, they jumped out to a big lead, Messi I think scored on a free kick like in the first couple minutes.

Pitt79: Tbilisi? My wife is Ukrainian. She loves Georgian red wine. Thinks it is the best wine in the world. When we were traveling through France and she would drink French wine, she would say that it was good, but not as good as Georgian wine. Most Georgian red wine is semi-sweet, and I think that is the secret of its appeal to her.

There is a wine store in New York that sells on the internet and has wines from Georgia (and almost everywhere else). I buy a case every month she is here (she goes back to Ukraine for June, July and August) and they ship them to us in California.

She also loves Georgian food. When I went to Ukraine to meet her family, she picked a Georgian restaurant. When we were in Budapest, the first afternoon we were there I saw a Georgian restaurant across the street. She loved it, and we ate one meal there all five days we were there. Now, every city we travel to, she checks Trip Advisor to see if there are any Georgian restaurants there. There are lots of Armenian restaurants in Los Angeles, but we haven’t been able to find a Georgian restaurant.

Mike, My wife is Georgian/Pontian Greek, she grew up in the old USSR. Georgian wine was the gold standard there from what I hear. I remember my first trip to Tbilisi (I've been there 4 times) in '99, the country then was pretty messed up in the post-apocalyptic Soviet decay of the time (most of the potholes had streets around them-LOL!), but the open air wine markets where awesome, you could sample everyone's product! I actually prefer the yellow wine. People would buy it in bulk in these giant plastic cans, looked like gas cans. Or in jugs etc.

They have a wine making tradition that predates France or anywhere else. Supposedly they make three types of wine, that are unlike any other in the world. In Baltimore there are a good number of Georgians and a lot of former USSR people, it's common to hear Russian being spoken in some neighborhoods, there is at least one Georgian restaurant, and multiple Russian places that offer Georgian food. My wife makes that stuff at home, DC and NY of course also probably have more such places. In common liquor stores in the "Russian/Jewish" area, in Baltimore- Reisterstown Road, Pikesville, no problem getting Georgian wine, imported from there, it's not even expensive $15-20/bottle.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lanabo...g-the-most-unique-on-the-planet/#1fb1f206cb09

tot out of gas. liverpool can't beat barca. barca already won the league so will rest up for ajax in the final. 4-0 and the idiots will still tell you that ronaldo is as good as messi.

tot out of gas. liverpool can't beat barca. barca already won the league so will rest up for ajax in the final. 4-0 and the idiots will still tell you that ronaldo is as good as messi.
Mohammed Saleh of Liverpool is out for the game as well.

care to amend this one?
Still holds true. Because I didn’t see today’s game unfortunately.

What liverpool did today was historic. And without their two best players! I’m not happy about it, but how could anyone not be impressed?

I wish every sports fan who rails on soccer had a chance to see that today. I’m sure it was a great example of why the sport is so great.

Still holds true. Because I didn’t see today’s game unfortunately.

What liverpool did today was historic. And without their two best players! I’m not happy about it, but how could anyone not be impressed?

I wish every sports fan who rails on soccer had a chance to see that today. I’m sure it was a great example of why the sport is so great.

i'm watching tonight. ya know, b/c i am employed.

what's strange is that i used to be able to watch on the fox app. while working. but now you can only watch on TBS/TNT/whatever. you literally need to be in front a tv. so weird. they've regressed.

Wow, what a comeback by Liverpool. It actually made me think the two game aggregate thing can be exciting. Even though the score in that game was 4-0, Barca still could of won the series with an away goal in the end, made a blowout game still worth watching to the end.

I DVRed it and watched it last night by the way.

Wow, what a comeback by Liverpool. It actually made me think the two game aggregate thing can be exciting. Even though the score in that game was 4-0, Barca still could of won the series with an away goal in the end, made a blowout game still worth watching to the end.

I DVRed it and watched it last night by the way.
Unfortunately it seems that Man City and Liverpool are in a league by themselves. A couple of years ago, Virgil Van Dyk was considering his transfer to Liverpool or Chelsea. At the time, when he picked Liverpool, I questioned why he would do that over Chelsea. It turns out he was right. He is now considered one of the best centerbacks in the world, and probably the best in england. Maybe he would have made a huge difference with Chelsea too, but Liverpool and City are like 24 pts in front of Chelsea who is in 3rd place with one game left. Those two clubs are far and away the best right now, are head and shoulders in a different league. And Liverpool now has made it to two straight Champions League Finals.

Depressing.

I don't really have a favorite English team? I just can't feel it for any of them? I have been rooting for Liverpool this year because a co-worker of mine is a real fan, so I figure why not but I just don't feel it

And a thing I don't like about the English League, no championship game or playoffs, they get to that last week and often all the games are meaningless for the championship. I know, the top 4 or something get in the CL, but so what?

I don't really have a favorite English team? I just can't feel it for any of them? I have been rooting for Liverpool this year because a co-worker of mine is a real fan, so I figure why not but I just don't feel it

And a thing I don't like about the English League, no championship game or playoffs, they get to that last week and often all the games are meaningless for the championship. I know, the top 4 or something get in the CL, but so what?
No actually the last weekend is awesome because there is always something on the line and every game kicks off at the same time. Not only for teams at the top vying for the League title, or a champions league birth, or a Europa League birth. Then the teams at the bottom are fighting relegation. It’s a lot of fun and it really is incredible football compared to what we are used to around here.

i'm watching tonight. ya know, b/c i am employed.

what's strange is that i used to be able to watch on the fox app. while working. but now you can only watch on TBS/TNT/whatever. you literally need to be in front a tv. so weird. they've regressed.
Holy shit. And the other semifinal was just as good! I’ll say it now...if you’re a sports fan and didn’t see these two semifinals, you’re missing out.

Steve Nash is actually in the tv studio right now crying like a baby. He’s a huge Tottenham fan.

There’s nothing like the drama that sports provides. And there may never have been drama in sports like these two semi finals.

No actually the last weekend is awesome because there is always something on the line and every game kicks off at the same time. Not only for teams at the top vying for the League title, or a champions league birth, or a Europa League birth. Then the teams at the bottom are fighting relegation. It’s a lot of fun and it really is incredible football compared to what we are used to around here.

Had Liverpool not gotten that late goal last Saturday this weekend would have been the rare one with essentially nothing on the line in the EPL. Liverpool would have needed a win and a City loss combined with overcoming the goal difference differential, in other words, not likely. And as it is the rest is almost all done and dusted. The only other thing on the line is the unlikely potential of a Tottenham loss and very large Arsenal win to overturn that goal difference for a Champions League spot and Arsenal and Man U deciding who gets directly into the Europa League and which one has to beat a completely out-manned side from one of the little leagues to get in.

Steve Nash is actually in the tv studio right now crying like a baby. He’s a huge Tottenham fan.

I believe that is now the third or fourth team in the Champions League this year that Steve Nash has lost his shit over in the studio because he's been a huge fan of theirs his whole life.

As a soccer analyst, he is, ah, not good. Not good at all.

I believe that is now the third or fourth team in the Champions League this year that Steve Nash has lost his shit over in the studio because he's been a huge fan of theirs his whole life.

As a soccer analyst, he is, ah, not good. Not good at all.
He’s a life long spurs fan. And Not a good analyst.

And not a good chooser of soccer clubs.

He’s a life long spurs fan

Yes, and earlier this season when they were broadcasting a game from the Camp Nou he was also a lifelong Barca fan who was fulfilling a life long dream by being there for a Champions League game. I only saw the second half of that one, but he did it with Stuart Holden on the "play by play" and it was like watching a game with two homers in the announcers booth.

He’s a life long spurs fan. And Not a good analyst.

And not a good chooser of soccer clubs.

i assume they're trying to tie in their NBA contract, which is just bizarre.

fox's coverage all around was so much better. i tried to watch the replays on TNT but it doesn't work. it asks for log in. you log in. it's accepted. then doesn't work. garbage.

I still can’t write about the tie, except to say it was won by one of the two great managers in soccer against a manager who is an empty suit. Valverde learned nothing from the first leg. He didn’t learn that he needed more pace on the attack and on defense. He started Coutinho, Lenglet and Roberto again and Barcelona paid the price.

Not only did Klopp take full advantage of Barca’s lack of pace, but he noticed on video how slow Barca is to set up on corner kicks. He instructed the ball boys at Anfield to get the ball in quickly. And the result was a goal where none of the 11 Barca players were hustling. Liverpool scored 4 goals — all from inside of 12 meters due to poor defending and lack of hustle. And, when Liverpool scored the two goals in two minutes to tie it, Barca quit. Except for Messi. Hell, Coutinho quit before the game started; Sergio Busquets played on autopilot; Jordi Alba had the worst game of his Barca career. Besides Messi, the only one who played with any heart was Vidal.

The television rights in the US are a joke. Bleacher Report got them and the result is one match a day with no Europa League coverage. Want to watch more? Subscribe to Bleacher Reports and watch it PPV on their app. An absolute disgrace!

There are two games tomorrow, potentially good games, in the Europa League and Turner is showing, ah, none of them. Just like they have all season.

If you are a fan of "Bones" though, you're in luck!
I think they bought the rights and only stream EL. With only the final on TV.

Yes, and earlier this season when they were broadcasting a game from the Camp Nou he was also a lifelong Barca fan who was fulfilling a life long dream by being there for a Champions League game. I only saw the second half of that one, but he did it with Stuart Holden on the "play by play" and it was like watching a game with two homers in the announcers booth.
I don’t get that. How can someone be so passionate about multiple clubs in the same sport? He was literally crying yesterday. TNT has had him in studio for all of the Spurs games. Not sure he adds anything...other than cross sport marketing I suppose.

I suppose people can take a liking to a club in each of the top leagues, but I find it hard enough to follow one club in only one league. I tried watching an MLS game the other day between DC United and Columbus, but the level of play was slow and not very skilled. I think for me to follow the MLS, I’d have to have a vested interest in a team, like if Pittsburgh had a team. Then I’d probably enjoy it and hold season tix. As it stands, I haven’t watched a Riverhounds game since they played in Washington, PA. That was so long ago, Zidane was still playing for France and head butting opponents in the World Cup. The Riverhounds showed that game on the scoreboard at Wild Things stadium and we watched from the outfield grass in our sideline chairs. My youngest were toddlers I believe at the time and sitting in a stroller. Now one is headed to college soon.

I still can’t write about the tie, except to say it was won by one of the two great managers in soccer against a manager who is an empty suit. Valverde learned nothing from the first leg. He didn’t learn that he needed more pace on the attack and on defense. He started Coutinho, Lenglet and Roberto again and Barcelona paid the price.
!
Hard not to like Klopp, but I can’t stand Liverpool. And I’m gutted seeing a London team in the Final. I’m not happy Barca and Ajax lost.

Hard not to like Klopp, but I can’t stand Liverpool.

That's how I feel as well. Klopp's teams play a great style to watch and he gets the most out of his guys. I'd love to root for his team. But it's Liverpool. And the impression I've always had, rightly or wrongly, is that it's fitting that the guy who owns Liverpool also owns the Boston Red Sox, because I find fans of both teams generally insufferable.

Yet, Liverpool never has won the Premier League. And if Man City wins today, it still won’t have won one.

I’m not a fan of the team, but I am a fan of Klopp and love to watch any team he coaches. He and Pep are head and shoulders above the field, both in recognizing talent and finding talent that fits their system.

Yet, Liverpool never has won the Premier League. And if Man City wins today, it still won’t have won one.

I’m not a fan of the team, but I am a fan of Klopp and love to watch any team he coaches. He and Pep are head and shoulders above the field, both in recognizing talent and finding talent that fits their system.
There’s a local sports radio guy in Pittsburgh who has had the highest rated show in the market for 25 years. He’s a huge Liverpool supporter. The penguins and Liverpool are his passion. His favorite tag line is “have you ever seen the Flyers win the Stanley cup”. So I hope Liverpool continues to fall short so that one can always ask him “have you ever seen Liverpool win the Premier League”?

Reactions: Pitt79
There’s a local sports radio guy in Pittsburgh who has had the highest rated show in the market for 25 years. He’s a huge Liverpool supporter. The penguins and Liverpool are his passion. His favorite tag line is “have you ever seen the Flyers win the Stanley cup”. So I hope Liverpool continues to fall short so that one can always ask him “have you ever seen Liverpool win the Premier League”?
I thought I heard this morning that Liverpool won the championship in the '90s?

So did they slump at the end? I had thought a few weeks ago they where close to wrapping it up? I don't follow that closely.

Mark Madden, LOL.

I thought I heard this morning that Liverpool won the championship in the '90s?

So did they slump at the end? I had thought a few weeks ago they where close to wrapping it up? I don't follow that closely.

Mark Madden, LOL.
Liverpool has won the champions league but never the premier league since it’s inception in the early 90’s.

Man City won their last 13 league games in a row. In their last 13 Liverpool "only" won 11 and drew the other two. That was enough.

So it's like when people don't want to count NFL championships before Super Bowl I? :)

correct. go with the idea that it's england's top division. liverpool are in the yankees category. they rebranded it the "premier league," but that doesn't mean anything at all. it remained simply england's top division. but SINCE that time, liverpool hasn't won it. so imagine the yankees go on a mad tare in the 70's up into the early 90's. then can't get past the division round of the playoffs. sort of like that.

Reactions: Pitt79
ADVERTISEMENT