ADVERTISEMENT

Best non-Pitt game ever

Boise St. vs Oklahoma. Statue of Liberty.
You beat me to it. Everyone else had gone to bed, but I stayed-up (alone) to watch this game in its entirety.

Even though I had no genuine attachment to either team, I was rooting for the underdog BSU team to give Oklahoma a good game.

Seeing David beat Goliath was an unexpected pleasure, and it was a tribute to offensive game preparation.

Carnegie Mellon 24, Dayton 21, Final, Overtime. 1978 NCAA Division III first round at Tech Field. Dayton had dropped two classes but had a roster loaded with D-I players. They were heavy favorites, the #2 seed vs. the Tartans at #7. Dayton elected to play on the road so they'd get a home game in the semifinals. Bad move. Legend has it that CMU coach Chuck Klausing flooded the field all week to slow the footing for the faster Flyers. Let's say that the Tech Field turf, below street level, tended to be muddy.

Since most everyone will have the biggest and most recent games, I will add some oldies but goodies that were terrific games but not on the radar…

1974 Michigan 16 vs Ohio St 13 – MSU beats #1 OSU at East Lansing. I picked this game because it had everything you dream of for a college football game. It had an overflow crowd, exciting plays, and a huge upset, with a controversial ending - Last 4 minutes

1984 Maryland 42 vs Miami 40 – A comeback for the ages…

1977 – Oklahoma 29 vs Ohio St 28

Referee Guman calling Mike McCloskey inbounds at the one was the reason UPS won their first NC.
One of them, but if SMU had beaten Arkansas, that call wouldn't have mattered because SMU would have had a perfect season, meaning that Penn St. beating #1 Georgia wouldn't have been enough to jump up to the top spot.

One of them, but if SMU had beaten Arkansas, that call wouldn't have mattered because SMU would have had a perfect season, meaning that Penn St. beating #1 Georgia wouldn't have been enough to jump up to the top spot.
I know but UPS winning a game because of a bad call by a ref who's son had played there still pisses me off.

ADVERTISEMENT