the_insider_

Freshman
Gold Member
Dec 15, 2018
Running Back

1. Shady
2. Conner
3. Dion Lewis
4. Ray Graham (w/o injury may have ended up better than Lewis)
5. Ollison

Wide Receiver

1. Larry Fitzgerald
2. Tyler Boyd
3. John Baldwin
4. Antonio Bryant
5. Devin Street
HM: Derek Kinder

Feel free to add players and other positions!

Running Back

1. Shady
2. Conner
3. Dion Lewis
5. Ollison

Wide Receiver

1. Larry Fitzgerald
2. Tyler Boyd
3. John Baldwin
4. Antonio Bryant
5. Devin Street

LB:

1) Gerald Hayes
2) Scott McKillup
3) HB Blades
4) Lew Moore
5) Amir Purifouy

Concerning that we haven't had any dominant LB's the past decade,

LB:

1) Gerald Hayes
2) Scott McKillup
3) HB Blades
4) Lew Moore
5) Amir Purifouy

Concerning that we haven't had any dominant LB's the past decade,

For my lifetime LB has been the demise of just about every defense. I'm not sure why that's the case, but it is. Even now with the defense, LB is the weak spot. You'd think with the defense they run and the success they're having they'd get more highly rated LBers interested. But it seems like they're never even in the mix for them.

For my lifetime LB has been the demise of just about every defense. I'm not sure why that's the case, but it is. Even now with the defense, LB is the weak spot. You'd think with the defense they run and the success they're having they'd get more highly rated LBers interested. But it seems like they're never even in the mix for them.

That was part of Walt's downfall, missing out on Lee & Pozlusny. 2 dominant LB's were able to help turn PSU around.

But have there been many local LB's at that level lately? Adams was a monumental bust. Chase Pine was a decent national recruit who has yet to come into his own.

Also I like your list but no way is Baldwin higher than Bryant. Bryant help lead Pitt out of the dark ages.

Assuming you are putting these in order so I have to challenge Baldwin over Bryant. All else I concur.

Running Back

1. Shady
2. Conner
3. Dion Lewis
5. Ollison

Wide Receiver

1. Larry Fitzgerald
2. Tyler Boyd
3. John Baldwin
4. Antonio Bryant
5. Devin Street

Reactions: cease10
IMO, without pulling stats and just going off of memory of watching them play live... No list should ever have Baldwin higher than Bryant. C.Session, P.Clarke, and T.Tumulty are also LBs that I would move onto the list. Barlow would probably make my RB list and L.Grim to WR list.

Last edited:
Billy west. Poor guy decide to put his engineering classes ahead of football practice and got demoted.

he was a fun back to watch. Jon Baldwin ahead of Antonio Bryant is so absurd that I don’t know where to begin with even replying to that insanity. I’d put kinder ahead of baldwin.

Was going to make a similar comment, I’d have Bryant #2 behind only Fitzgerald.

Reactions: 4upmc and Pitt5593
Running Back

1. Shady
2. Conner
3. Dion Lewis
5. Ollison

Wide Receiver

1. Larry Fitzgerald
2. Tyler Boyd
3. John Baldwin
4. Antonio Bryant
5. Devin Street

Bryant is #2

Running Back

1. Shady
2. Conner
3. Dion Lewis
5. Ollison

Wide Receiver

1. Larry Fitzgerald
2. Tyler Boyd
3. John Baldwin
4. Antonio Bryant
5. Devin Street

Bryant definitely #2

Was going to make a similar comment, I’d have Bryant #2 behind only Fitzgerald.
AB vs Boyd is a great debate.

I’d honestly put street ahead of baldwin with zero hesitation and like I said, specific to pitt football only, I put kinder ahead of baldwin too.

Bryant is easily #2 WR behind Fitz. I’d even say there’s a significant drop off after those two.

IMO, without pulling stats and just going off of memory of watching them play live... No list should ever have Baldwin higher than Bryant. C.Session, P.Clarke, and T.Tumulty are also LBs that I would move onto the list. Barlow would probably make my RB list and L.Grim to WR list.
Barlow definitely belongs. He was very under used here.

Billy west. Poor guy decide to put his engineering classes ahead of football practice and got demoted.

he was a fun back to watch. Jon Baldwin ahead of Antonio Bryant is so absurd that I don’t know where to begin with even replying to that insanity. I’d put kinder ahead of baldwin.
Bryant ahead of Baldwin for sure. If not for one great block you wouldn’t remember Kinder.

Bryant ahead of Baldwin for sure. If not for one great block you wouldn’t remember Kinder.
Ok, I just looked up his stats and I need to slow down a bit. He had a good 06 but yeah, he’s not ahead of baldwin. I retract my earlier statement.

LB
1. Gerald Hayes
2. Scott McKillop
3. Phil Clarke
4. Tom Tumulty
5. HB Blades

WR
1a. Fitz
1b. Bryant

2. Boyd
3. Latef
4. Lee
5. Kinder

I’ll take a shot at quarterback:

1. Tyler Palko
2. Rod Rutherford
3. Nate Peterman
4. Bill Stull
5. Kenny Pickett

I’m hesitant to add Pickett in fear of recent memory trumping my decision-making, but I think he’s progressed into a solid QB despite the coordinator turnover. Was thinking about adding Pete Gonzalez to the list. Tino shouldn’t make it... right?

I’ll take a shot at quarterback:

1. Tyler Palko
2. Rod Rutherford
3. Nate Peterman
4. Bill Stull
5. Kenny Pickett

I’m hesitant to add Pickett in fear of recent memory trumping my decision-making, but I think he’s progressed into a solid QB despite the coordinator turnover. Was thinking about adding Pete Gonzalez to the list. Tino shouldn’t make it... right?

Pete and Savage should bump Stull and KP.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Pete and Savage should bump Stull and KP.
I was also considering Savage but passed on him since he was only here for a year, though I think he was definitely one of the five most talented QBs we’ve had since then.

I’m hesitant to drop Stull, though. Maybe it’s because of the weapons he had at his disposal (or maybe it’s some revisionist history), but he led a strong offense led Pitt to a nine/ten win seasons.

Is this better?
1. Palko
2. Rutherford
3. Peterman
4. Gonzalez
5. Stull
HM. Savage

I was also considering Savage but passed on him since he was only here for a year, though I think he was definitely one of the five most talented QBs we’ve had since then.

I’m hesitant to drop Stull, though. Maybe it’s because of the weapons he had at his disposal (or maybe it’s some revisionist history), but he led a strong offense led Pitt to a nine/ten win seasons.

Is this better?
1. Palko
2. Rutherford
3. Peterman
4. Gonzalez
5. Stull
HM. Savage

I might flip flop Palko and Rutherford. Definitely #1 and #2 though.

Is this better?
1. Palko
2. Rutherford
3. Peterman
4. Gonzalez
5. Stull
HM. Savage

Yeah Savage only had one year, but I kind of figured that despite starting multiple seasons, Stull only had one really good season. Stull has Baldwin and DD, whereas Savage had Boyd and Street. TS absolutely had the better arm, so that’s what tipped it for me, but they’re pretty close.

Oh, and add an HM for Greg Cross.

I know Boyd had better overall total yards over 3 years but I’ll take Bryant. People forget what a talent Bryant was IMO. He had more TDS and his YPC were better than Boyd. His Soph year he dominated.

Yeah Savage only had one year, but I kind of figured that despite starting multiple seasons, Stull only had one really good season. Stull has Baldwin and DD, whereas Savage had Boyd and Street. TS absolutely had the better arm, so that’s what tipped it for me, but they’re pretty close.

Oh, and add an HM for Greg Cross.

Peterman - Palko - Priestley - Pickett - Savage

HM - Voytik

Tough, smart QBs

I know Boyd had better overall total yards over 3 years but I’ll take Bryant. People forget what a talent Bryant was IMO. He had more TDS and his YPC were better than Boyd. His Soph year he dominated.

I think this has to do with the age factor of posters. On twitter, I've been reading the these posts where people are listing the top 5 best players they've ever seen in HS. Guys, like WPIALInsider are really showing how young they are when they list - Pryor, Boyd, Foster, Shell, etc...

AB was spectacular in college, especially his freshman and sophomore years. His junior year he had that terrible high ankle sprain. I would also say that AB faced the best competition of all those receivers listed and a constant rotation at QB while he was here.

My favorite AB moment is when he begged Notre Dame's Shane Walton to come out of off man and press him. He was waving for him to come up and press. I haven't seen that before or since.

Reactions: 4upmc
Outside of Palko’s ‘04 season and Petermans ‘16 campaign, I can’t remember feeling that QB play was a particular strength of the team.

Running Back

1. Shady
2. Conner
3. Dion Lewis
5. Ollison

Wide Receiver

1. Larry Fitzgerald
2. Tyler Boyd
3. John Baldwin
4. Antonio Bryant
5. Devin Street

RB:
Shady
Conner
Dion
Barlow
Graham

WR:
Fitzgerald
Bryant
Grim
Baldwin
Lee

QB:
Palko
Rutherford
Peterman
Stull
Pickett
Turman/Priestley

Outside of Palko’s ‘04 season and Petermans ‘16 campaign, I can’t remember feeling that QB play was a particular strength of the team.

I felt very comfortable with Rutherford dropping back in ‘03. Mostly because he was throwing to Fitz, but still..

Reactions: kma0043
Pistol Pete and Rutherford had big Sr. seasons.
I agree with Pete’s ‘97 season, especially considering how crappy the 90s were up to the point. I think why I don’t remember Rutherford as fondly because that extra level/talent was there in him; he just didn’t push Pitt over the top.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT